ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top mounts

Mini Cooper S JCW
Noticed one of my top mounts can be turned and the other is solid.
Looks like the bolt isnt wound down as much as the otherside
So question is.....how tight should these be? How many threads should i wind the nut down?

Clio 197
When you say top mounts do you mean the visible part in the engine bay which sits on top of the suspension turret?

It's quite possible that they don't sit flush on the turret, I would check both sides are tightened up properly (Allen key in the centre to hold the top of the shock) whilst the car is on the ground.

Clio 172 phase 1
Mine sit high on my spax Rsx with the wheels on the ground there about 10mm above being flush yet everything's tight and it still handles spot on .... It a pain but not bothering me can't see it when the bonnets shut

Mini Cooper S JCW
When you say top mounts do you mean the visible part in the engine bay which sits on top of the suspension turret?

It's quite possible that they don't sit flush on the turret, I would check both sides are tightened up properly (Allen key in the centre to hold the top of the shock) whilst the car is on the ground.

Yeah this part!

looks like mine are done up unevenly, one nut is would down around 4 threads the other onlt 2. How tight should these be?

Clio 197
Yeah this part!

looks like mine are done up unevenly, one nut is would down around 4 threads the other onlt 2. How tight should these be?

Not sure on the exact figures but you won't go far wrong with "as tight as you can". I am not sure why they are different from drivers to passenger side unless they need tightening.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
they need to be tight but not so tight that you'll never get them off, which is what people seem to do - tightening them up to FT spec so you need a windy gun to undo them. They only stop the shock falling out if you ever get the wheels off the ground

Mini Cooper S JCW
they need to be tight but not so tight that you'll never get them off, which is what people seem to do - tightening them up to FT spec so you need a windy gun to undo them. They only stop the shock falling out if you ever get the wheels off the ground

Thanks, I bare this in mind