ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

top spec gaming pc?

What would be better, a ps3? xbox 360 or a top spec gaming pc?

Bearing in mind with most hd tv's the support vga so you could use it on a 42inch lcd tv,

What would be the cost of a top spec gaming pc?

And would the games be as good on a pc?

Say you played fifa 10 0n a top end pc vs a ps3/360 what would be better?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
For that purpose the 360 by far. A decent top spec gaming PC is going to be £2000+

You can have a very good quality 50" 1080p TV and 360 Elite for FAR less than that and there are plenty of games available for the 360. You only have to take a look at the lack of PC games available these days (thanks to people downloading them illegally and developers not wanting to touch the PC because of it).

Unfortunately for many people (me included) building such specification PCs is more because of hobby/interest rather than being able to play the latest game.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
PC if you like WoW.

PS3 for everything else.

PC gaming seems like a thing of the past tbh!?

Better than yours. C*nt.
PC if you like WoW.

PS3 for everything else.

PC gaming seems like a thing of the past tbh!?

WTF?

Far from. I've yet to see anything on XBox that comes close to Crysis, you can't do RTS on anything else and Flight Simulator X is fantastic.

Past. Ha!

Bearing in mind with most hd tv's the support vga so you could use it on a 42inch lcd tv

Modern graphics cards also support hdmi so that's a non-issue.

The rest of it is personal choice. A top spec PC will definitely offer better visuals but considering a 'top-end' graphics card alone is going to cost far more than either a PS3 or x360, you better have deep pockets if you're getting into the hardcore gaming PC scene.

For 95% of gamers, consoles make more sense.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you want (and can) spend the money - the PC is the way to go.

Consoles look good. But watch a PC that costs five times as much and your jaw will drop ;). The endless scope of PCs is what keeps me interested. From editing sound files, to burning CD/DVDs, playing games, doing a 'bit' of work, to forum access and even controlling a telescope - the possibilities go as far as your imagination.

As above however, the cheaper no frills appeal of consoles wins over the majority.

D.

Motorbikes
I prefer Xbox. Mostly due to cost and space. Before I got it I was going to get a gaming laptop but not much point really.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Consoles are by far the best gaming option these days, if anyone says different they are talking crap. PCs can be built to easily exceed the ability of consoles, but at a much greater cost and if there are next to no games for it, what's the point? (from a gaming perspective anyway).

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
WTF?

Far from. I've yet to see anything on XBox that comes close to Crysis, you can't do RTS on anything else and Flight Simulator X is fantastic.

Past. Ha!

I guess it's just that I'm not a hardcore gamer! Used to love Quake 3 Arena and Command & Conquer on the PC... they offered much more than a console could. Also Half Life, wow, what a game.

But now I have no need to play on a PC as my PS3 does everything I need it to and at a quarter of the price!

Also, I have no interest in Fail Simulator X :evil:

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
The PC will always win graphically & you could use a 360 controller. You could spend as much as 6k on specin up a Alienware PC or anything similar. You can't really compare consoles and PC's imho as one is a dedicated gaming platform and the other a office tool, which can be upgraded any time... Something consoles can't do!.

There are loads of multi-format games that appear on PC's, but if I were to choose just one - it would be a 360. Reason being as many people have said the cost and also there are more games on the consoles (well there appears to be?...).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Consoles are by far the best gaming option these days, if anyone says different they are talking crap. PCs can be built to easily exceed the ability of consoles, but at a much greater cost and if there are next to no games for it, what's the point? (from a gaming perspective anyway).

Why would someone be talking crap? Is that crap because their tastes look beyond Forza, FIFA or MW2 - the latter of which will be out on PC anyway?

The two issues that anyone who's vaguely interested in games has with PCs are - 1. The cost and 2. The mess.

The cost issue is self-explanatory, but people are now sucked up into the coffee-table perfection, flat TV, no wires mentality vision of how their home should look. When a PC comes along in a case eight times the size of a console, sounds like a wind turbine to keep it cool and has several wires hanging out of it - it simply shatters their view of what looks good.

That combined with the cheap and off the shelf ease of use of consoles, makes them a clear winner in most peoples' eyes. That doesn't always make it better, however. I priced up a few new PC components yesterday and winced a little at the £929 price tag. Still, I would happily spend that in favour of a £200 console. They are just chalk and cheese in terms of what 'I' want.

As for the declining PC gaming in general, I have to agree with you. I'm hoping that when Windows 7 becomes mainstream that there will be a bit of a revival in PC games. Either that or Sony and Microsoft can charge £1k for each of their consoles and equilibrium will be restored alongside PCs again. ;)

D.

Crysis is an excellent game but its only one game and if you have completed it, don't like it or are bored of it waiting for delayed console ports must be a frustrating pasttime!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Nope, not really. Crysis Wars is an epic multiplayer game if you can get to grips with it, as is Battlefield.

