ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing Rules & Regs

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Am I correct in thinking that I can tow a car trailer with a car on aslong as the total weight is less than 3500kg on a B licence?
Just looking at ways of transporting the rally car round next year.

Thanks for any advice.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The tow cars unladen weight must exceed the gross weight of the trailer and the maximum allowable mass of the tow car and trailer must not exceed 3500kg

eg.
Audi A6 unladen 1450kg
Audi A6 max laden weight 2080kg
gives you a max trailer gvw of 1420kg ( get a 1500kg trailer and get the manufacturer to send you a downrated chassis plate to 1420 kg )

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Yes that’s correct. 3500max. That’s including everything. Both cars, trailer, fuel, tyres, tools etc. Very easy to go over.
I have passed my B+E licence this Thursday.
Training and exam all in one day. Highly recommend.
128d059febeb906f117535a96f0ad537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
So basically it's doable just need the tow car max laden weight and the trailer max weight to add up to 3500kg max?

So next what is a good car and trailer combo?
Car needs to be below 1k not fussed on brands or how quick it is just something reliable.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
So basically it's doable just need the tow car max laden weight and the trailer max weight to add up to 3500kg max?

So next what is a good car and trailer combo?
Car needs to be below 1k not fussed on brands or how quick it is just something reliable.

total weight must not exceed 3.5t
basicaly add your car unladen weight+trailer+what ever on trailer+ what ever inside the tow vehicle.

almost any car that can tow around 1800-2000 will do.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
basicaly add your car unladen weight+trailer+what ever on trailer+ what ever inside the tow vehicle.

Thought that was the case. Thanks for the help. Just starting thinking about next year as some of the rallys I want to do are to far away to drive the car to.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Honestly, get your B+E licence. Super easy and quick. And won’t break the bank!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

No. It’s not actual weight, it’s based on the MAXIMUM weight. The copper will check the gross (maximum) weight on the plate inside the driver’s door, and then the plated maximum weight on the trailer. Add those together, and if it’s more than 3500kg then it’s bad news.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Pule is wrong. McGherkin is right.

Take my old situation:

Alpina D3 max laden weight - 2040kg

3500 - 2040 = 1460.

So I had my trailer down plated to a max of 1455kg.

Then I was legal.

Once I bought my Rangie I had to do my B+E as its max laden weight is over 3tonnes so no amount of f**king about with the plated weight of the trailer was getting me round that.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
I guess I was wrong! Sorry for a bad advice. I was convinced that 3500 was total current weight and not possible max weight. The power of internet hey. Well my other advice is still sound! Get B+E.

I saw a car + trailer on the hard shoulder this morning with a blown out (10"? 12"?) tyre on the trailer.

I wasn't very surprised, it was a Peugeot 307 trailering a nearly-new Range Rover... LOL

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I was looking at laguna sized estates as it's only towing a light weight Twingo and an appropriate small trailer.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
@pule333 can you give me a bit of insight to the trailer test please?

If I’m reading correctly online, it says you have to bring your own trailer?

How did your day plan out? What was the test like?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Tow text is easily.

One reverse move to learn, how to hook up and unhook then on to the road.

Hardest but is driving as if your taking your test again as they mark you on that again so need to unlearn bad habits for a couple of hours.

Mine cost 499 days teaching and test, past first time

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
@pule333 can you give me a bit of insight to the trailer test please?

If I’m reading correctly online, it says you have to bring your own trailer?

How did your day plan out? What was the test like?

Instructor had a trailer and provided that and car for test. Met at 8am. Did quick revers practice than on to road. Test was at 1pm. Passed same day. It’s fairly easy. For me the hardest was to remember on what order to Unhook trailer lol.
Give Matt a call on card I provided. He is extremely helpfull.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
does all this B+E testing bollox only apply to younger drivers.

If you passed your test before the internet was invented, and you have every letter of the alphabet on the back of your licence can you drive/tow anything or does the 3.5 ton limit still apply.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
does all this B+E testing bollox only apply to younger drivers.

If you passed your test before the internet was invented, and you have every letter of the alphabet on the back of your licence can you drive/tow anything or does the 3.5 ton limit still apply.

Tow up to 8250kg combined i think.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Tow up to 8250kg combined i think.
get me, I bet I could make a right mess with that sort of payload.

I did have a massive moment once while towing an XR4x4 (on a trailer) with a BMW E36. Got a proper snake on while driving on the M1.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
get me, I bet I could make a right mess with that sort of payload.

