ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day Tyre Advice

J

jonnyboyjakes

Can anyone help please,
I`ve a clio 197 cup, doing my first track day in this car at Aintree in two weeks. I ran a clio 172 cup on r888`s which were brilliant. Problem is I don`t wanna spend £600 on 4 tyres.
That`s were any advice through experience on track would be appreciated.
Cheers in advance, Jon

WRX
000s of threads like this and they all end the same.
Each to their own!
This could end up 10 pages long and no definitive answer.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Similar situation here. 888s or A048r's seem the best choice, but come at a price. A Federal 595RSR is a fair bit cheaper and also seems to get good review. Might be worth a try?

WRX
Why don't you just use the tyres on your car?
I did 5 trackdays in my 197cup & never had a problem.
You can have more fun with less grip, trust me :D

Have to agree, from what I've seen, dedicated track day tyres just don't seem worthwhile.
Good road tyres seem to last longer and offer almost as much grip.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Federal rsrs if you don't want to spend big money. And they are pretty awesome anyways just without r888 tax.

J

jonnyboyjakes

Thanks everyone, I`ve found some rsrs for £111 each from camskill, Im gonna try them. Let you know what they`re like if anyone`s interested.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like the rsrs on mine, prob not as good as 888 but I use them daily aswell. Good on track btw

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
You serious?

That was too Madgit btw quote didn't work on my phone!

BMW E34 540i
I like the rsrs on mine, prob not as good as 888 but I use them daily aswell. Good on track btw

How do you find them in everyday use ? I was thinking to get them once Conti Sport Contacts 3 that Clio came on wear off. Do they wear significantly quicker than normal tyres ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
How do you find them in everyday use ? I was thinking to get them once Conti Sport Contacts 3 that Clio came on wear off. Do they wear significantly quicker than normal tyres ?

To be honest not long had them on. They seem to be fine though and with the relativly limited milage i do they should last a while

WRX
Jamie : yes I am serious. If I had a dedicated track car then I would probably have 888s or the like. But for the average person, like me doing trackdays in my daily road car, IMHO it just isn't worth the trouble. From the days I have done, with the greatest respect to people running 888s/48s etc, they have hardly handled any better than my road car. I'm not trying to be big headed so I apologise if it comes over that way, I am just saying that nobody has showed me, from watching their cars' performance to make me buy a spare set of wheels/tyres to use on circuit. Just to also say to those that do, I'm not knocking you, it's your money and your choice.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I found it night and day going from road to track tyres.

Just the speed you could carry through the corners alone!

Also imo I don't really see a hassle in having a second set of wheels for track days, 10 mins of the day and guarantees you have legal rubber to get home on.

But like you say personal preference..

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I have some tarmac rally tyres that need using up no idea what they are like but you're welcome to try them out, might take 888's as well though :)

E46 M3
See if you can be the one to change my view at Llandow then matey!
If you do I'll make it known.

I'll be there with my 888's too. I took someone from the forum out at Anglesey who had only ever used road tyres. Was half a lap before he was convinced he needed some track tyres.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
i found the rsr's to be much better than my v12's. Last time i was at Oulton a mate whos got an ep3, i was a tad quicker but not really noticable. This time was more so. He drove it afterwards and was very impressed with the brakes and grip level.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I'll be there with my 888's too. I took someone from the forum out at Anglesey who had only ever used road tyres. Was half a lap before he was convinced he needed some track tyres.

This is where I disagree.
Trackday is not a race never has been.
The supper sticky tyres become boring or they did to me mainly as you don't need any ability to be quick.
I have more fun controlling the car on the limit on road tyres.
Rsrs are not comparable with 888 as different price point fz201s will destroy 888.
Another big factor is how many events you do, some do one or a couple others are into double figures.

WRX
I better buy some good ones now pmsl. These Maxxis didn't impress too much, can feel the road well and inspires confidence to keep foot in while on full lock but felt bit slower than normal on my favourite island nearby. Might have to chuck them on the back if change in psi makes no difference.