ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track spec 197

Clio 197 BMW Msport
I've been on this forum for years when I first had a FF182 and later a 182 Trophy. I've finally got myself back into Clio ownership but this time with a 197. I haven't picked the car up yet but have paid the deposit today.
Screen%20shot%202016-08-19%20at%2022.19.54_zpsvqkmf0id.png

My intentions are only to use it on track days and sprints so wanted to find a car with some upgrades already made to it. This one has KW 2-way Clubsports, Performance Friction 330mm brake upgrade with PF pads, KTR exhaust system, sprint spoiler and CF rear diffusor so is a great foundation for what I need. I have also specced to have a Gripper plate diff fitted and a swap from the Recaro seats for some KTR Pro light bucket seats. I'm also thinking of upgrading the clutch and flywheel while the gearbox work is being carried out.

Looking forward to picking it up soon.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Thanks mate. It's been a while since I've been in the Renault scene so I'll have loads of questions along the way! I would like to fit a set of throttle bodies to it at some point, not sure if anyone does a kit at the moment. I've also seen some people fit ph2 v6 air boxes which looks like a decent mod. Any recommendations welcome.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Thanks mate. It's been a while since I've been in the Renault scene so I'll have loads of questions along the way! I would like to fit a set of throttle bodies to it at some point, not sure if anyone does a kit at the moment. I've also seen some people fit ph2 v6 air boxes which looks like a decent mod. Any recommendations welcome.
ITB's? See if Jenvey do! Maybe KTR. I'm sure someone will know tho!

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Yes mate ITB's. I emailed KTR and apparently they will be releasing a new kit including, cams and ECU in the Autosport show 2017. The V6 airbox and R3 induction system look like quite good options.

I think before I go chasing more power I'll aim to remove some weight out of it. It looks like I'll be able to shed some weight pretty easily out of it.

Thanks mate, yeah I've always liked the racing blue.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why do you want a gripper diff over a quaife?

These are meant to be a right pain in the Arse to remove the gearbox... And the gripper needs annual services as far as I know.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
A plate differential is far superior to an ATB diff mate. The work is being carried out for me prior to collection. I have run trick gearboxes including dog boxes, sequential etc in the past with plate diffs and Gripper are extremely good. I don't mind servicing a gearbox and it wont need it that frequently. I tend to change gearbox oil after every other event generally.

I may go for one of those R3 air boxes initially then until there are ITB kits available.

Have any of you guys had any experience of using the CAE gear shifter? Are they worth the investment? I have never driven a 197 so I don't know how positive the gear change is. I've just sold a car with a Sadev Sequential so want something that gives me confidence.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
A plate differential is far superior to an ATB diff mate. The work is being carried out for me prior to collection. I have run trick gearboxes including dog boxes, sequential etc in the past with plate diffs and Gripper are extremely good. I don't mind servicing a gearbox and it wont need it that frequently. I tend to change gearbox oil after every other event generally.

I may go for one of those R3 air boxes initially then until there are ITB kits available.

Have any of you guys had any experience of using the CAE gear shifter? Are they worth the investment? I have never driven a 197 so I don't know how positive the gear change is. I've just sold a car with a Sadev Sequential so want something that gives me confidence.

Fair enough, sequential boxes sound like a lot of fun.

@Pacman. Has a cae shifter but I'm not sure if he's had any experience with it yet.

The throw on these boxes is very short as is though.

Is there any reason why you're wanting to jump straight into a fairly modified 197 without seeing how capable a standard one is on track?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Because no matter how capable they may be on track, They are still a Flawed road biased car.

CAE are nice and shiny, I have one in the Megane, Brutal truth, Biggest waste of money I'm probably ever likely to spend on car parts....

RB197
When David (Ktec) came to pick my 250 up we were talking about this car. It is properly well spec'd and set up! For the price they had it up for you've got yourself a right bargain imo.

As stated above though I can't see why people spend so much money on them CAE shifters. Just my opinion of course but I'd be putting my money into some decent tyres or maybe even towards a meg conversion?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Fair enough, sequential boxes sound like a lot of fun.

@Pacman. Has a cae shifter but I'm not sure if he's had any experience with it yet.

The throw on these boxes is very short as is though.

Is there any reason why you're wanting to jump straight into a fairly modified 197 without seeing how capable a standard one is on track?

I know the 197 is supposed to be pretty good in standard form on track and certainly a step up in terms of the suspension engineering from the 182. My previous car was set up purely for motorsport so want to fit some uprated parts to it first.

The sequential gearbox was amazing mate. Actually the new owner picked it up today funny enough, selling it has almost completely covered the cost of the new car lol.

When David (Ktec) came to pick my 250 up we were talking about this car. It is properly well spec'd and set up! For the price they had it up for you've got yourself a right bargain imo.

As stated above though I can't see why people spend so much money on them CAE shifters. Just my opinion of course but I'd be putting my money into some decent tyres or maybe even towards a meg conversion?

Thanks for the info on the CAE shifter, I suspected as much. They look ace but I think I'll see what it's like first before going ahead and buying one. When I pick this up I'll see if they have one fitted to something else to perhaps try one out. Knowing me I'll end up fitting a Sadev R3 gearbox to it at some point anyway! :wink: lol.

What tyres are you guys running on track? I had a set of Toyo R888R on the last car and they were OK.

The fact this car has had a lot of high specced parts fitted to it already has saved me a lot of time and money. Just looking forward now to picking it up.

RB197
I know the 197 is supposed to be pretty good in standard form on track and certainly a step up in terms of the suspension engineering from the 182. My previous car was set up purely for motorsport so want to fit some uprated parts to it first.