Why would I want crapsole ports when I can have games which easily surpass anything in terms of multiplayer or realism that can be produced by a console? When was the last time you had an all-out 'war' with 63 other online folks on a console?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, not really. Crysis Wars is an epic multiplayer game if you can get to grips with it, as is Battlefield.

Why would I want crapsole ports when I can have games which easily surpass anything in terms of multiplayer or realism that can be produced by a console? When was the last time you had an all-out 'war' with 63 other online folks on a console?

I've still not given that a go yet, Mike! Am I missing out?

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Crysis was excellent, but it came out a long time ago and not many other games worth mentioning have really come out since. Also, I lost count of the amount of times my PC crashed when playing Fallout 3, whereas I could have bought it on 360 and played it without fault everytime I picked the 360 controller up, sure it looked better on the PC, but were the pain and headaches really worth it?

I'm not saying PCs aren't better, all I am saying is if you are after the ultimate gaming machine, it has to be one of the consoles for the allround package. You only have to walk into any PC World, Currys, Comet, Sainsbury's, Tescos etc to see how many PC games they sell in comparison to PS3/Xbox 360/Wii, infact IIRC Tescos & Sainsbury's don't even sell PC games anymore.

Last edited:

Last November when Resistance 2 came out on the ps3:p Although admittedly it was only 60 people.

The point I'm trying to make is Crysis is an old game. Yes it looks fantatsic but if the pc world only has one game from 2007 thats worth mentioning then its a pretty sad state of affairs.

Whats on the horizon PC wise that isn't being ported over from the 'crapsoles'?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I used to be a keen PC gamer, but can't be arssed with the cost, compatibility issues etc, for me now console is so much easier, but agree PCs are best, love using a KB and mouse set up.

DCi
personally when i play pc games i spend more time tweaking the graphics to get the optimum performance than playing (I cant help it lol) but that irritates me if it's not right

however, with a console, sticking a game in, it pretty much always 'just works' hooray!

My PC is more stable than my Xbox.

If your PC is set up right then you will have no issues, simple as that.

It's not fair really comparing a PC to any Consol. A pc will surpass a consol in every way possable.

The Xbox 360 uses somthing like an ATI 1800 graphics card, or somthing old and stupid like that. Newer PC components will blow any consol out the water in terms of quality and useability.

Plus consol gaming is awfull for things like FPS games. Who wants to try and aim with a little stick?

I have an Xbox 360, and i have 1 game for it. Thats Forza, because thats all its good for. COD4 etc are all 10x better on the PC.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Simple reason why PC's are better, modifications.

Get bored of a game? wait a few months, there'll be tonnes of mods out for it to make it exactly how you want it. The amount of hours i spent on the COD4 Zombie server, was f**king awesome.

Whats the zombie server you say? Fack off back to your consoles your not good enough to be informed.

Want to be a f**king jedi and pwn anything that moves just because you can whilst playing with thousands of people all over the world simultaneously on one server? get a PC. (Star wars: the old republic, although not out yet)

Want new tracks for your racing games? new cars? more realistic settings etc? Get a PC, or wait 63.5 million years for an official update to become available on your console.

Want to actually be able to aim accurately and quickly with a mouse? buy a PC. I don't care what anyone says, you will NEVER be able to aim as quickly and as accurately with a controller as you can with a mouse. If i could wire a mouse/keyboard into console FPS's i'd own every single one of you xD.

I played fallout 3 no problem on my PC, maybe your PC's just s**t. If you set up and maintain your PC properly, you'll very rarely have any issues with it.

Consoles are for paupers.

/end.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^^^^^^

partly agree, i have a very good set up on my pc, got that new NFS shift and my system laughs at the top graphics settings, looking at the screen shots it is inpressive on standard, however i got it for race sims like gtr2, gtr evo etc with my G25 wheel, which cannot be beaten as i just download what ever track/car i want, also for stratigy games ther is no comprimise.

but in terms of COD4 xbox ftw! and before you all say i know nothing, i was bread on counter strike, i loved it, but the xbox, i just come in, wack my headset in, jump into my mates party and within 30 seconds of me coming in the room, i am playing cod with all my mates who are also team mates speaking to them as if i was in the same room, no faffing with servers and mods and passworded servers and gaylord bumrapist who have got trainers setup, just fair play! and thats why its great to play xbox, plus for people to get used to using a key board it takes years, wher as a pad is sat in your hands will all buttons ther instantly!

the graphics in the xbox is a 7800GTX pretty much, which isnt s**t at the end of the day, but its not about the graphics to me anymore, the xbox is about availaibilty of social play, coz microsoft basiclly run all servers for all games, giving them a basic layout, you get consistancy.

but still thats just my opinon, get yourself a mild gaming system, you can get board,cpu and ram for less than 150 quid and will be good enough to run most games at high spec, then maybe a 250GT card which are like £90 or less!!! and jobs done!

bottom line though:

xbox is a platform which will stay the same

pc requires upgrading, and who ever has a build over £2000 is a fool, coz in less than 3months its all old hat as they depreciate at the speed of light!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ah, are you the guy whose 8800GT does everything at full whack? I can't remember.

