ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Gear Tonight 10pm

"

Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long).
When: Sunday 13th June on BBC 2

Motoring magazine featuring news on the very latest cars, presented by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. Jeremy reviews the Nissan Cube and Renault Clio 182, James tries out a modern take on a timeless classic - the Jaguar XJS, while Richard Hammond road tests the Cadillac CTS and investigates alternative ways of fuelling your car. Terry Wogan is this weeks Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.
(Widescreen, Subtitles)
"

Quote: Originally posted by ukravo on 12 June 2004

1m33 apparently

beat the v6 :D
errrr the V6 was only 3 seconds behind that time and in the pouring rain (182 in the dry), in the dry it would be at least 5 -6 seconds quicker I reckon... 1m30 (or less) :)

Simon.

[Edited by shmall on 12 June 2004 at 4:27pm]

[Edited by shmall on 12 June 2004 at 4:29pm]

they say take off 3 to 5 secs for the wet dont they.

still rekon a 182 would ave a go at a V6 round a track

they say take off 3 to 5 secs for the wet dont they.

still rekon a 182 would ave a go at a V6 round a track

I doubt the 182 would keep up with the V6 on a dry track.

the Mid engine RWD setup is best for handling in dry on track (just like F1):) in my humble opinion... :)

looking forward to seeing the test on Top gear though :)

even if you take of the 5 seconds as you state that would mean the V6 would be at least 2 seconds in front, 2 seconds at 70mph = 205 feet infront every lap :)

Simon.

[Edited by shmall on 12 June 2004 at 5:03pm]

[Edited by shmall on 12 June 2004 at 5:05pm]

[Edited by shmall on 12 June 2004 at 5:08pm]

C4 Grand Picasso

Ive been waiting for this for ages, I havent seen any TV reviews of the new Clio since owning one (besides Top Gear V6).

[Edited by Levo on 12 June 2004 at 5:09pm]

I second ukravo: you lucky f**ker shmall

is it on tonight at 10pm?? or Sunday??

never mind, will check on TV pages..lol

will be fun it see what they say about it.

Simon.

C4 Grand Picasso

Sunday at 10pm mate - I think Ill set the video timer to make sure I dont miss it (I will probably be drunk after the match, and the TV will be blurry by then).

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Evo did a group thrash of all current clios(issue 50)and the cup beat the v6 by 2.1 secs a lap.

This was the mk 1 v6 and seen as the mk2 v6 has been improved and the power increased then i think it would be a much closer race,although i wouldnt like to bet on the outcome of either car.

The cup posted 1.26.3(dry track)

The v6 posted 1.28.45(dry track)

As a comparison the new shape m3 posted the exact same time as the cup in the dry.Just shows you how quick the clios can be on a tight twisty surface....

Regards,ian

The wet/dry thing makes a mockery of the top gear times - to assume that all cars will loose the same time in the wet compared to the dry is so wrong.

The wet/dry thing makes a mockery of the top gear times

Its a tv show that makes a mockery of itself by having some midget welded to Clarksons dick and an audience that has to pretend that the "off the cuff" commnets are funny. The guy is a knob whether he likes the car or not.

Oink

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Top gear is the best motorshow on tv.Half of his comments are made in jest so as not to bore people to tears about cars,the rest of us who like cars see where hes coming from.Its just your opinion whether you like him or not but i dont see any other show touching it for fast cars and a bit of totty like denise van outen etc,etc.

Its not meant to be scientific,just good sunday night veiwing

ian:)

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 12 June 2004

Evo did a group thrash of all current clios(issue 50)and the cup beat the v6 by 2.1 secs a lap.

This was the mk 1 v6 and seen as the mk2 v6 has been improved and the power increased then i think it would be a much closer race,although i wouldnt like to bet on the outcome of either car.

The cup posted 1.26.3(dry track)

The v6 posted 1.28.45(dry track)

As a comparison the new shape m3 posted the exact same time as the cup in the dry.Just shows you how quick the clios can be on a tight twisty surface....

Regards,ian
Love to the same comparison on a fast track such as old Hockienhim or old spa. think the V6 would be a good few seconds ahead after each lap :)

Simon.

I would still rather have my V6 than a very normal looking 182 :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I too would love to see it on a fast track,but still dont think it would be light years ahead.To the same point i would love to see the cars on a very twisty section of track.The very normal looking 182 (as you put it) beat the evo 260 in a slalom test in this months evo,so how poor would your car look against that type of test??

There are many variables for compairing speed but i dont think you can take away the 13-14k price difference when comparing cups/182s and v6s on a track

The cup/182 is more than capable of upseting much bigger and faster cars on a track than a v6.As you will see tonight on top gear..MMUUUHHHHAAAAAAA

ian

[Edited by ian 172 on 13 June 2004 at 2:50pm]

Renault Laguna

here in America we love Top Gear, at least Jeremy talks about the good cars and the bad cars and I think hes a funny guy, as far as 5th Gear goes I like Vicki :devilish: and thats all, Tiff is an excellent driver but hes boring as a host...

Top Gear > 5th Gear > any other motoring show, including Auto Motor und Sport from DW

For £15,000 the 182 is a fantastic package, as with the 172 and Cup before, okay it may not be built brilliantly and the plastics arent up BMW & Audi standards, BUT thats because all the money went on the engine, suspension and steering. Im more than happy to put up with the rattles when my car makes me smile as much as it does.....especially when it can catch-out people with more exotic and expensive machinery.

Looking forward to seeing it on Top Gear and will certainly be recording as well.

