ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thunderbolt.

S3, Polo
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my options for data transfer to and from my 2012 (late 2011 model) 15" MBP (no expresscard slot). I currently use a USB 2.0/FW-800 passport drive that I bought with my MBP but it's only 500Gb (all that was available in-store at the time) and is not really suited to my needs of large-capacity and portability. I have a 1Tb USB 3.0 WD passport drive but the bottleneck is obviously the USB 2.0 ports.

The ideal would be upwards of 1Tb in a passport-sized device equipped with either TB or USB 3.0 and an adaptor for the mini display port. Does anything like this exist? Seems there's nothing that doesn't have an elaborate daisy-chain of devices that throttle data transfer rates.

Now I appreciate that Thunderbolt is a 'better' tech than USB 3.0 and is being fully supported alongside USB 3.0 in this year's releases from Intel but -on current evidence- I really feel that USB 3.0 has too much of a head-start over TB and that sensibly-priced, commonly-available peripherals are never going to happen and it'll be consigned to niche industries like Firewire/ FW-800.

It certainly reeks of Betamax vs. VHS where the inferior tech wins out...

I've loved my transition back to Macs but can't halp but feel a little ham-strung by my options in this area. And it seems like utter madness that Intel had the option to use a common USB connector to ease the transition to TB, but chose to use a mini display port connection!

S3, Polo
Fantastic! Exactly what I need.

You're right though, it's not cheap...

Any other details on the WD device?

EDIT - Ah, it's a MyBook. Nothing passport-sized as of yet.

Evo 5 RS
Thunderbolt is more likely to phase out firewire than it is USB 3.0. it's certainly taking off as PC motherboards will begin shipping with it in Q3 this year. The only problem with external storage at the moment is you're still only limited to the SATA bus, so you're unlikely to hit any blistering speeds with conventional storage. Same goes with the USB bus capacity.

Theres a nice review here of the Lacie. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5032/...tb-review-more-affordable-thunderbolt-storage

Thunderbolt is a great breakthrough for other trinkets too though.