ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tonight, I went 3 wheeling..

GW RS200
Had the wheel off last month and was tightened up fully and checked twice, still decided to come off tonight on a busy road at dusk. Luckily I had slowed right down as the steering went unbelievably light, must have scrapped a good few yards. Few bobs worth of damage any who.

image_zps74e0b085.jpg

image_zps4c609099.jpg

image_zps38e0e46c.jpg

Didn't get many half decent snaps as I was properly shook up. Will get some tomorrow.

GW RS200
Woah ! Glad your okay mate, wasn't expecting that when I read the title lol like you said could have been ALOT worse your lucky mate

Cheers bud, was really a blanked out moment! Steering literally went and stayed on the 3 wheels as the 4th rolled off, car dropped at the last few metres, more than enough scrapped though :( I was so lucky it never hit the oncoming car!

Cheers bud, was really a blanked out moment! Steering literally went and stayed on the 3 wheels as the 4th rolled off, car dropped at the last few metres, more than enough scrapped though :( I was so lucky it never hit the oncoming car!

Yeah mate ! Sounds like the hub is knackered as the threads keep coming loose ! Unlucky but as you say lucky to be okay , wings and possible bumper but all salvageable :) as long as your okay that's all that matters

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey! I'm checking my bolts tomorrow now lol. They came loose a while back and I tightened them up and did check them a few times but its been a few months now and I always thought there would be more of a warning like lots of knocking before the wheel flew off.

Blimey! I'm checking my bolts tomorrow now lol. They came loose a while back and I tightened them up and did check them a few times but its been a few months now and I always thought there would be more of a warning like lots of knocking before the wheel flew off.

Yeah one of my wheel bolts on my front left wheel worked loose on my Clio, you feel it in the steering wheel and hear it knocking away. I pulled over immediately and torqued them all up properly and that was the end of that aha. I did get quite paranoid after that and checked them every time I had planned a trip where I would be going 60+mph f**k having a wheel fall off at those speeds.

OP that looks pretty bad mate! But very lucky not to hit anything oncoming

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
See now I think that 200T looks okay there, ignoring the fact a wheel is missing lol!

Have to agree too Dan, some of the speeds I've hit in my clio would be certain death if a wheel were to fall off so I really should check them again considering they did come loose once before.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats mental!

I was watching a copper programme last night and the guy was saying a wheel came off a car on a motorway and hit a car coming the other way on the other side of the road and killed the lady driving.

Hope you get it sorted easy enough!

GW RS200
It really was the weirdest moment of my life. Was like I was in some sort of film is the best way to describe it haha?! I had knocking 2 minutes before if that, and no where too pull over (pictured below). So double check your bolts! Ill get a picture of car in daylight this morning :(

image_zps4c1cce99.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377501351.023282.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377501351.023282.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 134

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
f**k that, if i thought my wheel was falling off i'd stop in the middle lane of the motorway if i had to!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
It happens a more than you'd think I know people who have talked clio ones up the same and they came loose on a track day lucky they were near the pits !

I don't know why but even clicked out they start to work loose !

​im aware of that but he wasn't on a track day.

S4 Avant
I've had bolts come loose on me twice, but neither time has the wheel fallen off.

You know when you get the massive vibration and knocking, did you not think to stop?

GW RS200
I've had bolts come loose on me twice, but neither time has the wheel fallen off.

You know when you get the massive vibration and knocking, did you not think to stop?

It happened to quick, I know it sounds stupid not to have stopped but it was one of those things, was gonna pull over literally 1/4 mile down the road so i wouldnt have been in the road as it was narrow, but that was a stupid mistake.

S4 Avant
I had bolts come loose on the A38 at 70mph. Better to have stopped immediately than close a road because your wheel's overtaking you ;)

GW RS200
Well there's two things were the wheels nuts torqued correctly ? If they were and the wheel was tight I find anything other than the hub being at fault hard to believe , tyre pressure would have nothing to do with It mate

Stripped it fully down today, gonna need a new hub as obviously it's all crossed now and one bolt sheared off. Just gonna have to get some mobile mechanic in too take a look at it as it's well out of my league from here. The ball joint bolt won't even move so unable to drop it. :(

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
had a problem with my wheel bolts keep coming loose and come off once. the cause of mine was the wheel bolts had stretched/worn. replaced with a new set been fine since.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
GAZ had a problem with loose wheel nuts too. Dont know if he ever found the cause though.

I took a ph 1 on a test drive a few months ago and the wheel nuts came lose and fucked the hub, i was planning on driving it 400 miles home if i bought it so lucky it happened on the test drive!!

GW RS200
GAZ had a problem with loose wheel nuts too. Dont know if he ever found the cause though.

I took a ph 1 on a test drive a few months ago and the wheel nuts came lose and fucked the hub, i was planning on driving it 400 miles home if i bought it so lucky it happened on the test drive!!

Did the wheel actually come off? It's such a b*****d. :(

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
No but it was held on by 1 loose wheel nut. The other 3 had sheared off and the threads in the hub were knackered!

Mad thing is, the guy selling it was driving it before i got a shot and he was doing over 110mph :eek:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So did you forget to torque them?

I can't quite fathom, if you had the slightest idea what was causing the noise, why you wouldn't stop immediately.

Once they are lose enough to cause noise, you don't have long before they're off.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Had to tighten mine twice on track this weekend. I just checked them after every session.

Perhaps a not setting loctite/jointing compound would be a good idea!