ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small timing deviations on the F4R

2002 Clio II Ph2 172
Hello.

I recently did my own belts, and everything went well. The car is more powerfull in every rpm. My cams looked like they where centered in the famous crank balancing hole before, and where slightly offset and considerably advanced.

About a day after having my 172 running again, i noticed that my non oem horseshoe was not perfectly straight. Only the inlet side on the tool is in a very slight advanced position. I used the pulley tool, but still..
Could this be enough to affect the performance of my all stock 172?
This is off course assuming that the inlet is really slightly advanced. You know, slight tolerances and so on.

Should i re-time it? Pics attached. Thank you very much.

The pick with the black tool shows the slight rotation better. About 1 degree?

20220502_234257.jpg
20220502_234158.jpg

2002 Clio II Ph2 172
It goes much beter now. Just still wondering, is a slight intake advance like the one in the pics, enough to lose/change a lot in these engines? Are they really that sensitive to not being perfectly centered? I dont have any dynos around here so i cant really tell, but i know a lot of members here have, and are very experienced with the cars. @NorthloopCup @MicKPM thank you.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It goes much beter now. Just still wondering, is a slight intake advance like the one in the pics, enough to lose/change a lot in these engines? Are they really that sensitive to not being perfectly centered? I dont have any dynos around here so i cant really tell, but i know a lot of members here have, and are very experienced with the cars. @NorthloopCup @MicKPM thank you.
That small a difference won’t make any noticeable improvements. You may get a very slight increase in midrange performance, but I really don’t think you’ll feel it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Stick it on a dyno and see what it makes.

That'll give you an idea if it's healthy or not.

I doubt you'll notice much as Northloop says, maybe a slight drop in torque if anything.

2002 Clio II Ph2 172
Thanks for the responses. As i was finishing the timming i did not notice the slight bend in the tool. I could still wiggle it in the cam slots fairly well so.. i'll just leave it be. Might recheck it at a later time. It really pulls well now.