One aside.......bought Evo yesterday, 2004 Fast Club is an interesting read, Clio gets a good review...I was also surprised to learn that the tests had been conducted 2 up and with a full tank of fuel.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Levo on 13 June 2004

1m33 apparently

beat the v6 :D
Is this serious, cos thats Noble M12/Mercedes SL55 AMG speed.
Very serious....As i also said evo posted the same time for the cup and M3 round bedford auto last year

ian

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Ever flicked a coin then said best of 3 only to still be behind ? Then after best of 3 say best of 5 because you are still behind ? So on and so on until you win then claim to be the winner ?

Thats what some of the comments are like on this thread....Ah but it was wet.....yeah but that was not on a fast track,love to see it on a fast track.

We could go on all day...

As an owner i can say from experience from comments and reactions from people i have never met and out on the roads that the 182 is anything but a normal looking Clio,unless im mistaken and people react to every Clio they see like that !

V6 owners love their cars for what they are,as do 182 owners.I can safely say if i was spending V6 money i would never buy one,if V6 owners were soending 182 money could they say the same,i doubt it.I would be suprised if V6 owners would rather a Cooper S standard etc than a 182. ;)

Is anyone planning on capturing the 182 part of tonights Top Gear and making it available for download later? might be an idea if some one knows how to do this........

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 13 June 2004

I too would love to see it on a fast track,but still dont think it would be light years ahead.To the same point i would love to see the cars on a very twisty section of track.The very normal looking 182 (as you put it) beat the evo 260 in a slalom test in this months evo,so how poor would your car look against that type of test??

There are many variables for compairing speed but i dont think you can take away the 13-14k price difference when comparing cups/182s and v6s on a track

The cup/182 is more than capable of upseting much bigger and faster cars on a track than a v6.As you will see tonight on top gear..MMUUUHHHHAAAAAAA

ian

[Edited by ian 172 on 13 June 2004 at 2:50pm]

well whatever, but money is NO object to me so I would rather have the awesome looking V6 255 than a 182...simple :)

Simon.

http://www.x-plane.org/users/shmall719/Turbo_Tracks/Avatars/clio182.jpgbtw when I say the 182 looks like a normal clio I mean just that, no road pressence at all, nobody looks and thinks WOW, its a fast but boring looking car compared to the V6 255, which is an awesome looking and fast car :)

I can understand that if you dont have the money then a 182 is a good buy, but not for me....

http://www.x-plane.org/users/shmall719/Turbo_Tracks/Avatars/clio255.jpgsimon.

[Edited by shmall on 13 June 2004 at 9:08pm]

[Edited by shmall on 13 June 2004 at 9:11pm]

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

wottt? the 182/172/cups do have road presence. it makes it worse wen i look at them in my rear view on my clio coz the mirror tends to make everything look wider, and therefor more menacing!

ok, their not as awesome as v6s, but wen i see that deep cut below the headlights i know its my time to pull in and let the guy*past!!

*or gal, as there are many female 172 owners

well each to is own...but i dont see any road pressence in the 182/172....I only bought a clio because it was a V6 :)

If I couldnt have a V6 I would buy Scooby sti :)

Simon.

Mondeo STTDCI

THINK youve been missing the point mate.

For £21,000+ I would of course expect a bit more road presence.

For £12,000? Think Ill take the 182.

Its a bit like comparing a £25 a trick hoe to a £500 an hour hoe. You just...cant!

V6 money is 2nd hand TVR money

X or Y plate tuscan anyone

<<<ian
Have you ever been in or driven a TVR? Theyre nothing more than an expensive badly put together kit car, horrible cars!

dont worry about that pete youll spend more time waiting for the AA to turn up stood outside the car or taking it back to the dealership than actually driving it

Yes V6s look great but in terms of outright performance they hold nothing over a cup/182. 0-60 times for a cup/182/mk2 v6 are all in the region of 10 secs whereas the mk1 v6 is 11 secs.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 13 June 2004

Yes V6s look great but in terms of outright performance they hold nothing over a cup/182. 0-60 times for a cup/182/mk2 v6 are all in the region of 10 secs whereas the mk1 v6 is 11 secs.
Eh? 0-60 times at 10 seconds? 0-60 miles? Ive had 8 seconds 0-60 reading from a AP22 in the 172 even when I was bouncing it off the rev limiter in first, OMG does that mean the 172 is faster than a cup/182/mk2 v6?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 13 June 2004

<<<ian
Have you ever been in or driven a TVR? Theyre nothing more than an expensive badly put together kit car, horrible cars!
TVRs are gorgeous pieces of british design,you must of sat in an old one because the ones at the motorshow were stunning.Along with noble they are the best of british and there is nothing this side of 100k to touch them on performance

The cerbera can be had for 16k and break 9 seconds to 100mph

The tuscan can be had for 25k and has the same performance.

How can you talk about build quality and own a renault.

The T350 hammers an evo 8 and any subaru on a track.

Now whats horrible about that?????

And lets have a better reply than clio 172 etc doing 10 secs -60mph

ian;)

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 13 June 2004

errrrr what you been reading mate???

V6 255 0-60 5.8seconds max speed 153mph

182 0-60 7.1seconds max speed 137mph

all a bit faster than 10 seconds I think...... :)

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 13 June 2004

<<<ian

Plus they are very expensive to run.

service every 6000 miles at average cost of £500-£600.

clio is every 12000 at average cost of £200

[Edited by shmall on 13 June 2004 at 11:14pm]