ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TL4 Gearbox 3rd/4th Synchro Upgrade Part Number

Nissan Pulsar
I'm from Aus running a Nissan Pulsar ST-S (MR16DDT w/ TL4 6spd box). I've been running a twin plate clutch and I've recently destroyed a gearbox. 3rd was crunching then failed and 4th failed soon after. I have a replacement gearbox and a WAVETRAC diff to go in as well but I want to do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't happen again. I notice that Renault runs the same box in the 197/200. People have referred me to a part that renault has changed from Brass to steel for the 3rd/ 4th Synchro in these boxes and after reading some posts on some of the Clio forums I wanted to see if there is a general consensus on best mods to do to look at keeping it together for a performance engine (looking for upgrades on actual parts w/ p/n's, I'm ok with doing gearbox work myself). Appreciate any help.

Ref Link:
https://clio197.net/threads/crunching-tl4-now-with-possible-better-synchro-rings.60789/page-3

Thanks,
Adrian

Nissan Pulsar
Is there any chance someone would have a VIN/ year and model type from a Clio with a TL4 gearbox 6 speed manual so I can search some parts up? Not too familiar with the model.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Is there any chance someone would have a VIN/ year and model type from a Clio with a TL4 gearbox 6 speed manual so I can search some parts up? Not too familiar with the model.
Any mk3 RS clio will have a TL4 -
197:
renaultsport_clio_197_2006_279.jpg

200:
ee127d1718c0cfda238b13645571cf0d.jpg

the 3rd and 4th gear syncro can be found here:
Renault Clio 197 200 3rd 4th Gearbox Synchro 8200641529 (renaultpartsdirect.co.uk)

you should find parts diagrams here:
Renault | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq

Select Clio > Clio III > engine code F4R and gearbox code will be TL4

Nissan Pulsar
Anyone chasing this in future this site lists exact part numbers and lays it out nicely. https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/individual-tl4-gearbox-parts

Looking at older part schematics though the parts seem to be completely interchangeable from what I can see.

*529 looks like the stainless part (replacement for the brass parts) at my best guess - yet to order

8200368022 - 5th/ 6th Synchro?

8200641529 - 3rd/4th Synchro?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
3rd/4th synchro are the same as the synchros for 5th and 6th. But, as they’re made of brass they will fail if you use them on 3rd/4th.

You have to use the ones specifically for 3rd/4th on those gears.