ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To SRP or not to SRP

Clio Authentique 1.2
Hello all,
Quick question...I polished my Clio around 4 weeks ago using Megs Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish, followed up with a wax. Car is now immaculate, even after all the rain it still beads great and still sparkling. Anyway after reading so many rave reviews on here re. SRP and EGP, I'll be buying some off the good stuff. So question here is, would it be wise to apply the SRP so soon after having applied the Megs Polish? I know SRP isnt that abrasive, but don't want to be stripping away at the paint. Oh and then I'll be applying EGP x 2 and then waxing over...correct?
Many thanks in advance,

K

Bumder With A Buffer
Nowt wrong with using SRP...IMO its has more Glaze properties in it (IE fillers) rather then lots of cutting.

You wont be stripping away at the paint with SRP trust me! Be carefull with applying wax over EGP though..I "think" EGP is fairly oily and "some" waxes dont like to be apllied over the top of it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The srp will strip everything back product wise, it's a good hand polish but imo there are better products out there.
It'll stain textured trims, it's dusty and dry. Imo it's not actually an easy product to work with.

I'm also not an egp fan as again there are better products out there. Depends how far you want to go.

Is it all by hand? I'd be tempted to srp the whole car if that's really what you want to do then get a good 2 layers off wax over the top. Aslong as the wax is decent the finish will last.

Make sure you're hand washing with something that's decent and won't strip/damage the durability of the wax.

My personal favourite is dod juice born to be mild as it's a great cleaner but will never harm the layer of wax.

What colour is the car?

Clio Authentique 1.2
Gally, the car is Gris Boreal 02 plate, all I am looking for is a glassy super shine, I was under the impression EGP can do this...? I'll get some pics up over the weekend of before and after. I'll be doing it all by hand, don't trust myself with a polisher to be honest. So according to yourself what is a "good" alternative to the SRP or even EGP, bear in mind, at this moment in time I only have access to Halfrauds, I could order other products over the Internet, but delivery of said products would delay the car work, also after this weekend I am pretty busy thereafter, plus the weather is looking at taking a turn for the worse. So off teh shelf products are all I can go for at the moment.

As for yourself Richy, I love the effect a good wax leaves on my car, plus the beading (which we all love!), so a wax for me is a given, dont really like to compromise on that! Then again I also want to try EGP, after all that's been said about it! Aghhh dilemmas in car detailing aye!

By the way, cheers lads.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Simple search would of answered this question, it's been asked twice this wk already!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If it's halfords then go with srp by hand twice if you have the time make sure you don't miss any parts then get some wax on there.

Egp is like a sealent and will only add some protection not enhance the finish of the car, that's what the srp is for. It's a shame you can't wait on products over the net.

What wax do you have?

Ali i'm going to open ms word and make a generic response then copy/paste!

SRP is a good product. Purely because someone can walk into Halfrauds, buy a bottle and get their car looking superb (relatively). This demographic group do not care about micro marring, RDS, fallout, claying etc etc. It will fill the swirls in their paint work and they might protect it afterwards, but I doubt it. If they do, EGP is there and HD WAX is available.

The fact that you are on a Clio forum would suggest you care/know more about your car than your average Joe. Or certainly want to learn.

Kevings has mentioned that there are better products out there - this is very true. Both hand and machine products. But these take time and are the start of a very slippery slope in to debt (time and money!). It really depends on how you want to handle it. It is a very grey area and therefore no definitive middle ground! You will always want to do more, like claying, QDing, permanent trim restoring etc etc etc.

Before you know it, you are seriously considering spending £70 on having all the windows on your 8 year old Panzer replaced as they are slightly scratched from 8 years of bad wash technic........... :boring:

Clio Authentique 1.2
Apologies Ali, I know there have been a few SRP/EGP threads as of late, but none that answered my question specifically, well none that I could find! Thank for your advice Gally. And yeah please do let me know what the outcome Emma is , much obliged.

Bumder With A Buffer
Pedo%20bear.png

Last edited:
  Clio Authentique 1.2
SRP is a good product. Purely because someone can walk into Halfrauds, buy a bottle and get their car looking superb (relatively). This demographic group do not care about micro marring, RDS, fallout, claying etc etc. It will fill the swirls in their paint work and they might protect it afterwards, but I doubt it. If they do, EGP is there and HD WAX is available.

The fact that you are on a Clio forum would suggest you care/know more about your car than your average Joe. Or certainly want to learn.

Kevings has mentioned that there are better products out there - this is very true. Both hand and machine products. But these take time and are the start of a very slippery slope in to debt (time and money!). It really depends on how you want to handle it. It is a very grey area and therefore no definitive middle ground! You will always want to do more, like claying, QDing, permanent trim restoring etc etc etc.

