ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Touch up kit - what am i doing wrong

Clio Trophy
So i got a touch up kit from renault, i have made sure the surface is clean before applying the base coat, left it for 10mins as per instructions, wet the end of the pen and rubbed down flat, but i have removed all the paint :eek:, so i have tried it again, leaving it for 20 mins, and then rubbing it down as light as possible, and taken all the paint out again :dapprove:

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Not sure on the difference but my halfords touch up kit says 24 hours between primer and paint etc.

Maybe leave it longer mate?

Audi A5
All I do if touch up with the brush very carefully in the scratch only and then leave it alone.

Clio Trophy
think i will ignore renaults instruction guide then, and leave it till tomorrow then gently smooth it down

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
I've had good results using a toothpick to apply the paint for small scratches and chips. Might be worth a go and there will be less to rub down when dried.

Use something with a pointy end to dab it into the area you're touching up. Tooth pick is a good suggestion, I usually just roll up some masking tape into a long cone shape and use the pointy end of that.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I've had good results using a toothpick to apply the paint for small scratches and chips. Might be worth a go and there will be less to rub down when dried.

thanks for that, I would have never thought to use a toothpick but that's a brilliant idea!

Z4
Don't fill the chip in one hit, layer the paint up small coats at a time.
​Then wait 24h, and gently flatten!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
So i got a touch up kit from renault, i have made sure the surface is clean before applying the base coat, left it for 10mins as per instructions, wet the end of the pen and rubbed down flat, but i have removed all the paint :eek:, so i have tried it again, leaving it for 20 mins, and then rubbing it down as light as possible, and taken all the paint out again :dapprove:

I understand what you mean with dabbing. On the renault touch up's, on the end of the brush is a domed 'dabber'. It says to dab the paint after x amount of time..what a crap idea! As mentioned use a tooth pick or tiny brush. Lay a low basecoat in the scratch, then 24 hours do the same with the lacquer. I have mixed paint and lacquer together to good results aswell!
​Chris

I found my Renault touch kit when I had my 1.2 didnt really dry that well, I would leave it for a few days and when wet flatting down it would rub away. I bought a touch up kit from ebay from a paint supplier and it dried hard enough to be flatted down. Same with my Black gold touch up kit, made by a paint shop and drys hard enough to be flatted after a day or two.