ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Titanium ph1, Jon's Ownership Diary.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
On to my second R.S. an so my second progress diary.

After having owned my 182 cup for the past four years it seems it is now on its last legs and so has been taken of the road whilst a decision is made on its future.

In the meantime i have taken ownership of bazza_'s Titanium ph1. The car has covered 108k miles so im hoping that isnt a bad thing and that it can keep running for a while longer. It does need some tlc and has a few things that need sorting but im hoping I can resolve them quickly and maybe make a few changes in the process.

One of my Inferno Cup

SDC11566.jpg

And the new ph1

SDC11935_zpsdbf168f8.jpg

SDC11959_zps6e37aafa.jpg

SDC11962_zps4205cf62.jpg

SDC11957_zpsa03a0b28.jpg

SDC11941_zpsd74054c5.jpg

SDC11982_zps7e39e08f.jpg

SDC11995_zps1c11340b.jpg

Its currently fitted with a KTEC Stealth exhaust, Raceland coilovers & Grooved front disks (not sure on brand). First jobs will be to tidy up the bodywork as it has a dent in the passenger door and the front bumper isnt fitted properly, its also missing part of the front grill. I will also be removing the Sub from the boot and it needs a new centre exhaust mount.

Hoping to be able to make a few changes of my own as well as it badly needs the steering wheel refreshing and the F1's need a refurb. May also remove the carbon wrap from the rear spoiler. I Had always wanted to upgrade the cams in my 182 so may look into that option with the ph1.

As always Comments/Advice welcome.

Jon

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Not much of an update but I took the old head unit out of my Inferno and decided to swap the indicator bulbs round with the silvertec bulbs in the 182. I also changed over to the clear side repeaters as I think they suit the car better than the orange ones.

SDC11996_zps15d6f4b3.jpg

SDC11999_zpsf5795f53.jpg

SDC12004_zps11151957.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Couple of pictures of the engine bay.

SDC12006_zps448a8f43.jpg

SDC12010_zpsdea0810f.jpg

Again it needs a bit of a tidy up, also thinking of changing the air filter to something along the lines of the KTEC kit. Would like to think in the long term I could upgrade the cams as well.

List to do

* Fit new centre exhaust hanger
* Fit front grill
* Remove sub/amp & wiring
* Sort dent in passenger door
* Correctly fit front bumper
* Service
* Paint and re fit door pulls
* Replace broken centre air vents
* Replace steering wheel
* Tidy exterior

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's quite a tired looking car but it's certainly got potential.

Get snappy to retrim your wheel, it'll have it looking its best. Also, wheel refurb?

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
I think it is but im hoping I can breathe a bit of life back into it. The F1's will need refurbing to freshen it up a bit along with other bits.

Its a long way from perfect but I hope it does have potential :approve:

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Well my new front grill arrived this morning, massive thanks to Dom for the quick delivery. Once fitted it should tidy up the front end a bit, thought mine was only missing the plastic centre but it looks as though the previous one had been cut in half.

SDC12016_zps96e2fe60.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Managed to get out this morning before the snow started and remove the sub & amp from the boot. Couldnt believe the weight of it but it all came out easy enough, unfortunatley the boot carpet came out with it so I gave the wheel well a quick wash down at the same time.

SDC12022_zps3e98a480.jpg

SDC12024_zps9de7c7ac.jpg

Whilst removing the wiring I found it also has a multi disk changer under the drivers seat so I will probably remove that in the near future too. Also topped up the screen wash after the recent bad weather and checked the oil level. I have the fog lights to be re fitted as well but thinking of maybe just re fitting the surround and making some sort of cold air feed similar to others on here.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
The progress on the ph1 never really got going unfortunately, after running it for a couple of weeks the cars issues seemed to be more work than originally planned. It’s currently off the road and I had planned to cut my losses and break it but recently have been thinking it may be worth a go trying to resolve the issues if it can be done on a budget.

The car has done 108k miles and is in need of the belts changing and does have a small whine from the aux belt I think, also seems to be losing a bit of oil too. Also looks to have had a partial engine rebuild at some point but does feel quite strong imo. The throttle pedal also sticks but does stop if the throttle pedal is pushed up or alternatively if I tap the pedal. It does need work cosmetically but that’s not much of a problem it’s just the mechanical side.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated as I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort to repair.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It really depends how handy with spanners you are mate. All of those issues sound like they could be sorted relativley cheaply.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
That's good to hear, I had originally hoped it would be a cheap little project. If there easy fix's then I think ive got a shot, just didn't want to go throwing money at it to find the problems couldn't be repaired or wouldn't be worth while.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Hopefully over the next few weeks I am looking to put a bit of life back into my ph1. I've drafted up a rather large list of things to fix so far and I imagine its only going to get longer.

To Do

* Fix sticking throttle
* Needs belts doing
* Change / Re-wire rear lights
* Full service
* Fit new centre exhaust mount
* Raise Coilovers
* Needs a new battery
* Fit front grill / refit front bumper
* Remove dent in passenger door
* Remove dent in passenger side rear arch
* Respray Drivers side rear arch
* Refurb alloys
* Replace centre dash air vents
* Refurb headlights
* Fix sticking drivers front caliper
* Replace steering wheel
* Clean inside and out

Its got a long way to go yet to freshen it up.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah I agree, going to start with the mechanical issues. Hoping to get the sticking throttle sorted first and once its mechanically sound I can start and build on it. Just hoping I don't find anymore issues along the way. Its off the road at the moment so gives me something to work on.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah hopefully, if all goes to plan i'll be able to get it back on the road and looking presentable. Kept looking at yours and korky's project threads and thinking about giving it a go.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Had a spare hour yesterday so managed to get the front bumper off, wasn't the best fit but should straighten out okay. Going to start the majority of the work on it next week, probably starting with the sticking throttle. Hoping it just needs a good clean and can be resolved easily.

