ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day coming up - Toyo Proxes T1-R

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Anyone running Toyo Proxes T1-R? What are your thoughts?

At the moment I have some budget crap on the fronts of my Cup (Event Tyres) and even at 20mph in the wet on a round about the car slides!

Are the Toyo Proxes T1-R any good in the wet?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
From memory when I had them on my old corsa they were not great, Been in a car with Yoko Parada Spec 2's and they were really quite good, I use Kumho Ecesta Sport (I think thats what they are called) and I rate them highly especially for the price :D

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
I run T1-R's on the ST and find them really good in the dry and wet,i push the car hard in both conditions and i would say they are pretty impressive.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Got T1R on the back of my 182 and can't fault them as yet - there are newer Toyo's then the R though I think - T1-S.

I've got budgets on the front of my car (they came on some wheels I bought), in the dry they are fine, but the wet they are alful...understeer city.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I think it was the "Newer" ones I was looking at, im just after something that is better in the Wet that my "Budget" fronts, The Contis on the back are good but worn now so going to replace all 4 tyres, PE2's would be nice but at nearly £100 a corner its a bit rich for me.

M2 Competition
Will be better than budgets in the wet, but much worse than others.

Michelin pe2's for a good all rounder would be my choice.

M

mini-valver

Got T1R on the back of my 182 and can't fault them as yet - there are newer Toyo's then the R though I think - T1-S.

I've got budgets on the front of my car (they came on some wheels I bought), in the dry they are fine, but the wet they are alful...understeer city.

The R are newer than the S.

I run them on mine, never been on track but they are great in the dry and I wouldn't say they were poor in the wet! Much better than budgets and Yoko's.

Trophy 182
Ive ordered the Yokohama parada spec 2's. They were £43 a corner and are highly rated. Cheaper than the T1R's

E30 318iS x2
I have TR-1's and when I did one they were ok in thw wet but they are abit slippy. Dry they're great.

lift number 1 @ btm
i've used toyo's for years and found them to be brilliant considering the cost!
they are also control tyre for a few different race series- including castle coomb saloons.

the only thing i would say is that you should never use a new set of tyres for a track day as they will overheat very quickly! that is why some places offer tyre shaving or buffing.

**oh, and have fun too**

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Whilst on the topic of tyres someone recommend me a tyre for road use (a good all round wet and dry tyre) for the 15's, i beleive its continental EcoConti's on it at the moment, seem to fire it into the bends without a "holly f**k moment"

Anyone recommend me a good tyre for cheap monies?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
How long should a set of tyres be "Run in" for before a Track Session then? (Im new to Track days this will be my 1st)

Focus RS Mk1
T1-R in the dry on track are shite.

Had them on my saxo (supercharged) for a track day, striahg tline grip was fine but pushing hard into corners i found them folding off the rim s far too easily.

it was that bad that id scrubbed the writing off the tyre walls compeletly.

very poor imo. great for a fast track like bedford autodrome as there are very little slow speed high load corners, but on a smaller track they were crap. found they blistered too quickly also.

Ive recently been out in a car with the michellin exalto's on, dead imprssed. will be gettin them for my next tyre purchase :)

They're dire in the wet tbh.

They were incredible for grip at brands yesterday in 'monsoon' conditions! Thats with my Konis at full stiff at he rear and half at the front!..

There was a lot of standing water, and I had full confidence in the car, it was planted considering the weather conditions..

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Its Brands im doing actually (The Indy Circuit) I may think about other tyres then, Maybe Yoko Prada Spec 2's or something

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
ive got toyo proxes 4 they are pretty uselles in the rain not as soft as yokos tho so last a little longer but they really dont like bein pushed to hard:dapprove:

M2 Competition
T1-R in the dry on track are s**te.

Had them on my saxo (supercharged) for a track day, striahg tline grip was fine but pushing hard into corners i found them folding off the rim s far too easily.

it was that bad that id scrubbed the writing off the tyre walls compeletly.

very poor imo. great for a fast track like bedford autodrome as there are very little slow speed high load corners, but on a smaller track they were crap. found they blistered too quickly also.

Ive recently been out in a car with the michellin exalto's on, dead imprssed. will be gettin them for my next tyre purchase :)

You need to put more air in then fella.

Pump them up, do a couple more laps, keep going until the scrubbing is down to about half of the sidewall.

Mk2 172
There road tyres. Will be average on track. They will have no edges left after either. Budget for the 888's if u can. Far far superior!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
The 888's dont come in a 45 profile though from what I have seen... Need 195/45/16s or 205/45/16s

Dave did you not manage to get your Yokos then?

No your right, buy some cheap 15" rims and get the 195/50 15's.. Same rolling radius roughtly as the 16" rims with a 45 profile tyre..

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
TBH im not going to get into buying spare set of rims just yet . this is the 1st track day im doing so have no idea if Ill get the bug or not and want to do more...

plus i need new front tyres on the standard rims as they are plain nasty in the wet and im going to end up killing myself, brand new tyres but they are the worst i have ever driven on, worse than Falkens!

Trophy 182
The 888's dont come in a 45 profile though from what I have seen... Need 195/45/16s or 205/45/16s

Dave did you not manage to get your Yokos then?

Nope I got a full refund in the end as they said they were on a 3 month back order.

The only to find out that they are re advertising the tyres on their website at £75 a corner. I reckon they had got the price wrong and realised that Id made an order and got me to retract it.

I think im gonna get the Michellin PE's again. I was driving in the rain the other night when it was really heavy and the car did not slide or spin at all and I was pushing the car.

Im just gonna buy 2 at a time and use the current tyres for the track day.