Before you know it, you are seriously considering spending £70 on having all the windows on your 8 year old Panzer replaced as they are slightly scratched from 8 years of bad wash technic........... :boring:

Hehe very true JD. To be honest I have just started out on the detailing road, but as you mentioned, it can be a very slippery slope in the respect that it can be time and money intensive. To sum it up, I am after a look/protection/etc for the amount of effort I am willing to put in,vice versa, somebody who is willing to detail to the max, should in fact expect great(ish) results, I am under no illusion as to what results I will get dependent on my effort. Anywhoo I have clayed the car, around 2 months ago, so to some extent do know what I am doing, so please all excuse my ignorance/naivety when I ask questions all you professionals know.

So to conclude guys...after 2 bucket wash method and dried, apply SRP x 2, EGP x 2 (or once?) and then top up with HD Wax...?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fpmsl!

funny_farm-481x368.jpg

It's an evil hobbie!

Mate, don't get me started. Not mentioned that to anyone in the "real world" yet...

Kashcheema. SRP is a filling polish. There fore "x2" is a waste of time as you will be removing the fillers and adding... the same fillers.

Pressure wash, wash 2BM, dry, clay, wash, dry, polish, seal/wax/both.

Claying, before you ask, will only need to be done 1-2 times a year max. IF you do the above (i.e. seal the paintwork afterwards).

Clio Authentique 1.2
Cool thanks JD, pretty much what I was planning on doing (bar the "x2"!). I've clayed already, so will crack on on Sunday. Thank you guys! And yes it is a damned evil hobby, wife complains how I wash/detail the car every 2 weeks! Some people just dont understand do they! ;)

Remember that you do need to follow up the claying with the list above, so if you have clayed one day, but not sealed the paint, there are likely to be contaminants already, even in such a short period of time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

It's a slippery slope and you'll be sucked in! :eek:

Clio Authentique 1.2
You've just earned 5 "respect points" which entitles you to being able to ask any question you like without me blowing a fuse.

Haha ok, here goes, continuing on the theme of getting sucked in...

"What would happen if a person were sucked into space, iei. a black hole, from a spaceship and he wasn't wearing a pressurized suit?"

:rasp:

Poorboys.

Pmsl at blowing a fuse!

Never gets old.

Where did that one start JD? I forgot.

Lol, I can't remember!

Haha ok, here goes, continuing on the theme of getting sucked in...

"What would happen if a person were sucked into space, iei. a black hole, from a spaceship and he wasn't wearing a pressurized suit?"

:rasp:

I meant a detailing question, but;

He would end up in another dimension, but still in the spaceship. If the time hadn't been altered and the ships life support systems were still operational he would still be alive.

Clio Authentique 1.2
Lol, I can't remember!

I meant a detailing question, but;

He would end up in another dimension, but still in the spaceship. If the time hadn't been altered and the ships life support systems were still operational he would still be alive.

That's correct sir! And onto the reall nitty grity now, not so much a detailing question, but a car exterior one...do I need to make any alterations to my Clio Mk2 Ph2 (arches, suspension, etc) if I want to put 15" alloys/wheels onto it, it is currently on 14". many thanks.

Clio Authentique 1.2
JD, yes they are, currently sitting on cra*py 14" steelies. Also any idea where I can pick up cheap alloys? Would 14" alloys look too sh*t?!

Don't get 14s. For the price, go 15s.

Standard response pal, Ebay, Pistonheads parts, on here in the classifieds etc.

Oh, and pay up. Tenner for all the deals and advice you can get on here in all the forums is well worth it. I still renew and I have a Panzer!

Clio Authentique 1.2
JD I think i may just take up the membership with the forum on the wkend. Many thanks for your advice, I appreciate it, 15s it is:)

Clio Authentique 1.2
Thanks Emma. As promised I said I would post before and after pics of my SRP/EGP application over the weekend, but as its now Monday and I haven't so apologies, I had a lot of personal issues at home, dad fell ill, so a lot of driving to the hospital.

I did however get the chance to give the car a little jet wash last night at our local Morrisons. Opted for the 10mins program, rinsed it down, applied hot foam shampoo with the brush, let it settle for a few minutes, rinsed down again and finally applied a new product they have there called "wax after rinse". A lot like the standard rinse but apparently contains wax. Dried the car down. Parked up outside my house, heavy rainfall overnight and it has beaded beautifully (even the windows and lights :S ). I had rpeviously waxed it around 3 weeks ago, so I'm guessing the beading was purely down to the Morrisions "wax after rinse". So have you all used this stuff? What are your views on it? I was impressed may I add.

The brush will have imparted hundreds of tiny scratches, known as marring or swirls. You will notice these if/when we have sunshine. :(

Clio Authentique 1.2
Wow thanks JD :dapprove: Fortunately I have used it in the past, and no such scratches. Not to worry hopefully next week I will SRP and EGP it.

It will buddy, you just might not have noticed them. Scratches is a loose term. These are tiny marks that look like spiders webs across the paint work.