ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing Belt Help

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Hiya,

looking for some advice on the timing belt on the f4r - I’ve changed the belt and installed a keyway’d pulley from the Megane. Used the genuine tools and all the torques set and rotated the engine over 2 reolvutions and rechecked the timing.
I’m on my 5th time of setting and resetting and noticed each time the timing is ever so slightly out (horseshoe slips in with a little effort) but if I stick a socket on depahser and exhaust camshaft pulley and move it ever so slightly, the horseshoe wiggles loosely like it should.
Is this normal, any advice for getting it set as I don’t want to keep torquing the pulleys and taking them back off.

Cheers
Paul

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Did you even out the tension on the belt first with the pulleys loose?

@bloke

I spun it through some rotations but only after I’d done the pulleys up, I’ll give that a go cheers
The cam locking tool should loosely fit in after rotations have been performed yeah ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I spun it through some rotations but only after I’d done the pulleys up, I’ll give that a go cheers
The cam locking tool should loosely fit in after rotations have been performed yeah ?

It's been a while since I looked at the workshop manual, but I'm sure you leave the pulley nuts loose by a full turn or so and also the tensioner only nipped up to 8nm not it's full 25nm while you spin it round to even out the belt. The pulley nuts may want to tighten as you spin and also keep pushing the pulleys back against the head to make sure they're flush.

dan's cast offs.
did you lock the pulleys? i take it the horseshoe goes in but you have to put a bit of pressure on it to get it to line up and fit in the slots?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
did you lock the pulleys? i take it the horseshoe goes in but you have to put a bit of pressure on it to get it to line up and fit in the slots?

Yeah I lined them up perfectly and the tool wiggled loosely, but as soon as I started the turning over and rechecked they’ved moved ever so slightly to where I need to push the tool in. I think it might be from the belt tension as JamesBryan mentioned as I’ve just seen I’ve missed that section of 6 rotations with the pulleys loose in the workshop manual :)
Guessing I would have to do it with the crank pulley now it’s no longer floating. Couldn’t imagine it would make much difference.

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I lined them up perfectly and the tool wiggled loosely, but as soon as I started the turning over and rechecked they’ved moved ever so slightly to where I need to push the tool in. I think it might be from the belt tension as JamesBryan mentioned as I’ve just seen I’ve missed that section of 6 rotations with the pulleys loose in the workshop manual :)
Guessing I would have to do it with the crank pulley now it’s no longer floating. Couldn’t imagine it would make much difference.

Carl meant did you lock the pulley's themselves not just using the horshoe tool?

This thing on the left

pm_extra_shoot_043.jpg

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Carl meant did you lock the pulley's themselves not just using the horshoe tool?

This thing on the left

Oh sorry ! Yup locked them on the pulley side with the spacers and the tool - the pin in the crank and the horseshoe on the other side of the cam :)

Clio 182 ff
I the inlet side always moves more than the exhaust i found when doing mine

Aslong as the tool goes in even if its a little tight. Mine is like this and runs spot on

The timing will be ok

If its a good tooth out then redo it

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I the inlet side always moves more than the exhaust i found when doing mine

Aslong as the tool goes in even if its a little tight. Mine is like this and runs spot on

The timing will be ok

If its a good tooth out then redo it

Yeah I struggled to get the inlet to stay put aswell, I used the old bolt on the pulley with slight torque to stop it being kicked back while I set it. To be honest it will probably be fine the way it is, but while the engines out I wan't to be sure it's good - I don't fancy trying it again when it's in the bay haha

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I had this issue when doing mine with genuine tools. The pulley lock cog kept moving slightly when torquing the pulleys up. You need the nut on the tool/cog mega tight, i recall doing it up to 140nm and did not have an issue after that.