ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time to plan the track car...

197, R26 F1, Cat'm 7
My mind is cast back the TG episode where they tried to improve the lap times of a Vel Satis by stripping, lowering etc. and didn't achieve a great deal. Renault have spent millions getting the Clio's sorted, so how can some cheap (or not) aftermarket bits make it better? Don't foget, if you strip it you'll alter the weight balance which should then ideally be accompanied by suspension geometry changes to compensate

The first job I had done my my 7 after running it in was a flat floor set-up so that I knew it was fully sorted for the track.

At least a few people seem to be giving you the best advice if you want to do track days properly/racing get a proper racing car single seat formula ford etc there built to race and cheap and get a tow car.

More likly you'll do a few days and thats it so just use the car as standard if you need new brakes upgrqade them but realy the issue is the wheels so better wheels with cheaper tyres say 15's would be more benefitial but you end up spending money and not realy fully using it.

WRX
Exactly my thoughts, spend a fortune on parts to save a few tenths? Keeping mine pretty much standard but with upgraded brakes and that's about it. Comfortably drive it there and back home hopefully, then drive to work in it next day. Instead of it sat on the drive doing nothing for about 350 days of the year.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Personally I don't see the point in stripping a Clio RS out unless you can put up with the noise if using on the road as well as on track. Yes fit a cage etc if you plan on using it a lot on track but it renders the car to be virtually a 2 seater car. Not very practical if being used daily. It all depends on your budget and what your main use of the car is going to be. There is a trackday car race series running now that not many people know about. MSV are running it. This year was the first year of it and its getting a good following. You need to take your ARDS test to compete but its a really cheap race series and lots of fun. www.msv.co.uk for info on the series and other events. Its getting some coverage inEVO magazine as one of the guys on the staff is running a Fiat Bravo in the series and doing quite well.