ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomTom Go Antenna

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172

Looking at buying a tomtom sat nav kit and I was wondering if anyone knew whether I would need an antenna for it because I have heard people say that you need one?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

If you have a new mk2 Clio chances are you will have the heat reflective screen.

In this case, YES you will need one.

Any car with a heat reflective screen will effect the in-built GPS antenna causing lack of reception.

The antennas are about £50 and need to be routed to the back window ledge. (easily done)

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172

when i bought my clio it had tinted windows and on the windscreen it has a square box at the bottom which is clear, just wondering if that would be for the tomtom antenna or a speed camera detector?

Clio V6 255

Ive got a tomtom in my clio and although it worked without the external aerial reception was very poor and kept dropping the satelites.

I bought the external aerial and stuck it to the inside of the clear section on the windscreen, looks fine and have a full selection a satelites for 95% of the time.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172

wheres the cheapest place to buy the aerial from and i heard that you dont need an aerial if you buy the tomtom classic but you do if you buy the tomtom go 300, is this true?

If you have a reflective screen you will require an aerial, otherwise you will keep dropping the signal.

Could not get a consistent signal through the bottom square so bought a GPS aerial. No problem from then on.

[Edited by John V6 on 7/20/2005 7:55:07 PM]

artic blue 182

my navman was fine in my 1.4 dynamique(53 plate)got a signal pretty much all the time

needed 1 when i traded it in for the 182 tho

Clio V6 255

It doesnt make any difference if its the classic or 300, 500 etc, they all need the external aerial to perform better.

Quote: Originally posted by richard691 on 23 July 2005
bump

LOL

Yes you need one now go and get one!!!

Quote: Originally posted by W3JLT on 23 July 2005
so what is the square box at the bottom of the heat reflective screen for then?

Most toll roads in europe use scanners that can read coded information from cards etc to allow you through with ease - this is why there is a gap in the screen.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

actually, ive not had any problems using the cutout on the windscreen for my gps reciever. Obviously nothing inside the car is going to be as good as outside the car in terms of the amount of sky (potential satellites) it can see, but its as effective as having a tomtom go, without the solar windscreen.