ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day Wheels & Tyres

Clio 172 2003
Hi
I am relatively new to track days with my 172 and have a couple of questions regarding tyres and wheels sizes as I've seen Clios running all sorts!
I'm looking at keeping a set of front wheels for track days only, mainly summer so hopefully dry, and wondered what anyone would recommend regarding wheel size, mine runs 16's at present, and tyres?
I've not had the car long at it came with 2 x 205's and 2 x 195's so I'm totally baffled!
Any advice thankfully received.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Tyre sizes should ideally be the same front and rear on the Clios ! Very odd.

Also, I wouldn't run a set of track tyres up front and 'normal' tyres on the rear. Go for a full set of 4 all round, even if they're 'normal' tyres.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's a 172, I think the correct size was 195/45/16 out the factory but 205s were fitted to 182s.

Whichever is cheapest, buy them.

Unless you're a trained race driver you'll never notice the difference !

Tyre sizes should ideally be the same front and rear on the Clios ! Very odd.

Also, I wouldn't run a set of track tyres up front and 'normal' tyres on the rear. Go for a full set of 4 all round, even if they're 'normal' tyres.

iv run my fastest lap time with track tyres on front and road tyres on rear at llandow circuit. i agree its not advisable as you get a loose rear but in fwd loose is fast lol

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Hi
I am relatively new to track days with my 172 and have a couple of questions regarding tyres and wheels sizes as I've seen Clios running all sorts!
I'm looking at keeping a set of front wheels for track days only, mainly summer so hopefully dry, and wondered what anyone would recommend regarding wheel size, mine runs 16's at present, and tyres?
I've not had the car long at it came with 2 x 205's and 2 x 195's so I'm totally baffled!
Any advice thankfully received.

Buy yourself a set of 15 inch wheels-

Speedline 2118 or team dynamics 1.2 -& keep them for track- 15 inch tyres are cheaper.
S

Subaru Impreza P1
As your a track novice (as I am) and won`t really notice the differance, I would buy a set of 15" Clio standard alloys (around £100), then purchase a set of Toyo R1Rs 195/50/15 around £220.00 from Tyretraders.com

I`v just done my first track day at Cadwell and used the above set up and had a fantastic day. No problems with handling or grip. In fact I was quite surprised how good they where.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
As above i'd get a cheap set of 15" wheels if purely for track use as tyres are a lot cheaper, also preferred the handling on the smaller alloys

Also try to get a matching set of tyres on your current 16 inch tyres (they came with 195/45), not vital but bit odd

You may drop on a second hand set on here in the marketplace with track tyres on ready to fit straight on

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Bump on this old thread..
After all.. People running 195 50 tyres for trackdays, is this size better handling wise versus thet 205 45 16 let's say?
Or is it purely a cost of tyres thing?
Cup racers run the 15's but are they for cost saving or does that size really performs better?
What I want to know is the difference in performance. Some guy I know swears that 15's handle better.
I want to hear more opopinions on this from those who tried both sizes on track.
Thx!