ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tomtom not charging off lighter socket

GW RS200
Does anyone know if clio's (172 Ph2) have weird shaped lighter sockets? The tomtom charger I bought off ebay doesn't work off it, but it does work in other cars. I have tested the lighter and it works, so it's not an electrical problem. The contacts *look* like they are connecting properly. Confusing! Anyone know what is going on?

ibiza cupra
give it a bit of a wiggle mate. mine does the same so i give it a wiggle till the green light comes on then its fine.

GW RS200
Thanks! I gave it quite a whack around, and nothing. Will have another try now though if you say it works. Cheers for the advice...

1998 BMW e46 323i
clean the bottom connection in the lighter, where all the crap settles. and check your fuses

Last edited:
  Iceberg 172
Fuse not a problem if the lighter works. As suggested, clean the crap out and wiggle around for the best contact.

Also of course, have you tried the TT charger in another car? Could be dead.

UR R26
i bought a garmin a while back, and the charger was faulty. i know there different brands, but might be the charger.

Tried it in a different car??

BMW M135I
i get same problem with my bros and my mums tomtom, doesnt work in my car in the lighter but works in their golf and corsa arctic

GW RS200
Damn, I guess I might have to look for another type. I did notice that the middle pin contact coming off the charger goes directly down in to lighter socket where it is mounted with a small screw, and I have a feeling it may be touching that and not getting a connection. As said, yep the lighter works when it pushes in the cigarette lighter itself, so no fuse, and yeah it works on other cars, too. Will report back if I fix this...

172 Cup
I had this problem when I first bought the car!

I cleaned it out firstly as it was covered in black stuff then tom tom edventually worked once I had a wiggle and pulled it towards the rear seats.

Good luck!

Golf GTD Mk7
i find the lighter charger is a bit dodge too. I twist it till the green light come on. If you're cigarette lighter works that would be my guess. Just perserver with it. Mine is the same in various cars.

GW RS200
Finally solved this after loads of faffing around. I was already pushing it hard enough to bend the plastic surround, but a bit of extra force and it suddenly clicked into place and the light came on! It turns out the mechanism is just sprung extremely hard. Problem solved! The moral being, if something doesn't fit, just push it harder. Thanks to everyone who came up with suggestions...