The sequential gearbox was amazing mate. Actually the new owner picked it up today funny enough, selling it has almost completely covered the cost of the new car lol.

Thanks for the info on the CAE shifter, I suspected as much. They look ace but I think I'll see what it's like first before going ahead and buying one. When I pick this up I'll see if they have one fitted to something else to perhaps try one out. Knowing me I'll end up fitting a Sadev R3 gearbox to it at some point anyway! :wink: lol.

What tyres are you guys running on track? I had a set of Toyo R888R on the last car and they were OK.

The fact this car has had a lot of high specced parts fitted to it already has saved me a lot of time and money. Just looking forward now to picking it up.
I sold the 250 back to ktec in June, currently driving a meg mk2 1.5dci. Trying to save for a house and was never going to happen if I kept the 250 lol!

I ran RSR's and were ok. I suppose you get what you pay for? I've heard nothing but good things about the DZ03G tyres though. I'd definitely pay the money for them!

Clio 197 BMW Msport
I almost part exchanged my old trophy before selling it for a Megane 250 cup. What a car! It felt slow, it certainly wasn't lol, its just because its so well set up and you don't realise you're covering the ground so quickly.

Some footage of the old 106 with the sequential gearbox. Footage taken from a non competitive day hence the 'no helmet policy'.

True I used to run Dunlop CR311's on a rally car, very expensive but amazing. I've heard the DZ03G are good, The Toyo's are good and not badly priced but maybe I'll go with the Dunlop's this time.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
haha, don't tempt me! I don't need any encouragement.
What wheels are these? They look similar to Laguna ones.
7025644.jpg

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Oh cool thanks mate. I might look for a spare set of track wheels. Any recommendations? Looking for something light.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Finally picked the car up from KTR. Really happy with it too.

616A47EB-F4B5-4E47-9EB6-F4D8CD4CF0E8_zpsfixf8ry3.jpg

33F167EF-DDFD-4BAE-9EF5-A7773071EC1F_zpsili3jzfo.jpg

I picked up a KTR induction kit which I'm planning on fitting over the weekend. I'm also going to remove the back seats and a few other bits to get rid of some of the weight.

Can anyone give me some advice on the RS tuner?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The ktr ik does sound good.

Rear seats are a piece of piss to remove.

The car looks ace. The speedlines need doing white though

Swap me your recaros. It's a shame to put those into storage.

Can't help with the rstuner sorry.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Yeah I've heard some footage. The KTR exhaust system sounds really good too, love the burble on it. Ha if I did them white they would be black in no time at all after a hard track day.

I bought all the new base and side mounts while I was down there so just need to find a tidy set of bucket seats for it before I decide to move the Recaros on.

Planning on removing the following:
  • Recaros for circa 8kg bucket seats
  • Safety belts and buckles
  • Rear seats
  • Isofix bar
  • speakers
  • cd player
  • fog lights
There should be a decent weight saving there without making the car look too stripped.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Proper job then!

Just saw your other thread about cutting the rear bumper for a tow point.

Fair play to you :smiley:

My cloth recaros are lighter than your leather ones :eek:

Did you say you were doing Anglesey or oulton towards the end of the year? I'd like to see what a decent suspension set up is capable of

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Just swapped the steering wheel out for a OMP suede one with horn switch. I've fitted the OMP boss from KTR along with the air bag resistors and it works a treat with no air bag lights present however I cant get the horn to work on the switch. Does anyone know which cable is for the horn?

Clio 197 BMW Msport
2024E759-FCD9-420B-B318-5511BF29A1E5_zpsc1y8hh9p.jpg

Starting the strip down tomorrow.

Just ordered a set of Dunlop DZ03G tyres. Quite interested in finding out how they compare to the Toyo R888R tyres aI had fitted previously. Updates coming tomorrow

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Today I've attacked the weight issue and stripped out the rear interior, seat belts, Isofix bar, seats, speakers, CD player and steering wheel.
C739DF24-8083-4A5E-A5D6-2E4EC56E9183_zpsa0xydbml.jpg

429431FB-1F9B-43BA-8771-9C62B4F434A8_zpsrc5inwtt.jpg

35E42368-669C-437C-8562-6248561828B7_zpspiwzzyiw.jpg

00AE02C5-0374-4292-8988-4E675F5F68B3_zpsqhrbbdy5.jpg

7394557C-AA4A-4957-AF9E-FC190EE4537F_zpssfjdztbo.jpg

Also fitted the KTR induction. There's definitely more drama with the new induction noise lol.
9A1E294D-FD6C-4757-A582-2585A237B1DC_zpsrnjyuzej.jpg

I should have the new Dunlop tyres delivered in the week and will be ordering a harness bar and new seats.

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Proper job! I can't wait to see this out and about.

Please don't store those recaros! They're ace!
Thanks mate

Those seats are to die for! How much weight do you think you've lost?
Not as much as I would like. I'd like to see if I can lose circa 100kg from it without making it look untidy and too stripped.
I believe from searches that the Recaros are around 30-35kg each and will be replacing them with seats around 7-8kg each (plus the new mounts etc). Also planning on removing the fog lights and rear wiper mech.

It definitely has a lot more noise inside now that the sound deadening in the boot has gone lol. I definitely need to get it mapped now, it has that typical low RPM flat spot which is annoying.

I may go for a pair of the carbon fibre door cards to try and reduce the weight further. Getting this car to under 1100kg would be good. My last 106 was around 700kg.