ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track focused DCi?

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any track focused DCis on here at all, here is a 1.4 litre diesel AX running a 9:55 on the ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjHjm0O5M

My DCi is my daily drive but I am tempted to do a few suspension bits here and there and might do a track day, the car seems fairly nippy and has lots of low down torque :)

Just wondering if there were any track DCis on here at all?

Many.
Already had this thread open lol.

Yeah as Ryan said, I found the gearing too short for track really, but then its not designed for it.

Mine has 172 wide track (and thus sport kit), decent shocks and springs, track tyres, decent setup and a RARB and I have a brilliant time, and hussle a lot of cars in the corners, just get destroyed on the straights.

I am now converting it to 1.9 DCi and 6speed box however.

clio dci , ren8
The 65 bh is to gutless for track & I would say the 80 bh is to high geared ,100 should be good on track as the gearing & power are allot better .

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
It's all about what you expect from it really, you don't have to have a lot of power to have fun. It's just frustrating when you learn how to drive, shake off people in the bends, only to be overtaken in the straights....

let's face it, they are never designed to track so to have a track capable car find yourself a cheap 172 and use that instead

Thanks guys, just thought I would ask considering the fact that Le Mans is usually won by a diesel car and Top Gear did well with their diesel BMW lol

I think I might just look at upgrading a few suspension bits on mine as the car has done almost 120k miles, just wondering if its worth going further with it, I will probably just stick with springs and dampers.

Many.
I'd say do mods that you want for a road car, and just use it on track if you like. Lots of people have fun in standard cars.

Couple of years ago, a mate had a 1.2 Corsa that he used on track all the time, because of his huge b****cks and learning how to drive a slow car, fast, he was passing quite a few cars he shouldn't have.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Remap and if 65 a 80 intercooler would be the best power mod, then just leave it as that

I'd say do mods that you want for a road car, and just use it on track if you like. Lots of people have fun in standard cars.

Couple of years ago, a mate had a 1.2 Corsa that he used on track all the time, because of his huge b****cks and learning how to drive a slow car, fast, he was passing quite a few cars he shouldn't have.

Indeed, I guess its a bit like that AX video, its a slow car normally but the main upgrade is the driver, I do know that suspension setup is usually more important than all out power anyway, as Lotus says, "simplify and add lightness".

Inferno 182 & Saxo

I quite like driving an underpowered car and trying to get the most out of it knowing that it hasnt really got the oomph to get you into trouble.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Already had this thread open lol.

Yeah as Ryan said, I found the gearing too short for track really, but then its not designed for it.

Mine has 172 wide track (and thus sport kit), decent shocks and springs, track tyres, decent setup and a RARB and I have a brilliant time, and hussle a lot of cars in the corners, just get destroyed on the straights.

I am now converting it to 1.9 DCi and 6speed box however.

My DCI had a VMAX of 125-130mph or so. Can't see you being able to hit more than 110 on any UK track anyway, I only hit 120 on the Foxhole at Nurburgring and that's a half mile down a steep hill.

Also not sure what you'd be expecting regarding straight line speed when you only have 60-100hp....

You don't buy a DCI to be a track weapon anyway. They're better than 1.2s and are a cheap car to run generally. Mine did 30mpg round 2 consecutive laps of the Ring. Never seen it lower than that.

Mine is the 80bhp model - specifically bought as I wanted the better fuel economy it offers over the 65 and 100, plus having the better injectors and an OEM intercooler - well making it easier to change to a larger intercooler as all of the pipework is there.

Throttle response has been improved by removing the intake snorkel from the airbox which makes it really good around corners, although I can tell it might need some better suspension/replacing the old suspension.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Cool car.

I used to have a DCI80 I bought in 2004. One of my favourite cars, almost free running costs as far as cars go and perfectly usable performance for the road.

I'd question whether you want it to be track focused, or whether you just want to do some track days with it?

A bloke from CS some time ago (edde) had a DCI65 that he did track days all the time in. It was standard apart from DS2500 pads and cut slicks on another set of wheels which he put in the boot before going to a track day.

If you mean track focused by replacing suspension/stripping interior etc then fair enough, personally I just think the DCI is too nice a road car to start stripping it. It's never going to be rapid in a straight line and if you want that just buy a 172 (I'm going to be selling mine for under a grand this month).

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I had my old mapped 100 round knockhill and it was passing all the saxo vts, 106gti and red top corsas lol!!

Gearing doesn't matter when your concentrating on carrying max chat round all the bends haha i just went from 3rd to 4th all day!

Although the dci has little power and i enjoy smashing a slow car round a track quickly it wasn't as enjoyable as a low power petrol my Twingo GT was awesome on the track would like to have tried my Gordini out but didn't have it long enough

Many.
My DCI had a VMAX of 125-130mph or so. Can't see you being able to hit more than 110 on any UK track anyway, I only hit 120 on the Foxhole at Nurburgring and that's a half mile down a steep hill.

Also not sure what you'd be expecting regarding straight line speed when you only have 60-100hp....

You don't buy a DCI to be a track weapon anyway. They're better than 1.2s and are a cheap car to run generally. Mine did 30mpg round 2 consecutive laps of the Ring. Never seen it lower than that.

When I say gearing is too short, I was meaning I was often requiring a lower gear for corner entry/apex, and then needing to go for the next gear before exiting the corner. You're smashing through the gears and getting into 5th pretty early and being pretty slow.

I certainly didn't expect it to be fast, I had driven it on the road! lol

I never bought mine to be a track car, it is my daily, I've taken loads of cars on track and its a laugh, in whatever you are. I perhaps think you took my post the wrong way.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I probably did, I still don't know what you mean about the gears though, I don't think I had one situation where I required 2nd. Spent the entire time between 3rd and 4th with occasionally getting into 5th.

Slight thread revival on this one, my DCi 80 is now on around 135k miles, it has developed a slight fault with an injector (I believe but still diagnosing as it drives perfectly just a slightly lumpy idle sometimes), anyway, coming back to my initial question and with a slight change in circumstances I am thinking of making my car slightly more track focused to perhaps do a few track days with it - overall go for an 'OEM+' upgrade on a few things. The car is currently averaging 79mpg although has been as high as 86mpg - there isn't really any other small hatchback that can match it on MPG and general spec.

The car had a snapped rear spring at the last MOT plus needed a new rubber top mount at the front, other than that its advisory free so a good base body to go for. Its my daily drive and I do quite a few miles a week in it on the motorway so wouldn't want coilovers so thinking perhaps some decent springs and dampers - might make sense to replace all the suspension as I am pretty sure its all original.

I have the 'privilege' model, but it doesn't have climate control, leather seats or cruise control, it does however have fairly good supportive seat, it does have air con but thats staying, it also has some 15" wheels currently with some Toyo tyres.

Just looking for a few fun things to add and upgrade on the car, thinking air filter, backbox and springs + dampers, I could look at getting a remap done but wanting to keep the spend low and the stock engine has good power. Will be looking to sort out the injector issue first, might just be a sensor somewhere though, need to run more diagnostics first though.

What does everyone think about this?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Rs wide track is a good start altho a bit of hastle I want to do mine just not had the time, as a compromise in running twingo gt springs and dampers all round it sits lower, a lot less roll and still nice and comfortable, it dialed out a bit of the tendancy to understeer and made the rear end a but more lively, its strictly a road car for me tho.

Michelin PS 3 tyres made the biggest difference for me

Would the Twingo GT springs be ok for the heavier DCI engine? I think the DCI is slightly lighter than the renault sports.