ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top mounts

2003 Clio 172
Hi gang,
Hope you can help as I am seriously doubting myself here.

A short while ago I had, lets just say.......an experience with a boulder while avoiding an idiot on a country road :(
Wheel has a slight buckle and tyre is duffed but I suspected top mount damage which upon removal, seemed right as the little bearing was fried and the top part of mount had more of a gap than the other side (you know what I mean)

So, anyhoo....sourced a set of OCAP top mounts from ECP and duly installed them. Now, since the hit and top mount replacement, the car has been very skittery....you know....spinning the wheels all to easy etc and I just put this down to geometry changing after replacing the top mounts.

So I went today to have my alignment done at a major outfit (in NI anyway) and once on the ramps, they brought me to the car and said there was no point aligning the car as the top mounts were shot.

The car was jacked right up with no load on the front wheels (off the ground) and they pulled the top of the shocks in and out and said that was why.

Now.......the old mounts are in the bin (of course, because OF COURSE) so I cannot check but I thought I remembered that this was standard behaviour was it not? Can anyone confirm if the shock can move in and out a few mm (towards the engine and back) or do I really have a faulty set of mounts?

I pulled the top strut caps off and looked at the mounts and I do see a gap between the central, long washer and the outside of the donut. is that right or should that be a neat fit?

20161217_153324.jpg

HALP PLS

J

2003 Clio 172
Guys, can anyone confirm the shock movement?

Need to work out if I have to go and grumble at ECP tomorrow

Thx J