ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torquing procedure for rear main cap

182 track, Mk7 ST
I've had the dreaded leak from the rear main cap seals so I'm about to have it off, reseal it and re-torque it but I can't find a definitive torque figure anywhere for the bolts, does
anyone have this info please?

This applies mainly to the pro engine builders of the F4Rs or Renault techs as I want the correct answer.

Also do the main cap bolts need to be replaced or can they be used more than once?

Cheers,

Grant

Lionel Richie
the large crank seal behind the flywheel? easy enough, t**t in situ though!

box off
clutch off
flywheel off (pin the crank)
sump off
main cap off

ok to reuse bolts

now the fun part, clean all the silcone goop out the grooves up the sides, then brake cleaner the f**k out of all mating faces

the way i do it is i smear a bit of silicone in the corners, fit the crank seal roughly in place, then fit the main cap, then i torque it both bolts 35nm for stage one, then 68nm for stage 2, now i shove the nozzle of my silicone tube up the small groove on either side and pump it full until it weaps out of both sides

renew flywheel bolts, and torque to 65nm (book is 55nm but i don't trust it!)

Lionel Richie
oh and clean away any excess silicone inside engine that'll ooze out of the main cap, external doesn't matter, internal does!!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah, silicone up the oil pump strainer will hurt your pocket and not make you look like a rock star to the GF

182 track, Mk7 ST
the large crank seal behind the flywheel? easy enough, tw*t in situ though!

box off
clutch off
flywheel off (pin the crank)
sump off
main cap off

ok to reuse bolts

now the fun part, clean all the silcone goop out the grooves up the sides, then brake cleaner the f**k out of all mating faces

the way i do it is i smear a bit of silicone in the corners, fit the crank seal roughly in place, then fit the main cap, then i torque it both bolts 35nm for stage one, then 68nm for stage 2, now i shove the nozzle of my silicone tube up the small groove on either side and pump it full until it weaps out of both sides

renew flywheel bolts, and torque to 65nm (book is 55nm but i don't trust it!)

Cheers Fred, that is perfect, much appreciated as always! Engine and box are out and the engine's on a stand so easy enough to get to. Got new flywheel bolts etc, engine builder by trade so know the drill lol, decent bit of knowledge there for people searching in future.

As in crank seal, do you mean the rear main seal? Should it not be done afterwards or ok to do it before hand I presume?

I've just got some of the Renault supplied silicone sealant, any stuff that you use or is that good enough? Seen some people use CAF50 but from what I've read this stuff should do the trick!

Lol Mick, definitely not, don't want that happening!

Lionel Richie
yeah it "should" be done after, but they're a t**t to get in, so i cheat!! Makes like easier

another tip is to use a torch to make sure the silicone has sealed up the cap fully!

I just use high temp black silicone, never rated the renault stuff