ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyota Starlet Glanza V?

Twingo RS Cup
I know this isnt a Toyota forum but its got a load of members so thought someone might be able to help?
Wanted to post this in "Other Marques" section but its read only for non members i think?
Anyone ever owned one or anything? Been thinking about one since the Twingos gone :( and got quite a decent insurance quote the other day, tried to get insured on a 182 but was too expensive :(

Thanks for any advice/comments :)

ITB'd 182...
Im sure whatever you buy it will look the bomb, Hew ;)

All i know is they go realy well once tuned and lots of bits and pieces availible to tune them with :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Just going to stick this pic in here, so it can stay in this section ;)

1563373-1.jpg

Twingo RS Cup
Gupspeed tuned? lol
Cheers Hazza, iv loved them for ages but always thought insurance would pull my pants down being a import, tried a ek9 and new shape celica GT and 182 but insurance was too expensive :(

ITB'd 182...
Gupspeed tuned? lol
Cheers Hazza, iv loved them for ages but always thought insurance would pull my pants down being a import, tried a ek9 and new shape celica GT and 182 but insurance was too expensive :(

Knows it ;)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
How old are u?.. and how many NCB?

I have some friends who have had them in the past, and they are little pock rockets!

Twingo RS Cup
How old are u?.. and how many NCB?

I have some friends who have had them in the past, and they are little pock rockets!

20 mate, had 3 but not sure now lol what they handle like etc? I know the interiors quite poo but dont bother me too much lol most people didnt like the Twingos

Suzuki Ignis Sport
20 mate, had 3 but not sure now lol what they handle like etc? I know the interiors quite poo but dont bother me too much lol most people didnt like the Twingos

Yes, the interior isn't the greatest, a bit dull, but its solid because its Japanese. Handling on them are like go-karts, especially with coilovers, all of the ones i have seen have been lowered.

The driving position is very laid back and low, depending on what seats u have in them.

The only problem with them (maybe a problem for u, or maybe not) is the exhaust, they are usually suited to a large bore jap can, which are normally pretty loud!!!! Unless u stick a silencer in it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome for the money.

Be wary of "chipped to f*ck, innit" versions. Buy from a decent bloke, not some dodgy council house pikey who's mate mapped it on his PS2.

Great little cars though!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
They handle fine with mods. Easily made silly quick and pence to insure. Mine was 230bhp and quick for something this size. TD04 is the cheapest and most cost effective route to go. I had a hybrid though

toms063.jpg

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
I'd buy the ep82, it's lighter than the glanza, although the glanza is newer.

Handling, they can be made ok, but would never out handle a clio tbh. My gt turbo that I had before my clio was 210 at the wheels. Should have been more but the person who mapped it was a useless monkey.

And if you need 4wd, get an ep85 and throw in the turbo engine into that. Mini pulser with better reliability!

Ep82 generally seem to be the more performance enthusiast owned over the glanza as alot of folk that like the glanza looks over the gt turbo and it's more about looks for them.

Although the gt turbo being cheaper will no doubt have a factor in that as well.

My car in it's hay day:
DSCF0445.jpg

DSCF0447.jpg

DSCF0442.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

DSCF0405.jpg

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I found coileys, front and rear braces + a anti lift kit made mine handle pretty well if I'm honest.

My mate is currently looking to buy one of these instead of his Clio. We went and test drove a White 97 glanza, the car seemed to handle well and the power was rather impressive.
Only thing that annoyed me was the fact the are rattly tin cans! Good engines shocking shells!

145db Euro'd clio
been in one running nearly 300bhp and scared me. torque steered badly but he was running ALOT of power and had cheap tyres on. mind you, when conering not on boost, it would corner nicely and seemed to have plenty of grip and it was only on springs. so with a good set of tyres and a decent coilover setup. you should be on to a winner!

Twingo RS Cup
Thanks for the comments lads :)
The_Notorious_C_A_T - Yours looks lush and i dont normally like that shape! But one of the main reasons i want a Glanza V is for the looks tbh, just not too clued up about them atm

182 Trophy
i'd own one just to have boost and they can be made to look nice, but they're getting a slightly chavy image imo now and they fetch wayyy too much money for what they are considering the ages etc.
Get a 182 and just pay a lot for insurance :) it'll be worth it mate you know it ;)

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Same boat as me mate, looking at getting one of these insurance is stupidly cheap for what they are. Just still undecided if to keep the 172.

What are part prices like and wear and tear issues?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I was looking into getting one after the 172 gave up on me, they really aren't nice cars, the interior is something I couldn't live with everyday, handling seemed to be utter garbage (standard mind) and the power wasn't impressive

However: when tuned you can make them into very quick capable cars, like has been said already, braces, arbs and coilovers should make them handle better, a set of wider wheels wouldn't go a miss either

Twingo RS Cup
I wanted a ek9 really or a LY 182 but im not ready to pay the insurance for one of them yet tbh and cant really think of anything thats as tuneable for the money etc. Can get insured on a 106 rallye for the same price as the starlet but id rather have the starlet tbh :s

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
on my car I had most handling items, all the following items new: coilovers, official toyota wishbones, whiteline anti lift kit, whiteline front anti roll bar, trd rear beam bushes, ultra racing rear anti roll bar, pri front wishbone bushes, trd engine mounts and a section engine dampener, so wear wasn't a factor and still the handling was nothing compared to my clio.

It had no diff so giving it the full bifta meant the car veered off, and mid corner full throttle was asking for trouble.

Suppose the danger made it a bit more exciting lol Although it was all set up as well, maybe the setting up wasn't good though.

Twingo RS Cup
Lol iv heard afew times they aint too good at handling, whats the engines like on the Glanza's? Just the same, also you know any good forums mate?

Nah iv tried them in the past Leeroy, always give me sh1t quotes so i give up with them

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Toyotagtturbo.com and uksc although that isn't the address, it comes up with a search fornuk starlet forums. Tgtt is a very good and helpful forum as well. I'm still on there and uksc.

Only difference I can remember off the top of my head is glanza's have a ct9b turbo which has an extra vain over the ct9a turbo on the gt to make up for the extra weight o the glanza. And glanza's have thinner con rods, a few folk say they are weaker than gt ones.

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
a touch cheaper, more econical just pottering around but floor it and it won't be, and I used v power only in mine. Also cheaper tax and small things like wheel bearings are cheap enough.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
They are as said, failry easy to see big gains.

I really really wouldnt want to be in one in the event of a crash, i hate to sound half empty but you will die.

I've been looking into these recently.

Seems to be a misconception that they handle *really* badly. Apparently with a few handling mods they are pretty good. Obviously not as good as a Clio RS but good enough.
Lots of tuning potential for not much wonga.
Glanza is the heaviest so not as quick, hence why people go for the older GTTs. Plus the Glanzas have weaker con rods which means they give in easier than an older Starlet. Apparently somewhere near 250BHP before they will go though. :)

yellow clio sport 172
ive had 3 ep82's and a glanza v,..one being 294bhp/300lbs ep82,i was actually looking to buy another ep82 the day i bought the 172,my mate picked me up to go see a gt in his 182 and as the gt was a wreck,i decided i wanted a change for abit and loved his 182 so got a 172.

anyway,...they are adictive and my 294bhp gt is the fastest car ive owned.

starlet turbo's have a quality ive never found in another car.

Aaron

Integra Type-R DC2
I can appreciate that they shift, but not sure id want to own one. Ugly as fook and, imo, they just scream council estate scally.