ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track tyres 205/45 x 16

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
I was up at Autosport 2006, so thought that I would take the opportunity to review tyres suitable for the Clio Trophy – 205/45x16 (diameter approx 590 mm) – which are suitable for hillclimbs and sprints and are on the MSA Blue Book lists 1.a or 1.b. Please note that I have tried to avoid expressing any opinions (apart for the Hankook RS2), just recording the information that I obtained on the stands.

List 1.a; I wanted to clear up why the Yokohama Parada Spec 2 is not on either list. Their competitions manager described it as a ‘tuner’ tyre and as such they were not interested in getting it onto the listing. He recommended the A539 as being preferable for track use.
Amazingly the Bridgestone RE070 (which I believe is a ‘Cup’ type tyre) is listed as 1.a; they were not at the show and I believe that it only comes in 17”.

List 1.b Tyres.

Yokohama A048-R. No plans to do 205/45x16. Nearest sizes are 195/50x16 (600mm) or 195/55x15 (593 mm) or 205/50x15 (584 mm). Recommended compound is medium.

Avon. ZZR. 205/50 x 15. Compound not specified

Kumho Ecsta V70A. 205/45x16. (195/55x15 & 205/50x15 also available). Recommended compounds. Front K60F – medium. Rear K20F – soft.
Starting pressures; F – 26-27 & R 24-25. Handy tip is to run the rears on the front for 10 or 15 miles to scrub off the release gel and mould bobbles.

Hankook Ventus RSS – Z211. Nearest size 205/50x15. Compound Medium – C50.

Hankook Ventus RS2 – Z212. 205/45x16. This has a normal road compound (hard) but with a track tyre type construction. Apparently used in France in some category of Clio racing and also for various Porsches. Claim that it will grip from 40C and yet has the wear characteristics of a road tyre. In theory sounds to be the perfect trackday tyre where lots of laps are intended, but my cynical nature reckons that it must be too hard for ultimate times.

Toyo R888. No plans to do 205/45x16. Some query as to whether the sidewalls are stiff enough for Clio type applications – probably propaganda from another company.

Dunlop, Pirelli and Michelin. Sorry no feedback – never see their products at events in relevant classes/sizes

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Sometimes just restricted 1.a - but if run to regional regs 1.b are OK - they certainly need to be E marked./road legal and may have size limitations, if not on the lists, which for the Clio are smaller than o.e, so there is a bonus in sticking to the o.e size if suitable tyres are available - hence my quest.. Anything else can move you out of the production or modifed class into the racing class where slicks are allowed and of course the cars are very different. It is correct that the Challenge cars run 15" wheels with Slicks (S9B) or rain tyre (P2B), neither of which are road legal.