ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thule fitting advice

172 cup
has anyone got any tips for fitting the rear roof rack as i was struggling when i tried earlier, cheers

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
What was your problem?

I've got Thule racks. They were the only ones I could find that didn't involve drilling holes in the roof and permanent fitting.

The dealer ordered mine, then when they arrived he fitted them with me watching to adjust the width correctly and show me how to do it the next time I had to. Then we tagged which was the front rack and which was the rear - they're set to different widths - and which was left and right on each rack. If you bought over the counter the dealer should have done that for you.

It does look a bit dodgy to have the base of the rear rack pressing down on that slide-out section of panelling. And it doesn't seem very secure to have it hooked under the lip of the rear side windows. But it works well enough.

Maybe you're trying to put the back rack too far back. I would have preferred to have the front and rear racks as far apart as possible, but the rear rack only fits securely towards the front of the rear side windows.

Just to echo what's been said above, make sure you're following the instructions regarding positioning on the car - it tells you the measurements in the info mine came with.

And yeah, it doesn't seem very secure having it hooked under the lip of the rear side windows, but I (and Rory182) can vouch for the security of that at, ahem, quick speeds... What might help is pulling the edge of the rubber seal at the top of the rear side window out, slip in the plastics credit card (or any actual credit card) before fitting the "hook" bits directly against the car metal. Gets a more secure attachment that way rather than the rubber seal getting in the way.

PM me mate if you're still having problems!

You'll find various pics showing where the rack should be attached in here or here

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
set out the 4 foot locks at the right amounts, then position at the measurements as stated (with bars attached). The rear one is a hassle initially as you have to slide it from the door side under the rubber drain and then get it to the desired position.

Once youv done that on both sides, tighten a little to stay in place.

The front one clips under the door frame, there is 2 ridges, line it up correctly and then slot in the triangular twisted piece and turn to lock in place. Same for other side

Then tighten the rear ones.

The cycle carrier is guid fun too!!

And another thing, I've found the rubber pads were scratching my roof, so I got some paint protection film (the stuff that can be fitted to the front of cars to stop stone chips, etc.) from ebay and stuck bits of it to the roof where the rack attaches. They're clear and although you can still see them, I'd rather have that than wreck my paintwork.

You can just see the edges of the film in this pic

clio 182 black /gold
Here is mine
DSCF1084.jpg

172 cup
i found the problem, one sides clear but on the drivers side rear window the seal has not been fitted very well and i cant get the metal hook in far enough,
something tells me im going to struggle getting reno to fix it.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
ah i think i know what you mean, you need to run a tack under it and pull it back out from under the the glass if its wedged in

Clio 197
Two things:

You'll find 2 little arrows on the window itself. They're visible on the top edge (where the window fades-out).

You want the metal hook (coated in rubber hopefully) to sit right in between them.

It should fit. PS slip a credit card behind the rubber window seal to get access to it.

172 cup
Two things:

You'll find 2 little arrows on the window itself. They're visible on the top edge (where the window fades-out).

You want the metal hook (coated in rubber hopefully) to sit right in between them.

It should fit. PS slip a credit card behind the rubber window seal to get access to it.

the credit card will only go in about 2 mm when slipped behind the seal on the duff side, on the side i can fit it goes in alot further and easier

Clio 197
Two things:

the credit card will only go in about 2 mm when slipped behind the seal on the duff side, on the side i can fit it goes in alot further and easier

Try a little WD40 then... it may slip-in some more.

If not, you'll need to dialate the gap somehow. :s

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
the one thats bonded to the body.

its a pity your in cheshire mate as i know what the issue is and how to fix it!

Clio 197
OH, I was refering to the one you can see...

...the window itself is bonded to the body, yes, but the bonding material shouldn't be so far out should it?

172 cup
so basically, i need to cut the seal away from the body :dapprove:

isnt there a danger that i could damage the seal