ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track setup to solve scrubbing on 172 cup using b14 coilovers

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
hi guys,

Did my first day day in my 172 cup today at rockinham, great fun however I suffered a large amount of scrubbing on many of the sharper corners. My car is a 172 cup running on standard Turini alloys with 195 45 16 tyres, the suspension is billstein b14. Looking on the forum I get a feeling this might be common on lowered 172 cup cars.

Does anyone know how to combat this, some ideas I found online are, running smaller 15" wheels instead of 16". Adding spacers. Increasing the height of the suspension. I don't know the best course of action so any advise would be appreciated ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Where's the scrubbing, on the front?

And either get smaller wheels, or raise the suspension. I had b14's and from memory they don't go too low, just nice.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Yes I did, may just remove the wheel liner also.. I feel I need to bend it back further??.. just had yoko 195/50/16 fitted to make the situation worse.. I am going to increase the ride height

Attachments

• IMG_5871.JPG
    IMG_5871.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 139

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Why?

Most go for

195/45/16, 205/45/16
195/50/15, 205/50/15

The higher profile on the ones you have won't be helping imo

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
I reckon so and a bit more hammering, do you know what the standard ride height is measurement wise on the Clio cup 172 with Turinis ? If so, how is this being measured so I can determine how low she currently sits

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
We worked out the current ride height lowered must be 45ml low, this must be partly where the problem lies.. going to bash the bumper bracket even more tomorrow

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Can the springs be changed ?
Yes but only by about 50lbs either way, otherwise the dampers need revalving to suit. From memory b14 fronts are about 330lb up front and you need about 450+ ideally for all out track car.

You also need to stiffen the rear up to suit, as on a fwd car, the rear controls the front.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Afraid not mate. You'd need to find out the internal diameter of the fronts and order some stiffer springs from the likes of Faulkner springs.

For the rears you'd have to get custom made springs, or fanny about with short springs and a reduction of damper travel to stop them dislocating.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
The best way forward is to adjust the height and test it out..if this doesn't work replace the whole suspension which isn't going to be cheap.. does anyone know somewhere that sells the adjustment spanner for bilstein?

You'd be better selling the Bilsteins and purchasing something like BC racing coilovers, instead of buying new springs and having them revalved. Second hand billes go for good money, so you wouldn't lose to much.