ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing question.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Afternoon all,

Just a quick timing question I hope someone can give me a bit of guidance on.
When putting the horseshoe tool in to lock the cams I have to put it in the exhaust cam with one side of the horseshoe twist it around to then get the other side in the inlet cam. After that the horseshoe is pretty well wedged in there, I know with the none gen tool it's advisable to put a feeler gauge in there to space it out and when it's all timed up the horseshoe should slide about freely. I have the genuine Renault tool and there is no space for a feeler gauge and it just wedges in there tight. Is this normal? Don't want to time it up wrong and ruin it after refreshing the bloody thing!

Cheers,
Jack.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Yes, there won’t be space for a feeler gauge but once timed up it should slide in and out relatively easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I must be doing something wrong then as my exhaust cam seems to 'bounce back' a few degrees after finishing up and I can get the tool back in but only with a bit of fettling

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got both pulleys loosened off? Make sure you can move them on the ends of the cams then once the tool is in tighten them both up with out them spinning. It’s tricky and may take 2 or 3 attempts but you should get there.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Have you got both pulleys loosened off? Make sure you can move them on the ends of the cams then once the tool is in tighten them both up with out them spinning. It’s tricky and may take 2 or 3 attempts but you should get there.

Yeah, they were slack, rebuilt the top end so everything started out in bits, as long as that timing tool doesn't need to slide about I'll just give it a few more goes until it's perfect, cheers mate.

BG 182FF
Yeah, they were slack, rebuilt the top end so everything started out in bits, as long as that timing tool doesn't need to slide about I'll just give it a few more goes until it's perfect, cheers mate.
Also worth removing all spark plugs so you are not fighting against it,

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower

Try 20 or 30 attempts !!!!