ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trailer advice

Megane R26
Looking to buy a used trailer ideally for track days and for collection cars.

Basic low one car trailer.

Any for sale? Reputable brands? What can I expect to pay?

Thanks!
Amin

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Main brands out there are brian james and ifor williams. Also got indespension and woodford but dont see so much of these.
For a decent sized trailer in good condition expect to pay £1500-£2500 depending on age

I have an ifor williams ct136hd, 13 x 6 foot and can carry 2100kg, 2700kg gross
I use it for my clio but due to its size means I can shift most other cars on it apart from larger vans

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a Brian James micro max that I use to tow my Mk1 clio. I use an old PD130 Passat to tow it. (Don’t have towing category on my licence so this is my absolute limit!)
to tow either my clio or a smart car, it’s perfect. For everything else it is utterly useless. can be bought from £1000 though and my 13 year old boy can push it around the yard it’s so easy to do.

my friend uses a 6 wheel Brian James tilt trailer and that can legally carry 2.5T.
He bought it second hand for £3000+ vat. Being 6 wheeled though it’s bloody hard to manouvre it around on your own. Almost impossible.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I'm in same situation I'm a car dealer and have a track Clio so need something to add on the back of my 536d instead of going back to a recovery truck. Wanted to spend around 2k needed 14ft bed ideally. Only option I've come up with that hasn't got a huge waiting list is the Woodford stt070 at 2280 plus vat Inc manual winch. Nice looking trailer and seems to get some decent reviews.

Megane R26
Exactly same position im in!
Need something that's easy to handle and collect new stock with.

LawrenceR

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone have experience of trailers that fit in garages? I know there are a couple, one I've seen where you can remove the tower part to reduce the overall length. I would like to buy one also and ideally would want it to fit inside my garage and then put the Clio on the trailer. Garage is not quite a double, a little longer than normal, don't have measurements to hand!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Does anyone have experience of trailers that fit in garages? I know there are a couple, one I've seen where you can remove the tower part to reduce the overall length. I would like to buy one also and ideally would want it to fit inside my garage and then put the Clio on the trailer. Garage is not quite a double, a little longer than normal, don't have measurements to hand!

Also very interested in this

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Since coming back from the ring, the clio drove fine on AST 5100 setup but I'm thinking in future it might be better to trailer it. My issue is storage and where to keep the trailer when its not in use?

LawrenceR

ClioSport Club Member
Since coming back from the ring, the clio drove fine on AST 5100 setup but I'm thinking in future it might be better to trailer it. My issue is storage and where to keep the trailer when its not in use?

Looks like we are all in the same boat! There are storage facilities that will store them, but then it adds to the cost of having one. I found this PDF the other day that would help with working out if it will fit in garages. I'd rather buy S/H though and there are so many different models on the market that it is not always as simple as this! I'm not in a rush, so I just keep scouring the web for one to come along.

Oh, I can't link the PDF, basically it was a brian james brochure. It gives all the overall lengths, load weights etc etc.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
While we're on the subject does anyone know the answer to this.....
I don't have the towing part on my licence so my understanding is I can tow a trailer as long as the weight of the car/trailer and load isn't over 3.5t? My kangoos MAM Is 1950 leaving 1550kg for the trailer and car?

The kangoos maximum braked towing weight however is 1050kg, I can't find anything to confirm it but some advice online seems to say this is a guide from the manufacturer not an actual legal limit and all that is legally enforceable is the vans MAM and the trailers plated limit?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As long as the MAM of the van and the MAM of the trailer are 3500kg or less you can yeah.

Most likely you'd need to get the trailer down plated.

To find out your vans towing capacity you can look at the vin sticker in the door shut and subtract the lower weight from the higher weight.

If it does end up being 1050kg I would not go over that tbh, as I believe you can still be done for going over the manufacturer's recommendations.

It's not that it won't physically pull it, but more of the structural strength of the area that the tow bar is bolted to.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As long as the MAM of the van and the MAM of the trailer are 3500kg or less you can yeah.

Most likely you'd need to get the trailer down plated.

To find out your vans towing capacity you can look at the vin sticker in the door shut and subtract the lower weight from the higher weight.

If it does end up being 1050kg I would not go over that tbh, as I believe you can still be done for going over the manufacturer's recommendations.

It's not that it won't physically pull it, but more of the structural strength of the area that the tow bar is bolted to.
Fantastic thanks I'll check it out and see what it says on the vin sticker. It seemed strange as the Renault documents say 1050kg, yet most similar size, weight, engined Renault's seem to be 1500kg! I'll double check. Cheers

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic thanks I'll check it out and see what it says on the vin sticker. It seemed strange as the Renault documents say 1050kg, yet most similar size, weight, engined Renault's seem to be 1500kg! I'll double check. Cheers

From what I can find online they're mostly 1050kg or 1200kg.

Average decent twin axle trailer will be ~500kg, so it's not going to leave you with much capacity leftover.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
From what I can find online they're mostly 1050kg or 1200kg.

Average decent twin axle trailer will be ~500kg, so it's not going to leave you with much capacity leftover.
Yeah that was why I was curious about the braked weight limit as if it was just a guidance then that's fine but if it's legally enforceable then I'll need to shift the kangoo on for a trafic or somthing similar

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
If your trying to get round it without doing trailer test then be careful if going for a larger van.