Its looking pretty sorry for itself at the moment

SDC12066_zpsb8756abc.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Good stuff mate! Even if it does need new parts for the throttle it'll still be a cheap fix, plenty of phase 1 parts available!

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Ah that's good to know Danny, I started removing the air filter & elbow today and cleaned the throttle body up. It all seemed quite forced together so hoping with cleaning and re fitting it may fix the issue, if not then may need to look for a new cable. Just waiting on a new filter to arrive and I can then start fitting it back together again as the current one had seen better days.

IMG_0023_zps9860f554.jpg

IMG_0025_zps350be760.jpg

Will be back at work on it tomorrow so hopefully more to come.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Not much of an update on progress today but I removed the F1's to check the brakes. Gave them a quick clean down whilst they were off and may start refurbing them tomorrow. Just waiting for a few bits to arrive so I can crack on with resolving other issues. I had difficulty getting a jack under the car, not sure how to raise coilovers so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0030_zps0f4bb4f3.jpg

Hope you get this up and going mate be nice to see it in good condition!!
i remember when I bought the rear lights you mentioned you may need a ecu set and things for the other car? You still need the uch set as I have a complete set with a key forsale cheap

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah I agree mate, will be great to see it running well and looking good. Ah yeah, how is the sunflower coming along ? The Inferno sold around a month ago mate, thanks for the offer though. Managed to get it fixed up and decided it was time to reluctantly part with it.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Had some spare time today so managed to get the F1's rubbed down and refurbed ready for re-spraying. Also started working on the dents to both doors, rear arches and a little colour coding.

IMG_0034_zpsd56e26c8.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsa2229773.jpg

Still a lot more work to do.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Got a few bits done today, managed to get the front coilovers raised 1cm for the time being but may need to go a little higher in the future. At the same time I gave the calipers a fresh layer of paint and finished off the F1's. The bonnet, doors and rear arches were also prepped ready for re spraying tomorrow hopefully. A new air filter arrived this morning and im still awaiting on a rear light and centre exhaust mount so hopefully will arrive before the weekend.

IMG_0035_zps0c602761.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsa906302b.jpg

IMG_0037_zps62823068.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Any reason you've not replaced those rear discs? They look like they're created from rust.

Black wheels are a little.... I'm not sure.. think silver would have looked better.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, its getting there. Will have to organise a north east Ph1 meet some time ;)

They are really bad, the fronts aren't much better either. Hadn't expected them to be as bad when I started work on it but its off the road for a while so they will be changed in time. Yeah I thought of staying silver but I quite like them black, although I expect most to share your view.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
For £140 or whatever brembo charge it really is worth replacing the brakes Jon!

As rob says though, blacks a bit 'meh' these days, sparkling silver is where its at!

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah I'll look to have the disks changed Danny, the list of jobs keeps growing.

After having the rust on the arches and dent in the passenger side door repaired the bonnet and both sides of the car were re sprayed today. Also decided to have the bump strips, door handles and boot button surround colour coded at the same time. I also managed to fit the new front grill I bought a while back, found that the area it secured to on both headlights had been broken so had to repair this in the process.

A few bits I had ordered earlier in the week arrived today so I have more to be getting on with.

IMG_0044_zpsf66510be.jpg

IMG_0039_zpsc3beb677.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsa7170617.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsd7600d96.jpg

IMG_0040_zpsae833281.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks. Yeah i'll make sure there done before i'm finished, I've got some Meguiars stuff at home.

Managed to replace the centre exhaust mount this morning as the current one had snapped. Should stop the exhaust hitting the floor every time it goes over a speed bump as it was hanging quite low.

Old Mount

IMG_0045_zps60f7e7f7.jpg

New Mount

IMG_0046_zps63337d46.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Thanks mate, its all starting to come together now. Still a long way off how I want it to be.

Managed to get the front bumper and arch liners re-fitted properly this morning, its not quite a perfect fit but its far better than it was originally. Also started polishing off both sides of the car and just have the bonnet to finish now.

IMG_0051_zps1fe59d36.jpg

IMG_0053_zps8feed219.jpg

IMG_0059_zps1eb68f05.jpg

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
A new air filter and silicone hose arrived to replace the filter already on the car as it had seen better days. Managed to get it all fitted together, cleaning the throttle body in the process. Its a lot more secure than the previous one and looks a lot better too.

IMG_0064_zpse542fddc.jpg

Not much more to report at the moment but hopefully will be soon.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Managed to get a few small bits done over the weekend. Fitted a new Powerflex dogbone mount and also removed the carbon wrap from the rear spoiler.

IMG_0072_zps96a66266.jpg

IMG_0076_zps5e433b8d.jpg

IMG_0081_zps5587c347.jpg

Hoping to have it in for the belts changing shortly along with a few other bits and pieces.