ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To sell my 172 or not to sell my 172

Suzuki SV650

Am in a bit of a situation and would like a bit of friendly advice!

I currently own a 51 plate Flame Red 172, and on the 30th of September I am going away travelling for a whole year, so obviously I will not use the car or need it. Now I need to have a bit of a think with what I can do with her obviously.

The car is modded (or differs from standard) as such; FK Coilovers, ITG Panel Filter & 182 wheels, Cup splitter, Janspeed silenced de-cat pipe, Viper Bellmouth kit cut into the lower front grille. Soon (HOPEFULLY!) to have an ITG Maxogen kit, and Ive sprayed the engine cover red.

I do not have a garage or anywhere personally where I can keep the car, she resides on the street at the moment. My insurance was renewed in March, although I am likely to change my insurance from Tesco to Greenlight as it will save me around £500 a year. My brother is only 17 and hasnt even started driving lessons yet, although when he turns 18 next March and gets his hands on some money he has saved up he would be able to afford insurance on a 172, (although it would be sky high and probably not be a sensible thing for him to do!) My Mum cannot drive manual cars due to a disability and I do not have any other family that would be willing to look after my car for me.

The car is taxed until May 2006, and the MOT expires in November sometime. She has around 28,500 miles on the clock, two previous lady owners and full Renault service history, receipts etc etc... She cost me £8000 last November and has had around £1200 of work carried out on her since she developed an oil leak (and various Renault faults).

Do I;

A) Keep the car as she is, let someone borrow or look after it for a year, having it insured under their name and losing a bit of money on the tax that will have to be kept on it, also bearing the brunt of the depreciation when I get back, but still having a lovely car when I get back!

B) Restore the car to standard and sell her, thus taking away the loss of depreciation I will suffer whilst away from the UK, and buy another car when I get back from my travels. Also doing this will free up cash from the mods which essentially are easy to take off & replace with of course the original parts which I still have.

C) Dont think this is really a sensible option, but selling the car modded as she is.

D) Store her off road, insure her for off road use only, save money on the tax, and just have her serviced or inspected now and again to ensure the brakes dont seize/battery goes flat etc.

or E), (which I have a scary feeling will be the easiest reply to agree with), spend some of my graduate loan and leave my car with Nick Hill/GDI/whoever for a year and let them tune the b****cks off of her.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation, Id appreciate to know what you did and if in your eyes, proved to be a sensible solution. I think at the moment option B looks like the best thing to do, but Id find it hard to sell and part with such a lovely car!

Cheers, and I hope people are enjoying the sun we have around today, well, certainly in Leicester anyway! :cool:

Steve.

E sound like a goor idea,
either that or return it to standard & sell it, keeping the bits to put on another 172 when i returned.

Personally Id let a friend you trust, who wont do many miles in her, with a garage insure her for a year and drive it around and service it.

Then you dont take the hit for the servicing or insurance - you have a car to come back to when you return, and you know its been well looked after and safe.

Unfortunately it will depreciate - but it will anyway.

This is what Id do.

Ex Ph-Quick

Steve dam shame this.

If you need the money from the car to travel then you have to sell it but if you can manage without give it to and uncle or someone in your family to look after it.

Would you really trust a mate to not "Give it an airing" at least once?

You coming to RTOC?

Elliot

Clio V6 255

D - there are plenty of places that do storage, id check the local yellow pages and get some prices.

Why spend the hassle of undoing what you wanted to do to the car, sell at a loss, or risk the person who borrowed it wrapping it round a tree? plus when you go travelling you dont want to be spending any sort of loan money out!

Suzuki SV650

Cheers for the replies guys and girls, I think what I *might* do is sell her as standard, I can just about restore her to standard without spending too much, Ill need a garage to do the de-cat, everything else I can do myself or with a mate.

Dont need the money for travelling, got some saved up, plus Im going to abuse a graduate loan anyway ;), Elliot like I said mate, I really do not have any family that could look after her or use her whilst Im away.

Could always stash the money from the sale of the car away somewhere, along with a bit of the graduate loan, keep the ITG Maxogen, and buy a liquid yellow 182, as of course by that time, the new RS Clio will be out and prices will be nice and comfy for me to afford one...or will they!?

Scooby STi, FiestaST

stevie - your F option, leave it with me on my driveway out to the way.... Ive already got your email address and i can send you some nice pictures each week.

go on you know you want to......

Renault Clio 1.9 Diesel

Hey baby its the missus!

You couldve put it on my driveway, but the chavs on my estate will enjoy it too much and to be honest, will deffo try and take her away without telling me!! Thieving B***ards!!

But other than that, i think option F is the best, as she is too nice and a great drive to sell so soon after buying, youll regret in the end, me thinks anyway!! :)

Suzuki SV650

Quote: Originally posted by becki on 08 June 2005

But other than that, i think option F is the best, as she is too nice and a great drive to sell so soon after buying, youll regret in the end, me thinks anyway!! :)

Where in my list can u see option F?!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

if you sell it youll get crap money, trying to shift mine at the mo and there worth bobbins!! Mines a 53 reg an 9K miles an im strugglin to get 7500!!!!