ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top 10 Sports Cars For Less Than An M3

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I'm currently working on my writing skills to build up my portfolio to hopefully one day work as an Automotive Journalist.

One of the websites I'm currently writing for, has requested that I write a piece that lists the Top 10 Sports cars available for less than an M3 in the UK. An M3 is available from about £54,720 (according to the BMW site).

Since you guys are car enthusiasts, I thought it'd be wise to put it to you to give me a headstart in my research, as well as generate some opinions of potential cars.

So I'm wondering, what sports cars would you choose as a cheaper alternative to an M3?

Myself, I was thinking along the lines of the Porsche Cayman S, annoyingly things like Jag XKRs and Merc CL63 AMGs are actually more expensive than the M3, so can't join this list.

The definition of sports car in this is quite vague, but generally something performance focused or at least partly focussed would be fine. And preferably something close to the M3 in speed as well as quality (so I guess that rules out Mazda MX5s and Totoya GT85s). Feel free to tell me differently though!

Any input is much appreciated!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
New, although I was thinking about throwing in a wildcard and suggesting a 3-5 year old example.

That's actually something I plan to do in the coming days (waiting for a pay cheque!). I've been in contact with 'the main man' Andrew Noakes and met him on a Cov Uni open day, and I've written a piece for Breakthrough Blogger Keith WR Jones. So definitely will be joining to get my foot in the door and further help

Lotus Exige. Vauxhall VX220.

More of a light weight track focused car though but then where do you draw the line.

Audi TT-RS, not entirely sure on the price but must be similar.

Nissan 370z..

Then the hardcore variants like, Caterham and Atom.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Yeah I'm finding it tough to draw the line on how extreme we can go, but I was working with something that matches the M3 for performance, and is still usable daily. Something that is fairly luxury would be perfect, so the suggested Audis and 370Z are good options! The Lotus is very desirable so may fit in nicely as a more focused option.

And thanks for that, I'll get registered on there. I'm hoping to study MA Automotive Journalism at Cov later this year, so using the next few months to really get myself out there in the writing world, even if it means working for nothing! The more tools I have, the better

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
And thanks for that, I'll get registered on there. I'm hoping to study MA Automotive Journalism at Cov later this year, so using the next few months to really get myself out there in the writing world, even if it means working for nothing! The more tools I have, the better
TBH It's more about who you know from my experience with it. Might be worth sending Dan Trent a PM on PH and see if he can give you some advice too.

​Good luck with the article, should be a good read.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Cheers I'll get onto him - I certainly agree about it being who you know even from my short experience!

I would be happy to write something for CS, anything related to my car and I'm all over it! I'll have a look over the article section, I hadn't even thought about it to be honest

Any other ideas for cars that people would buy? Maybe it's late in the afternoon, but I'm struggling to find 10 examples (it seems the M3 is a bargain for what it is compared with similar competition).

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Audi S5
Boxster S
Cayman R
370z
SLK 55 AMG is £55k, so only £300 off.
Morgan Plus 4
Caterham 7 Superlight R 400 SV
Audi TTRS
Audi RS3
Chevy Camaro
Corvette C6
Exige S
Evora

These aren't what I'd call Top 10, they are just ones cheaper. I've been using this, so feel free to peruse away;

http://www.carpages.co.uk/car-prices/

Last edited:

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Boxster S
Boxster S
Cayman S
370z
SLK 55 AMG is £55k, so only £300 off.
Morgan Plus 4
Caterham 7 Superlight R 400 SV
Audi TTS
Audi RS3
Chevy Camaro

Give me a minute, and i'll put some more up.

Thanks :) the SLK was something I was just reading up on. I think I will have to throw in a couple of wildcards with some more extreme options, looks like the luxury sports cars are limited to a short few!

All used as you get more for your money:-

Audi R8
BMW M5
Lamborghini Gallardo(Just)
Nissan GTR
Porsche 911 Turbo/GT3 RS
Aston Martin Vantage/DB9

Used 2012 BMW M3 with low miles and pocket the extra few K.

Admittedly some of them would be outside the 5year used period.

My choice would be Nissan GTR or BMW M1 vs the M3 New argument.

Last edited:

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Thanks guys, I now have a good list going! Think I'll mention the Top 10 new and then a couple of wildcards including used cars :)

Fabia VRS & Yeti
Including used cars will massively complicate things! Used 996 GT3's, 360's etc.

New cars wise

Porsche Cayman s
Porsche Boxster S
Lotus Exige S
Lotus Evora
Alfa 4C (48k iirc when launched)
MX5
GT86/BRZ
Jaguar F type (only a bit more)

I'd include the MX5's and GT86's etc, still definitely proper sports cars in my book?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive worked as a motoring journalist for modified car mags on and off for best part of 10 years now and it can be brilliant fun but its increasingly hard to find work even with experience, so building a good portfolio is certainly a good first step.

Hope it goes well :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Is an m3 even a sports car? I'd say it was a performance coupe. Dunno if evo magazine still rates cars in the back pages and an m3 isn't in the sports car section. So I'd say lotus Elise etc are proper sports cars.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure on spec price of the new Boxster and of course of polar opposites to the M3 but people are struggling to justify Cayman or 991 because the new Boxster is that good.