ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque wrenches

M2 Comp
Mooching about the halford ones seem good for the money.

Yeah they are mate, I have quite a few tools from Halfords (including two of their torque wrenches) and have found them really good tbh. Admittedly, that's only occasional use at home, I'm not sure how they'd cope doing 40+ hours a week!

They also give a good warranty. I haven't had a problem with any of mine, but I know of people who've had things break and they replaced them no questions asked.

Swift Sport
I've been left Britool a while now so I'm not sure on the latest models, but I'd probably look at a Sykes Pickavant/Norbar torque wrench as they're a simple design and stay within calibration quite well. The ratcheting mechanisms aren't the best but can be replaced, but if you use it properly and only occasionally you'll be fine. I'd avoid the mechanical type torque wrenches as despite being harder-wearing they're higher maintenance and need calibrating more frequently.

In regards to other brands I can't comment as we only used to service our own products (Britool, Sykes Pickavant and Norbar) but I'd imagine a Halfords torque wrench is fine for domestic use.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
56726923.jpg

Seriously though, Halfords if you can or the £20/30 Clarke/Generic ones for wheels and general big bolts.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I also use halfords because trade, I do believe the company halfords use also make bars for beta which are £££ they also look the same too :)

mk1 Octavia VRS
I've got the Draper 1/2" and 3/8" ones, both come with a hand written calibration certificate and a decent box.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just after something to check my wheels on trackdays. The one I use now is at a guess older than me. So something a wee bit more accurate would do me. I'm sure the wheels won't fall off but id like to be sure.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A Clio isn't an aircraft. Unless your a pro performance car builder where these things matter then just get anything that feels good and sturdy. Unless your using new bolts in clean threads then most torque settings are utter balls anyway. if you leave any kind of lubricant on there then again the figures don't count for much.

When it matters I check and double check and when it doesn't then just good and tight.

As a final thought I have found a 1/4 torque wrench handy as having worked on motorbikes it is so easy to over-tighten small fasteners!

I've got a couple of Halfords ones. I've dug out the receipts for you.

Trade prices when I purchased last year:

40-200nm £74.99 retail. £59.99 Trade

8-60nm £74.99 retail. £39.99 Trade

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I ended up just buying a silverline one off ebay. Seems popular, cheap and for what I need, will do the job.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Is that the BS standard?My elbow clicks when I use it so that must be the DIN standard. Seriously, I just use a $10 Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench, car torque settings with the exception of head bolts, are just a guide.

Track 172 Cup
I use one bought from Aldi when they had the sale of car tools on feels good and never had any problems with it just unscrew the end when ive finished using it as to not leave and pressure on it and it last's longer (apparently supposed to do this anyway)

Track 172 Cup
Only thing i have trouble with is the hub nut because its something like 280nm so either borrow one from the fitters at work or just do it F*%king tight.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Wheel nuts are the furthest I will go lol. Anything else gets checked by someone who knows what their doing :)

Silverline tools are generally speaking, Chinese tools.

For something you wish to retain a level of accuracy, I'd have avoided personally.

Hopefully it will see you right anyway :)