ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top mount possible problem??

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
Changed my front shocks over on my 172 cup and noticed on rebuilding the top mounts onto the shock that there is a lot of play in it. i have tightened up the top mount nut as much as it will go but I can still move the rubber doughnut up and down and a bit side to side (Whilst off the car). Is this normal? I thought I would have able to preload the top mount bearing and eliminate any play. The bearing itself is fine. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
  Welcome to the L4yer
I have the same problem on my 52 clio 172. Does anyone know what to do? I asked local garage to have look but all they said that is was loose & offered no advice or fix!?:(

i think their all like this guys,i've gone through about 3 or 4 sets and they've all been the same,they have to have some play for the camber and castor angles changing as you drive but it's hard to describe how much play their is in words so it's really up to your judgement if it's excessive

Welcome to the L4yer
thanks tidyclio, thinking of renewing top mount. Can get them for a tenner of eurocarparts. Is it easy to change? i.e. remove top nut, replace, & put top nut back (I have read I might need an impact gun)

if you can get them for a tenner go for it,the lowest price i got was around £50 from a motorfactors although never bothered trying eurocarparts.
it ain't to bad to change if your good with spanner.you will need spring compressors if your on standard springs though, wouldnt use an impact gun mate get a swan neck 21mm spanner and an allen key.take out the two 18mm bolts in the hub.then when it's off the car compress the spring and just undo the top mount nut and it will come of

Welcome to the L4yer
hmmm sounds like a bit of mission, maybe I haven't found the right part on eurocarparts - could be just the bush. Thinking of fitting a strut brace to fix the problem, what do you think?

it isn't mate from what i said it sounds major but what i said is basically everything you need to do. if you don't know what your doing you will learn something from it so why not.is your car not handling great either then?
check sometime maybe that is the right price after all it just a bit of rubber with a bearing. if you could get a strut brace that actually bolts to the top of the struts that may help but i havn't seen any most just bolt to the body of the car so only really stop the body flexing

996 Carrera
I noticed this same problem when I fitted some sportlines a while back - was very noticeable on the driver's side. Just in case the rubber bush was worn I forked out £40+ for a new one from Renault. I fitted this yesterday and there is no difference, loads of play.

I'm wondering if the rubber bush isn't the problem but the washer that goes in the middle and makes contact with the bearing underneath the rubber bush? There was some wearing of the middle of the washer but nothing major, so it obviously moves a bit when fitted to the car.

Does anyone know if you can get an aftermarket washer that fits more snugly?