Trafic with a towing capacity of 2000kg will only leave you 1500kg for trailer, car and anything else you would like to carry. Will likely involve getting trailer downplated in order to stay legal and within the 3500kg train weight limit. Most decent sized car trailers will be plated at 1800 - 2500kg gross unless you go really small to the point you can just fit a clio on and no more. Brian James minnow etc

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If your trying to get round it without doing trailer test then be careful if going for a larger van.

Trafic with a towing capacity of 2000kg will only leave you 1500kg for trailer, car and anything else you would like to carry. Will likely involve getting trailer downplated in order to stay legal and within the 3500kg train weight limit. Most decent sized car trailers will be plated at 1800 - 2500kg gross unless you go really small to the point you can just fit a clio on and no more. Brian James minnow etc

It would be the MAM of the van which you'd need to look at first, which is 3000kg for a Traffic.

That would leave you 500kg...

You'd 100% need a trailer test.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
It would be the MAM of the van which you'd need to look at first, which is 3000kg for a Traffic.

That would leave you 500kg...

You'd 100% need a trailer test.

100% right, I overlooked that slightly haha
Doesn't seem to be a happy medium towing with a van. They can either tow next to nothing or a decent weight.
Its well worth just doing the trailer test, least you know what to expect if youve never towed or reversed with a trailer before and keeps your options open for larger trailers and carrying decent loads rather than scrimping all the time

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just so I know I'm understanding this correctly? My towing vehicle is an Audi A4 Avant B6 gross weight is 2165kg a BJ Minno trailer is 375kg and let's say a stripped caged Clio is 1000kg which would tip me over the 3500kg band and would require to take a test. Unless I can lose 40kg bringing me under the 3500kg band.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I wouldn't worry to much if your only slightly over as long as it looks ok and the paperwork adds up you'd be unlucky to get weighed.
I've been stopped a fair few times and never been weighed they just go off the stamps on the trailer/vehicle.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Talking to people at work today about this and they kept referring to the plate. Now I think the one I am looking at is stamped at 1300kg. I was told that basically they will go off that no questions asked as if you're over then you're over.

I never knew this would be such a minefield :ROFLMAO:

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
They wont weigh you when they pull you but they dont go by actual weight. They go by the plated weight. Even if your trailer is plated for 2100kg and you only have a 1000kg clio on it, your down as 2100kg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
They wont weigh you when they pull you but they dont go by actual weight. They go by the plated weight. Even if your trailer is plated for 2100kg and you only have a 1000kg clio on it, your down as 2100kg
So the one I'm looking at currently is plated up as being 1300kg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So I picked up a BJT Minno and very happy with it till I come to try and get the Clio on the back. I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong but it seems too narrow for the car?

Am I better off winching it on the trailer rather than driving it on. The tyres that are fitted look deflated at the bottom (Clio) but they are infact inflated. I’m still yet to fit 3mm spacers and the current set up has 1.5 degrees of camber at the front.

Have I got things wrong or is it simply a case they are very snug fit when getting it on the trailer? It is wider as you go up the trailer and seems the entrance is tapered in slightly making it tight which is why I thought winching it on would be better?
43F3282E-7129-4752-A021-06CA51AC35BB.jpeg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@VenomUK - I have a BJ Minno but I have the one with a totally flat bed.

you have two options; fit some standard 15 inch wheels with skinny tyres and remove the spacers when you load/unload the car, or buy another trailer.

Here is mine;

F0FE6D4B-B1CA-4AD4-9A39-05C2C17484A6.png

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I already have 15" TD1.2 wheels fitted
I was suggesting 15 inch dynamique wheels (or similar) with a low offset. Plus the removal of spacers, that should see you on the trailer easier.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ll look into it. I have got brembos fitted, don’t know if that’s going to be an issue?

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I've just popped up on Facebook if it's any good. It's not mine just see it an thought about this thread

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-171731.png
    Screenshot_20200915-171731.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 74

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
You must have a very light clio if you are expecting to have 1050kg in a clio and trailer combined.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't worry to much if your only slightly over as long as it looks ok and the paperwork adds up you'd be unlucky to get weighed.
I've been stopped a fair few times and never been weighed they just go off the stamps on the trailer/vehicle.
I took my car to a weigh bridge aswell got them to print me the certificate and laminated it so if they stop me I van produce it.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
But how much does the trailer weigh as that's part of the MAM?
I don't know? It's all very confusing as to what the figures are taken when working out MAM. I simply thought they take the Max figure plated on the trailers plate and then the vehicle weight from the door shut plates and if it's under or over 3.5 indicates if you're breaking the law or not. All I know is the trailer I bought and sold again was 1500 down platesd to 1300 so that the previous owner could tow with his vehicle under the 3.5 mark.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know? It's all very confusing as to what the figures are taken when working out MAM. I simply thought they take the Max figure plated on the trailers plate and then the vehicle weight from the door shut plates and if it's under or over 3.5 indicates if you're breaking the law or not. All I know is the trailer I bought and sold again was 1500 down platesd to 1300 so that the previous owner could tow with his vehicle under the 3.5 mark.

That's correct.

It's the trailer plated weight plus the car's max weight stated on its sticker.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That was mine that I sold already. The Clio wouldn’t fit so back on the hunt for another trailer again
Just found this on eBay.

I have the same trailer and both my mk1 and Mk2 Clio’s fit in it perfectly.
(Mine has centre boards but they’re cheap enough to add)

towing with a passat/A4 will keep you under the B&E entitlement requirement too. 👍