I did have a massive moment once while towing an XR4x4 (on a trailer) with a BMW E36. Got a proper snake on while driving on the M1.

I was discussing this last week with our lass, reminiscing watching a Discovery towing a caravan lose it on the M62 and flip over. I was explaining as soon as the snake starts, you are supposed to accelerate to straighten up. It fell on deaf ears.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I was discussing this last week with our lass, reminiscing watching a Discovery towing a caravan lose it on the M62 and flip over. I was explaining as soon as the snake starts, you are supposed to accelerate to straighten up. It fell on deaf ears.
I didn’t do that, I just s**t my pants.

As for the car I let off a little (I know you’re not supposed to) and it sorted itself out. My dad was in the car and the whole way through it he continued talking away to me. I ended up telling him to shut up.

It was one of those moments when you can see an accident coming, and you’re already living the aftermath before it’s happened.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I didn’t do that, I just s**t my pants.

As for the car I let off a little (I know you’re not supposed to) and it sorted itself out. My dad was in the car and the whole way through it he continued talking away to me. I ended up telling him to shut up.

It was one of those moments when you can see an accident coming, and you’re already living the aftermath before it’s happened.

You're correct, you are meant to lift off but not brake.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The licence law is a bit ridiculous really. In theory, my mum can tow a massive bloody great trailer, but I can't. A bit arbitrary.

If you're only towing a small car, you can get away with a reasonable amount. My mate tows his Puma track car on a small Brian James trailer and is within the limits for the usual post-1997 licence.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Can someone confirm this then, or rather @massivewangers can you break the above down again in plain English for me 🙉😂

So in theory I could tow a small car and trailer that’s under that 3500kg workout doing the B+E?

Is the licence only for over 3500Kg?

Edit: all I’ll really be doing is towing a medium type trailer to the tip etc. Couple of building materials etc.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if your total train weight is under 3500kg, you can do it on a standard car licence.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The licence law is a bit ridiculous really. In theory, my mum can tow a massive bloody great trailer, but I can't. A bit arbitrary.

If you're only towing a small car, you can get away with a reasonable amount. My mate tows his Puma track car on a small Brian James trailer and is within the limits for the usual post-1997 licence.

What is he towing it with and what are his weights for tow car, trailer and Puma?

Sounds close to the limits to me.

Pretty sure @f0xy got done for being ever slightly out with his car/trailer/trackcar combo, so my advice would be to just do the B+E.

Yep, back in 2011. 3 ponts and a fine.
It was a small trailer, with a MK1 Clio on it. Get the wrong traffic officer and your not getting away with it.
My advice... just do the test and forget about it. Isn't difficult whatsoever.
In 8 years and many tens of thousands of miles towing, I've been stopped/taken to weighbridges across the UK.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It’s not about the actual weight but the gross weights listed on the car and trailer. So if your car is allowed to weigh up to 2 tonnes you can tow a trailer with a max plated weight of 1500kg.

You can buy a trailer and get it downplated to whatever weight you need as well. Of course, don’t then overload it.

Yep, back in 2011. 3 ponts and a fine.
It was a small trailer, with a MK1 Clio on it. Get the wrong traffic officer and your not getting away with it.
My advice... just do the test and forget about it. Isn't difficult whatsoever.
In 8 years and many tens of thousands of miles towing, I've been stopped/taken to weighbridges across the UK.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the exact offence and weights? Thanks!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Also with down plating people seem to forget trailers weigh anything. Seen it a few times at tracks with people towing with what will be a 400kg trailer with a 1200kg car on and the plate saying 1300kg...

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
If I can just check something quickly...

I'm post 1997 license and missus is pre 1997. I've got a T5.1 T28 (2800kg). I'm off to look at some box trailers for motorbikes and so far they're all 15-1800kg. I'm guessing she can tow it but I can't?!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive tried to read up on this too but seeem to keep getting different advice lol, what can I tow on a post 1997 licence with this motor and if I do my trailer test what can I then tow?

I had about 2 tonne on the back of it a few weeks back and I'm going to assume I was wayyyyy over weight lol
kangoo.jpg

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
ive tried to read up on this too but seeem to keep getting different advice lol, what can I tow on a post 1997 licence with this motor and if I do my trailer test what can I then tow?

I had about 2 tonne on the back of it a few weeks back and I'm going to assume I was wayyyyy over weight lolView attachment 1442813

I think so... I would say 1150kg? I've found a 750kg box trailer but that leaves me at 3550kg. I need to downplate it to 700kg so I can tow the f**king thing. What a ridiculous set of rules.