ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trade Sales (Slough)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

They have some new Clio Sport 172s listed at £11k, which when I see used ones on AutoTrader for that price, they are tempting.

Are they UK cars with 3 yr warranties or imports with 1yr warranty?
Do they take P/exchanges?

Im certainly leaning towards them as theyre prices are very keen, just concerned about getting a "parallel import" car with a shorter warranty.

The ones for sale at 11k come with a 1yr warranty & without a Cat 1 Alarm. However, Renault will top-up the warranty to 3 yrs free if you ask. These are all imports

The ones for 12k come with the 3yr warranty. Dont think theyre imported but not certain

Mk2 172

My 02 172 originally came from Trade Sales . Cost the guy I brought it off £13k. Didnt have an alarm nor locking wheel nuts nor any other fancy extras that might be fitted by a renault dealer.

It is a German import, but is full UK specification, with the speedo in MPH and the trip computer showing MPG.

The money you save buying the import from trade sales, will easily pay for anything a renault dealer can try to tempt you with. (not that renault dealers are known for being generouse).

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a geniune new 172 will cost you around £14,000.anything around the £11,000 mark is definatly an import.there can be some warranty problems as dealers dont like imports.on all new renaults you now get full manfactures warranty but only dealer warranty on imports.the alarms they come with are fitted that poorly you might as well rip them out and throw them away.you wont get any out of warranty contributions from renault on a import car.

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Whether dealers like imports or not, they are now not at liberty to refuse to service your car the way they would a UK car. Volvo were taken to court over it and lost.

How dare they tell us where we can and cant service our cars, imports or not.

The import jobbies at Trade sales are good value for money, but do not p/x or take any finance with them. Best bet is to buy the car and run.

Paul

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i didnt mention owt about servicing.you can have you car serviced at any vat registered garage as long as they use geniune parts but that wasnt my point.for example they wont do warranty work to your alarm because it hasnt been fitted to uk spec

Jay - I think you have it back-to-front. Imports have the 2 year manufacturers warrenty. This can be topped up to 3 years with a simple phone call to Renault.

I doubt that any import has the cat1 alarm fitted, but this can be retro fitted by a Renault dealer for about £300.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

new cars used to have 1 years manufactures warranty and 2 years dealer warranty.they all now have 3 years manufactures warranty but i dont think you get this level of warranty over 3 years on a import.the alarms fitted on imports are the same as the british alarms but not fitted properley so no thatchem approval.

VW Potato

I got my Clio from Trade Sales in May 2002. It was sourced from a Renault dealer in Paris, is full UK-spec minus alarm, locking wheel nuts and etched windows. It cost £11,699. It came with 1 years manufacturers warranty - the subsequent letter from reno confirmed it is covered by Reno UK for one year and for two years by any reno dealer. When reno dealers give me grief about it being an import, I just show them the letter. That shuts the bozos up.

There is nothing wrong/dodgy/suspect about the cars from Trade Sales - if you do have a prob with the car, its a consequence of who made it (reno), not where you bought it from. If it meant saving £4k on my next car, Id buy from them again, no question.

g

When you buy from Trade Sales you will be getting an import car (normally Belgium). They dont have the alarm but they have the immobiliser, but it isnt rate CAT3 cos it wasnt fitted by renault in UK. The cars come with half a years trade sales warrenty NOT a renault warrenty. Then you can buy a 2 / 3 /4 year warrenty. Their warrentys mean the repairs can be done in any garage as long as it is VAT approved and you have to gain permission from trade sales. Also there will be no stereo code entered and trade sales do not know the code (but renault kindly charge 30ish for this information to trade sale customers).

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 23 December 2003

I got my Clio from Trade Sales in May 2002. It was sourced from a Renault dealer in Paris, is full UK-spec minus alarm, locking wheel nuts and etched windows. It cost £11,699. It came with 1 years manufacturers warranty - the subsequent letter from reno confirmed it is covered by Reno UK for one year and for two years by any reno dealer. When reno dealers give me grief about it being an import, I just show them the letter. That shuts the bozos up.

There is nothing wrong/dodgy/suspect about the cars from Trade Sales - if you do have a prob with the car, its a consequence of who made it (reno), not where you bought it from. If it meant saving £4k on my next car, Id buy from them again, no question.

g
The letter in question. http://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/rw.jpghttp://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/rw.jpg

Just make sure its an EU import or you will only get a 1 year warranty no mater what.