XBox is ATI/AMD, FYI.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Ah, are you the guy whose 8800GT does everything at full whack? I can't remember.

XBox is ATI/AMD, FYI.

i kno that, but the 7800GTX is the nvidia equivilant of what the xbox is running, no i dont have a 8800, i got a GTX 275

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I used to be a keen PC gamer, but can't be arssed with the cost, compatibility issues etc, for me now console is so much easier, but agree PCs are best, love using a KB and mouse set up.

personally when i play pc games i spend more time tweaking the graphics to get the optimum performance than playing (I cant help it lol) but that irritates me if it's not right

however, with a console, sticking a game in, it pretty much always 'just works' hooray!

^^^ - these are the more worrying comments regarding the current state of PC gaming. Mainly because they are true and that they come from PC gamers. We're not trying to convince console owners about how good PCs are, but when you have PC owners falling for the charms of the consoles - then we really are in trouble.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way out of it. I can normally round up a few people for a blat on Race'07, but console owners can guarantee many times that number. The missus not watching Corrie or RearEnders? Flick over the input and go on the 360/PS3 for a while. I don't know many (if any) people who have a £1k+ PC linked up to their main TV.

It's a shame that the far superior system is being pushed to the side by forces beyond its control - ironically, with Microsoft not helping the situation at all with the 360.

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Simple reason why PC's are better, modifications.

Get bored of a game? wait a few months, there'll be tonnes of mods out for it to make it exactly how you want it. The amount of hours i spent on the COD4 Zombie server, was f**king awesome.

Whats the zombie server you say? Fack off back to your consoles your not good enough to be informed.

Want to be a f**king jedi and pwn anything that moves just because you can whilst playing with thousands of people all over the world simultaneously on one server? get a PC. (Star wars: the old republic, although not out yet)

Want new tracks for your racing games? new cars? more realistic settings etc? Get a PC, or wait 63.5 million years for an official update to become available on your console.

Want to actually be able to aim accurately and quickly with a mouse? buy a PC. I don't care what anyone says, you will NEVER be able to aim as quickly and as accurately with a controller as you can with a mouse. If i could wire a mouse/keyboard into console FPS's i'd own every single one of you xD.

I played fallout 3 no problem on my PC, maybe your PC's just s**t. If you set up and maintain your PC properly, you'll very rarely have any issues with it.

Consoles are for paupers.

/end.

flol, my PC is far from sh*t. Its a well known fact that Fallout (on PC anyway) was buggy when first released.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
i kno that, but the 7800GTX is the nvidia equivilant of what the xbox is running, no i dont have a 8800, i got a GTX 275

Same garphics card as me bud, but mines the XXX Edition which is a little overclocked out of the box.

MKIII 138
time will tell.

the majority of sales are now moving to console. and to be fair fallout 3 on xbox360 had stunning gfx that on my 84" pj looked great. yes the pc has better gfx still but i loved the way it loaded at the same speed every time with no fuss on console, usually just as im playig a pc game something kicks off in windows and there is a slight delay.

which bothers me as if a game / level takes 15 -20 secs to load, it should always take 15 - 20 secs to load.. on consoles thats what you can get.

also.. natal.. just looks imense. and i agree about COD4 / 5 its just fun even on a friday night where i would usually always go out now alot of nights my mates will jump on cod and drink at home with plenty of banter over the headset and i suprisngly look forward to it more

the thing about pc`s is the kind of person that sets up and spends ££££ on a pc getting online in a game isnt the sort of person i want to banter with on xbox360 playing COD or Forza

MKIII 138
So you don't fancy online gaming with me, Roy, Daz, Adam, etc...

can on 360 and ps3..

on pc ? im builidng a top spec gaming pc as we speak my current one isnt that good its from Aldi with THEE worst gfx card in history + core duo 2.66 and its still marginally better gfx than 360, runs slow because i use 1080p 22" monitor

but thats only because i love the very bleeding edge GFX and audio :D

Last edited:
  MKIII 138
looking at a bundle simular to this...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-003-OB

and have ordered this case (just because i thought it was hard looking and slightly amusing fan size)

l_03593943.jpg

Better than yours. C*nt.
TBH, I can't justify Nehalem at the moment. My idea of what I'm going to do is the FoxConn X48/DDR3 £80mobo (reduced from £250!) and a decent 775 Quad, and a nice new pair of 5870 Radeons...

Rest of my kit is great!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still quite happy with my Q6600 @ 3.2 and a GTX275, see no need to change for a fair while yet, everything is pretty at the res I play

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm just watching the 5870 do everything the GTX295 does and better in some cases, for £300.

Jeeeeeuss....