ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Gearbox Mount Sheared Bolt Help!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
So last night i pulled out of a junction, not hard and got a thud. I then started getting vibration and banging in 1st and 2nd gear whilst engine was on load.

1st guess what engine mount of some type, amazingly i was right but i wasnt ready for this. I took the battery out and the mount felt loose. So started up bolting the mount and it just lifted out without loosening the main middle bolt.

Looks like the bolts sheared off, but its sheared at the top of the bolt but the thread in the gearbox is about 16mm down from the top.

So whats the plan, any suggestions or idea? hoping a little drilling and an E.Z.out will help me become unstuck.

2a9dfd5b.jpg

06cbbd5a.jpg

58d1d969.jpg

HELP :dapprove:

i'd say that's going to be a bit of a pain, due to the limited access

it's held on by a nut (accessible from wheelarch); you can get a spanner on it, but can't really turn it (there isn't room)

welding a nut onto it would probably be the easiest if you've got or know someone with a welder

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Huh?

Where can i get a snapper on? i thought the thread was just a stud for the mount?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
it's a double-ended bolt - you'll need a spanner on the lower nut (it's a wheel off/axle stand job)

Nope, thanks to your 1st post i went and had another look. 3x17mm bolts takes the whole gearbox mount off. Soon as that was off the sheared bold drops out thankfully. The thread on the mount itself is fooked so need a new gearbox mount and gearbox mount casting.

THANKS FELLA!

Amazingly we just got our Alfa back from its service so can use that tomorrow and take a trip to Renault parts dept and have a drool over the RS megane whilst there

good, good

i'd not spotted that it's snapped below the collar and that it was recessed - would have been a right job to get that out if it'd been screwed into the 'box and not a nut

Megane dci 130
Iv seen this a few times now, get the braket off the gearbox and that stud is nutted from uderneath. The stud is around £12 iirc.

P210109_0836.jpg

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Iv seen this a few times now, get the braket off the gearbox and that stud is nutted from uderneath. The stud is around £12 iirc.

P210109_0836.jpg

Thats the kiddy, all off and sorted now. Ill pop into renault tomorrow. Any idea why they do it? Seems an odd thing to go tbh. All i can think is imperfection in the bolt

You have no idea how happy iam that renault designed it to use a bracket on top on the gearbox

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Trouble i have now is the thread IN the bracket is actually shagged. Ill take it somewhere tomorrow and see if i can get it helicoiled

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Im showing thread in mine. Maybe its actually not a thread but damage from the bolt so it appears to have a thread. For instance if the bottom bolt was loose and was giving a little movement, over time causing an impression on the casting of a thread?

96f9cccc.jpg

2d5caf24.jpg

Sorry the pics arent clearer but snapped them with the iphone quickly

Would be good to see a unit and compare them, will the Renault parts catalogue show enough detail?

Not that i have any type of catalogue or manual