Mine is an import from Holland and has been back to my local dealer more times than Id like for a new car, but they have never once had an issue with where it came from. If the saving is there its worth it. Main dealers are offering better discounts these days so it pays to shop around.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

I bought my car from trade sales. Its a 1.6i 16v Dynamique. Its retailed at £10000 and i got it for £8500. The only differences for me where my door trims are all black instead of matching standard dynamique interior. and i got it with clear indicator covers as opposed to amber ones. Also the silver trim isnt the same as the uk spec it has a lighter colour, more similar to that found in a 172. I have a full 3 year renault warranty and it came with all the extras except a sunroof which i didnt want. It has aircon, speedo is in MPH has a Rev meter and the only other thing i noticed it doesnt have is the extra adjusting wheel on the driver side seat. Not sure what its for but i dont have it, think it pushes the middle of the seat out or something.

Got my 172 from there in July 02, got a 2 years Manufacturers warranty, as advised by two different Renault dealers, but you do get crappy service from them because you didnt buy the car there. Mine does have locking wheel nuts, immobiliser, and all the extras but no alarm. I had one problem with it so far that was sorted under warranty. At the end of the day, all your 172s are made in Paris. So what if some of them are imported, the one I got was ordered to full british spec without the alarm, I paid £10,500 for it... thats a lot less than £15,500 that the local dealership wanted for the same car, and a 6 week delivery... I ordered mine on the Monday and I had it on the Saturday. I couldnt afford what the dealer wanted for it, so I went elsewhere, at the time it was the more affordable option.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by RM172 on 23 December 2003

Its good to see my letter from Renault, is still doing the rounds.

RM172
Let me take this opportunity to thank you, I know its helped a lot of people out. :D

I hope you dont mind it getting used? Just let me know if you would prefer it to be kept off the boards.

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

g

But dare to complain to them once youve bought it?! Therefore my point was to buy, be happy with the saving and run. Not to have anymore to do with them. I know 2 people who work there and you do not want to know what Ive been told about aftersales service if someone gets sh*tty with them.

JAY - Warranty, servicing same thing. I mean "work" in general.
Paul

VW Potato

paul - i absolutely agree. I collected my keys and scarpered as quickly as I could. As far as I was concerned, the moment I left the forecourt, any future dealings relating to problems would be between me and reno (afterall, thats who the warrantys with)

g

Lee

BMW M2C

I got mine from Motorpoint. When I got it home I realised the autochanger wasnt connected. They said thats nothing to do with us, take it to your dealer. I plugged it in myself!

To be honest its what I expected. Dont expect any service from a car supermarket once you have the car. Afterall, its not like you are paying for it unlike with a main dealer!!

g
Exactly that, same year, same month and same cost...

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

mines a trade sales baby too, same cost as above, 2yr warranty, immobiliser no alarm which i had fitted after....not by reno. didnt have the stereo code cost £25 to get i think, also had to get sum english service/manual as it came with french ones, it will be 2yrs old in jan and ive had no probs so far. luckily there is a garage 2mins from trade sales slough as u will have to check ur oil if u have far to go! i waited a week to get mine after visiting them, they offered me 9.2%apr but i paid in full. :oops:

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

So on top of the trade sales price, Im looking at alarm and 6 disc changer as they dont come with them.

How easy is it to get a CAT1 alarm/immob etc fitted? Does it lock in with the orig renault stuff?

Does it need to be a specific cd changer? Renault provided?

Any other recommendations?

So far TS car is looking likely, as I can get a brand new import car for the same price as a UK 18month old car

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

it should have the multi changer, mine did. should have an immobiliser, and any thatcham 1 alarm will do jus depends on wot u can afford. if u have to get a multichanger u may be changing the head unit at a l8r date? so ul want to check compatability, but any decent car hifi place should tell u wots wot. :oops:

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Good thinking on the CD Changer/Changing Stereo idea.
Gonna be putting my iPod in the car via an iTrip, so no real need/urgency for cd changer.

Would a new CAT1 alarm interface with the car ok?
Work alongside Renault immobiliser or instead of?

What kind of cost am I looking at?
I guess sticking with the main brands? Clifford, Toad etc?
Any other alarm brand recommendations for 172s in particular?

Sorry for all questions, but I wanna make sure I buy a car with my eyes wide open instead of half blind to the issues I could have.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

any alarm will be compatible, stick to a known brand, nothing to recomend really its all about preference, lots of alarm packages do different things jus ring up a couple of car alarm/hifi places and get sum professional advice, i think mine was about 250-300ish fitted but not sure as i got rac 24hr tracker at the same time, hope this helps :oops:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you could get a cobra renault spec thatchem approved alarm fitted by renault for about £250>300