ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thud when changing gear

LY R26 #288
I've got a little issue thats starting to get annoying.

When I pull away in first I get a thud that feels like its going through the whole car when I release the clutch, and it does it when I change into second and third. Not so much in the higher gears.

I'm sure it hasn't always been like it. It seems like I really have to nurture the clutch when I release it to avoid the 'thud'

I'm thinking engine mounts are the problem, but theres not a lot of movement on the gear stick when accerating or on the overrun. So surely it can't be the dogbone mount.

What one is it more likely to be?.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
any or all of the mounts. Could well be the long stud on the gearbox mount has come loose too

LY R26 #288
I forgot to mention (not sure if it's linked but could be) in the wet when I go over water laying on the road I get horrendous vibration through the car I think it's the exhaust vibrating somewhere and it'll be constant for about a min or two after driving over a puddle in the road and then it'll eventually go again.

LY R26 #288
Ok will check this out first. What's the best way to access them? From the top with the battery tray out the way?

LY R26 #288
Well I whipped my battery out to check the gearbox mount and it looked in good nick, all bolts looked and felt ok. And the rubber looked as new.

Stumped now. There's not much that can go wrong with the drivers side mount as far as I can see the rubber bit looks in good condition.

I also cant see much movement at all when trying to wobble the engine by hand.

LY R26 #288
Nope I topped that up recently and it needed hardly any at all. Could it just be that I'm being to heavy with the clutch? It his quiet stiff maybe im just being lazy and letting it up to quick/hard

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Nope I topped that up recently and it needed hardly any at all. Could it just be that I'm being to heavy with the clutch? It his quiet stiff maybe im just being lazy and letting it up to quick/hard

Same problem here, mine bangs from 1st to 2nd with a hard change and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd. Have changed gearbox oil to the level but not replaced mounts yet. Thinking of the K-Tec solid mounts and see what happens when fitting.

Read that you cannot tell if a mount is worn by hand, you need a bar to check for excess movement.

Keep us posted if you get any joy.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you can tell if the upper gearbox mount is worn by taking if off. The insides get quite chewed up

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You can't tell whether a mount is past it's best by looking at it (unless it's absolutely ruined).

Thud when changing gear is the engine moving something and taking up the 'slack' in the drivetrain before applying torque to the wheels. This will usually be something loose or saggy engine mounts.

LY R26 #288
I did have to adjust the drivers side mount as my exhaust was vibrating on the over run. It didn't make any difference to this thud though. Maybe that ones had it. Ill probably have a mess around tomorrow see how slack they are with a bar or somethin.

LY R26 #288
I'm probably going to do the gearbox one as it's cheap but my suspicion lies with the drivers side one. There's a few mm of gap either side of the rubber which doesn't seem to be there on pics of new mounts and I was able to push it back and forth easily with a little 10mm spanner as a lever

172 Iceberg
I forgot to mention (not sure if it's linked but could be) in the wet when I go over water laying on the road I get horrendous vibration through the car I think it's the exhaust vibrating somewhere and it'll be constant for about a min or two after driving over a puddle in the road and then it'll eventually go again.

I get the very same thing, a real loud banging/vibration!

LY R26 #288
Yeah it is very odd. I know my exhaust is close to the underneath near the back but I don't know why water would make it start vibrating against it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Gearstick has a rod linkage on the Clio so you wouldn't get much movement when accelerating/decerating anyway. When I inspected mine it was in pretty awful condition. The gearstick didn't move but you could feel the engine moving before applying power to the wheels.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine now doing this, which mount is best to replace first? Or worth doing all three?