ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trading in car with a private plate

Leon TDI

Currently my 172 has a private mumber, and in ten days time i am trading it in for a mk2 172.

I transfered the private plate onto the car withou any problems. But this is the first time i have traded in a car with a private plate and im a little unsure what happens and what fees are involved.

Could anyone give me any advice. Is this something the dealer does when we exchange the V5, or should i be doing something proactive in adavnce?

Ta

/Woof

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

My mums doing this at the moment - ull need to re-register the old car to get the plate off. Havent got a clue how much it costs or what u need to do but i could ask her?

From the DVLA:

How do I transfer my registration mark?
To transfer a registration mark from one vehicle to another you will need to complete a V317 - Transfering a Vehicle Registration Number application form. Application forms can be obtained from DVLA’s network of local offices. The cost of transfer is £80. - this will assign a new number to the car you are taking the plate off and put your plate on another car

How can I retain my registration number?
You will need to complete a V778/1 - Retention of a Vehicle Registration Number application form. Application forms can be obtained from DVLA’s network of local offices. The cost to retain a registration number is £105. - This will also assign a new number to the car you are taking the plate off but I think you will have to pay again to get it onto another car (but I may be wrong on this - Im sure someone will correct me) ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

no, once you have paid the retention fee of £105, that includes transferring it on to the next car.