ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tow bar for 182

Shhh

Anyone had one fitted, i looked under the rear of the car and would not like to be the one to create, fit one of these.

Reasons..

1. Aids rear end shunts..

2. Allows me to tow the bike trailer..

Help required..

Alias

Shhh

Thats what i was thinking when i looked under it..i was like....erm....erm....yea....ill get off the floor now..

May be a nice work of art to avoid them exhausts, and when its time to change them, the tow bar maybe required to be dropped down..

Ill email witter, always worth a laugh...

big red bus

Im sure it will be able to do somehow, i thoguth you cannot get roofracks on the 182, but i had seen differently.

Lee

BMW M2C

Id expect something would have to be fabricated for it but Im sure a professional towbar place could sort it out. Theres no obvious or easy way of attaching it as theres nothing behind the bumper now the spare wheel well has gone, just the back boxes which are obviously going to be in the way.

Do witter do one? Theyre normally the guys to go to for one.

Id be interested if you find out, as it would mean I could buy a boat! :oops:

Shhh

I live round the corner from witter, ive offered them my car in a email for a proto type so i could get it for free / cheaper..if you know what i mean...;)

having worked in the towbar/trailer trade previously, i would very much doubt that you would get witter to design a bar for this vehicle as it is of such a low production number.your best bet would be to go to someone like bosal but even then chances are slim, as for making one yourself it is not possible as type approval came in, in september 98 and it states that in basic terms you can not make a bar for any passenger vehicle with an eu approval number, without it having type approval itself.this also affects the electrics fitted!!

Shhh

Thanks for the advice, i wanted a tow bar for the above reasons. If renault stated the towing weights, well surely they could provide information towards a tow bar. Ive seen one for the Modus, and thats well weird so im guessing along the same lines.

I assume the Clio 182 was not just released in the uk, so around the world im sure their would be a demand for these. On here i would guess about 20% of the 182 owners would consider one for there veichle. Maybe one that has the towing ball hiden until required, so maybe one that finishes sort under the bumper and allows you to get your 20mm socket and spanner out to attatch the final component..therefore not losing the nice look of the 182 twin exhaust rear end.

At the start it was a general post that if one had been made available to purchase, but maybe there is a market out there and maybe someone would fill that space.

I never know when to use thier, or there so please excuse the mistakes, its a product of me getting a D in english at School many many years ago.

Alias

Weve cut and welded tow bars in the past to get them to fit cars before, I guess that voids any type approval! lol Boot floor of the 182 is totally different from any other model so I guess you cant do it from them.

Just spoken to my parts guy, he says that the boot floor is plastic and the pipes get in the way, the only way of fixing one would be, ridiculously enough, fix a pole to the roof and extend a metal arm. I think he was takin the piss though.

As for renault manufacturing one, they dont, anyone else, the logistics of it are practically impossible due to the plastic boot layer.

I ope you find one but the odds are against it. Sorry to harbour bad news......

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Plastic Boot floor?!? wtf?

Im sure mine is metal, seems a bit daft if it was plastic?!?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

the clio is too light for towing stuff,a trailer yes but get a van like the man said above

^^^ A clio aint too light to tow with - Ive towed my folks caravan in a lighter (1010kg) car in the past.

I wouldnt expect a towbar to fit a 182 though, purely cos of those exhausts. I dont think Renault quote a towing figure for the 172 either, but not sure of the reasons for that.

I was also told that you cant fit a rear-mounted bike carrier to a clio, but Ive managed for the past 8 months OK. Dont always trust what youre told...
http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1096710734__Clio27-Apr-04bikerackpic3.jpg

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

im after one for my car as well but no luck :(

i have seen a 172 near me with a towbar so i am going to go and see him one of the days and have a look to see if this bar would fit, the only thing if the bar did fit would be the electric pack would have to be relocated but this would not be a major problem

Anything from the fleet

ive fitted a tow bar to my mates 172 and it tows fine. bumper off job, but relatively simple. a place local to me (indespension) said you could get a swan neck tow bar for the 182, so one of these days ill go down and get them to show me!