ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Rod End

got the passenger side off and fitted a new one, came to the drivers side and i've undone the 21mm nut but the track rod end just wont budge. any other way other than a bit of heat?

CursedTitanium 182FF
Massive pair of mole grips on the arm, a big 21mm spanner & some heat should do it.

got no access to some heat but tried mole grips and 21mm spanner. Got it soaking in some wd40 will give it another crack tomorrow

Cant seem to find it, but they do two types, one with a built in spark igniter.

Prob get one from a plumbers shop or something.

Try heating up the bolt then squirting wd40 on it then reheating, try this a few times, normally works a treat if its mega seized

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Grinder down one edge to just break thru if heat won't budge it but watch you don't go too far or else you'll buzz the thread and need an inner tie rod to.

dan's cast offs.
you could always change the rod as well and save yourself buying a blow torch and a lot of swearing and grunting;)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Just wind the nut onto the end a bit grab some wood and a hammer, hold the wood against the nut and bash the crap out of it till it jolts loose then remove nut and pop the rod out. Never fails, been doing it that way for last 10 years.

Last edited:
Just wind the nut onto the end a bit grab some wood and a hammer, hold the wood against the nut and bash the crap out of it till it jolts loose then remove nut and pop the rod out. Never fails, been doing it that way for last 10 years.

cheers i'll give this a try but first i might need a new lump hammer :eek:

2wez6dl.jpg

MicKPM i don't trust myself with a grinder not to take the inner tie rod out as well.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Lol yeah I think you might bud. Also since you don't need to reuse the track rod, if you want you can bypass the wood and nut and bash the track rod directly with the hammer as it won't matter if you knacker the threads. When reusing always use nut and wood.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, the hammer failed through rot I would imagine mate, was just saying if you are still struggling after all this time, replace both.

oh yeah the hammer was old so yeah i'd say rot was the case, i've not had chance yet to get some heat on it probably wont be able to until next week now