ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too much oil?

Checked my dip-stick earlier and it seems to read over the top indent by about 5mm. Is this a problem? The manual seems to say it might be but I'm not sure. I'm thinking the previous owner may have overfilled it slightly.

Then again the car had spent the night parked on a slight slope (I moved the car and checked it on the flat) which may be giving a false reading.

My dealer overfilled my sump by about 7mm, I didn't check it for a couple of weeks but now my car seems slower than it was.

I had the catalytic converters removed thinking that the overfill may have gummed them up but it's no different.

I would drain off the excess as soon as you can.

edde said:
5mm isn't huge but if your chnanging the oil relitivly frequently I wouldn't bother about it.

I was'nt planning to change the oil until the next service (last done on 33k, now on 37k, so thats another 8k away; right?) Is that too infrequent?

Trouble is I don't actually know how to change the oil :eek:

Baldylocks said:
I was'nt planning to change the oil until the next service (last done on 33k, now on 37k, so thats another 8k away; right?) Is that too infrequent?

Trouble is I don't actually know how to change the oil :eek:
As said chnage it ever 6k IMO.

It not difficult to chnage or garages will do it for a few quid. Only takes 20 minutes and thats if you take yo time like me and it does wonders for the engine.

Baldylocks said:
Care to give me a few pointers? I know sweet FA about working on engines
I think theres a guide in the members area of the forum this link might work
http://www.cliosport.net/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=42

I think one of them is a guide to chnaging the oil or if you don't want to get your hands dirsty £5 or so for a garage to do it then £1 for a new sump washer (always chnage them or they leak) and say £20 for oil.

Already had a look in the guide section; don't think there is one.

Thanks for your help anyway edde!:approve:

Think I'll get it sorted at a garage. I have zero tools and my drives so on the piss its dodgy jacking up the car. (That'll be my excuse anyway)

Looking for a ph-quick...
So is there actually any consequences from over filling? As i have over filled mine way to much! Its about an inch above the maximum. This gonna cause problems?

Amir

AmirClio said:
So is there actually any consequences from over filling? As i have over filled mine way to much! Its about an inch above the maximum. This gonna cause problems?
Nope unless its a fair bit over. The engine will burn iany excess just have to make sure it doesn't blokc the breather or get all over the throttle body.