ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track engine possibilities

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Gents debating what route to go down.

I want to keep the engine standard ish but thinking of the following options. Just need some advice as to if its worth it or not.

Currently I have replaced
Main bearings
Big end bearings
Full gasket set
Sump
Water pump
Heads been ported

But now thinking if its worth installing 197 cams and RS ported inlets to match.

I also need to know can I fit RS inlets to 172 engine?

TIA

PH2 172
Gents debating what route to go down.

I want to keep the engine standard ish but thinking of the following options. Just need some advice as to if its worth it or not.

Currently I have replaced
Main bearings
Big end bearings
Full gasket set
Sump
Water pump
Heads been ported

But now thinking if its worth installing 197 cams and RS ported inlets to match.

I also need to know can I fit RS inlets to 172 engine?

TIA

I would have put ARP end bolts & supertech valves at the top of my shopping list.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Done ARP blots mate forgot to mention that. But with the valves you aren't gonna get much from that surely? Maybe a bit of reliability which I'll look into further. Was thinking of some cams??

PH2 172
Done ARP blots mate forgot to mention that. But with the valves you aren't gonna get much from that surely? Maybe a bit of reliability which I'll look into further. Was thinking of some cams??

The OE valves are friction welded and the head has been known to part company with the stem when used at high RPM.

Attachments

• friction welded valve.png
    friction welded valve.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 62

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
H
The OE valves are friction welded and the head has been known to part company with the stem when used at high RPM.
thanks alot for the info mate. I heard their 2 peice valves. But that has made me think a bit!

PH2 172
H
thanks alot for the info mate. I heard their 2 peice valves. But that has made me think a bit!

Dropping a valve is never pretty.

Did you not replace the piston rings?

Attachments

• dropped valve.jpg
    dropped valve.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 69
  • dropped valve 2.jpg
    dropped valve 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 59

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you're having the engine apart, replace the valves as a priority.

It'd be sods law that first time out the thing drops a valve and destroys all your hard work.

182 Turbo
Valves arent that big of a deal, out of all the clios that get regularly abused on track is still a minute percent that fail by snapping a valve, and even then most of the time its a mis-shift and mechanical over rev, the super tech valves can fail under the same circumstances too, they arent indestructable, and at the price they are you could have a lowish mile engine as a replacement.

If you are keeping the stock rev limiter which there would be no sense not to unless you were going itbs and cams then i wouldnt bother going supertech valves