ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To much oil? Does it matter?

K20 EG Hatch
I changed the oil in my 182 yesterday (silkolene Pro S 5W 40) and i think i over filled it. After checking tonight, the engine was still warm, it is about 5mm over the max mark on the dipstick.

Does this matter or do i need to drain some out?

Thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
5mm's fcuk all mate , wouldn't worry about it tbh ,its not excessive .

182 Full Fat
Check it in the morning from cold. im sure it will be just below the maximum mark. I only personally press the reset button on the dash to check the level on my oil. Lazy i know

K20 EG Hatch
FredYozzasport said:
it'll blow it out the breather, but FFS, we're only down the road!

does that mean if it f***s up or i should have come to you guys to do it for me? :s

MY10 R35 GTR
u can never have too much lube!!!!!!

it'll burn it off or fire through the breather, car mite smell i bit burnt oil like till the extras burnt away.

FRST and 106 GTi
Actually it depends from engine to engine. Some engines can't go above the "Max mark" on the dipstick and others are ok with it. I've seen ppl going 1ltr above the "Max mark" just before a trackday to avoid surge.

E91 M Sport
When I loitered around on the Zroadster forum, there was a lot of talk about the BMW 3.2 engine failing very easily when over-filled. Something to do with the oil being 'frothed' and causing problems. People were chatting about sueing BMW garages because of it. Perhaps there oil levels were way over though....

I'd drain some off if you know its too high (when cold).

FRST and 106 GTi
miketheman2k said:
When I loitered around on the Zroadster forum, there was a lot of talk about the BMW 3.2 engine failing very easily when over-filled. Something to do with the oil being 'frothed' and causing problems. People were chatting about sueing BMW garages because of it. Perhaps there oil levels were way over though....

I'd drain some off if you know its too high (when cold).

Or maybee the std dipstick was just too small!

BMW M135i
I accidentally overfilled mine to the same level, had about an extra 500ml in it.
Drove round with it for a week before I realised what i'd done and it never seemed to do it any harm, just sucked the extra out the dipstick hole with a 500ml syringe and a bit of tubing.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
bmh.01 said:
I accidentally overfilled mine to the same level, had about an extra 500ml in it.
Drove round with it for a week before I realised what i'd done and it never seemed to do it any harm, just sucked the extra out the dipstick hole with a 500ml syringe and a bit of tubing.

gud idea