ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track days

Seriously considering doing a track day over the summer but im not really sure exactly what is involved. Have any of you guys taken your 172 on track and how much did it cost you altogether? I really want to do it but im not in a position to replace a full set of tyres and brakes afterwards.

How did your 172s fare and did you kill a set of tyres, brakes etc??

Any input would be appreciated, cheers

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I did 22,000 miles and 2 track days on my original tyres, also only changed my brakes after 28,000 miles and 2 track days, so its not that rough on the car at all.

If you want to do a trackday book the Renault one at Bedford, its a great price for what you get, very safe as well.

Renault Laguna Coupe

A track day wont be too hard on your tyres, and your brakes will hardly notice it. If its an airfield day your tyres will suffer a bit more as the surface tends to be concrete. If you want to get into track days then Bedford is a good start as Jas says.

You might also want to join this club and get together with a few other members for events at other venues which happen from time to time. A good start to trackdays is a driving academy day, which will teach you all you need to know about driving fast and trackdays in particular. Theyre cheap at around £100 for the day, a few of us did one last year and it was a hoot. Details at: http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track_day_2003_calendar.htmhttp://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/track_day_2003_calendar.htm

My only recommendation is that you have the oil changed after you finish your day at the track as these days put more pressure on your engine and that means more pressure on the oil (it breaks down quicker).

Also things to remember are :-

1. when you come in off the track, dont apply your hand brake for a few minutes or leave your foot on the brake as this can cause warping of the discs.

2. Ensure the track day doesnt invalidate your warranty in any way.

3. Take it easy, dont think your Michael Schumacher and go full out on lap 1!

4. Enjoy!

Tony

Ooooops should point out that track day insurance is a MUST!

Its not nice paying for your car whilst you dont have it any longer due to a misinterpretation of a corner.....

Tony

996 Carrera

Im thinking of doing the driver academy at Heyford on Saturday July 19th.

Should be nice and dry - touch wood.

id seen the clio sport day at bedford £150 for the day not bad,especially if you take a mate and split the cost of £55 extra for another driver only £102.5 each! bargain,,and you can get your m8 to shell out for half the petrol!

think im going to put my name down