ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing a Clio!

MG ZR 1.8
I have a trs tow strap on my 1.4 sport rep and Its not starting.

Advice for towing? I've never been towed before lol

Prob wrong section too!

260% JCW
Ignition on
Hazzards on
Try and keep the rope tight whilst driving (no yanking back and forth)
Go slow
Brake super early for everything
Don't go up the ass of the person towing you

Good luck.

one other thing do you not have AA/RAC?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
And whatever you do, don't take the key out. Because the steering lock will go on when you go round a corner.

Remember you lose control assistance as well, so steering and brakes will be a lot heavier.

Last edited by a moderator:
  260% JCW
Oh and you're going to need some rope, if it's thin double it up. Enough for 6-8ft between cars maybe.

MG ZR 1.8
It's done now.
Was only a mile/2 luckily.
Dad came out in his van. And yeah I have break down cover but didn't feel the need as I was so close

It was a weird feeling being towed. Will get it fixed soon :(
Thanks guys

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I believe you aren't really allowed to use tow ropes anymore and should now use a tow pole instead?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
this is one issue thats going to be thrown up by the installation of tow strap!!

since the AA/RAC will only want to tow you with a bar, they may well refuse to attempt to tow a clio with a tow strap!!

also would like to know the law about towing with a rope! since they still sell them at service stations,
and i have been towed away on a rope in the presence of many traffic police officers without them asking any questions! lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
this is one issue thats going to be thrown up by the installation of tow strap!!

since the AA/RAC will only want to tow you with a bar, they may well refuse to attempt to tow a clio with a tow strap!!

they aren't allowed to use standard towing points at all anymore if they're screw in, not even to pull a car onto a trailer/dolly. They use different gear altogether

172 Race Car
Wrong, mk2 Clio isnt recomended to be straight bar towed, tow eye point isnt strong enough. Yes it can be done and will probably be fine but its advised against.

they aren't allowed to use standard towing points at all anymore if they're screw in, not even to pull a car onto a trailer/dolly. They use different gear altogether
Yes they can, again make and model dependant

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely the intelligent will have left the solid towing eye in the boot for such an occasion ? Or are the daft TRS ones a socket-set job to install ?!

Lotus Elise
Surely the intelligent will have left the solid towing eye in the boot for such an occasion ? Or are the daft TRS ones a socket-set job to install ?!

Socket job, the OMP ring ones are just as bad. As soon as you slow down the bar goes through the bumper.

An orange one
So not only do tow straps and rings look ghey, they are completely useless if you need an actual tow!

Pointless mods FTL!!

MG ZR 1.8
I only have a tow rope. I do have the metal ring that comes in the spare wheel, going to have to get it to a garage at some point this week :/ it's not even starting at all now. Stoopid cars