ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day Oil Grade?

172 Cup
Hi,

I know the debate has been had several times - but I was still hoping to ask the question for my specific situation.

I only use my Clio 172 Cup on Track Days over the Summer and cover <2000 miles in it.

The engine has covered 80k, and from what I can tell it has had a hard life!

Anyway, I was wondering if there could be a better option then the already highly recommended 5w-40 for my scenario?

I'm not looking for performance gains, just the best grade to protect my engine at hot temperatures and under extreme performance.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would just use a very good quality "Ester based" fully synthetic 5w-40.

millers CFS
titan pro race S
Gulf competition

And so on:D

172 Cup
thanks for the reply, but why wouldn't something like 20W-50 be better for an extreme example? Isn't that rated for -10 to +50 degrees?

Why would I need the '5w' provision as I'll never be starting my car at below 0 degrees?

I'm just thinking along the lines of the oil being a jack of all trades and not just focused on high temps and performance?

Why wouldn't 10W-50 be a good shout for example - would the Clio engine not be so tolerant with it?

Sorry for being a complete noob!

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
We went for a 10w60 in the racecar. Either 5 or 10 is fine for the cold range. a 5w50 or 10w50 is pretty ideal for track days

20w50 is more often than not, a mineral oil grade, generally not very suitable to modern engines and degrading quite fast.

172 Cup
always ran my 300+hp clio turbos and imprezas on 10/60 fully for every track day Millers or Motul

Haha 300+hp is a little way off my Clio for now.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to go with 10W-50 - hopefully my car with thank me later !
Cheers