ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Damper Refurbishment

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Been meaning to put this thread up since last May xD

Front Dampers were due to be refurbished (had been weeping oil for a good few months from bottom of reservoir, which as I found out later I should have not ran on them) and had been collecting parts for that work, One day while fixing the exhaust sheilds noticed the rear damper was weeping some oil, so onto phone with Renault-Lookers to get 2 new ones ordered. What fun that was! Was expecting some issues with ordering the parts so Gareth had supplied me with the part numbers for the read dampers. The guy just wasn't going to accept the part numbers saying they weren't a Renault part . . . he ordered rear dampers for me, which once I went to pick up were the wrong ones, was bit pissed off. But they agreed following some more key bashing and finding right part number to get them ordered in asap and to honour the price of the wrong ones for the Sachs ones, saved me over £100 :)

Week later noticed car just wasn't sitting right one day, put a jack underneath to see this. Quite scary considering day before I'd been driving back from a Chester Cliosport meet along the twisty old A5 and back roads through North Wales.

09042011899.jpg

So took decision to completely refurbish and replace the springs aswell as planned damper setup front and rear to get the Trophy handling like new.

Monday morning was on phone to Renault-Lookers to get 2 new front spring and 2 new rear springs ordered on top of the current rear dampers on order which still hadn't arrived.

Week later called up to find out the status of them all, Front springs weren't actually in France, so had to be made and they had no idea on the rear dampers still :S at least rear springs, which I din't actually really need just for the price they are was going to change

This is my one and only car and had not used it since finding the broken spring, needed it to get to work so got onto here, cliotrophy.net, ebay and Clio spares to try to get a set of 182 cup dampers and and springs to keep car on road. Few days later I had this collection of parts to fit the following weekend.

09042011890.jpg

Had to clear out all the crap my Dad had piled into garage but few hours later had enough space to get the Trophy in and start work

09042011891.jpg

09042011898.jpg

Sachs off

09042011900.jpg

Can see the broken spring and pretty sure thanks to the rubber sleeve it must have pulled the two pieces in to the point that the car felt ok day to day to drive and prevented the coil from turning.

09042011902.jpg

Trophy Sacks damper next to a 182 Cup damper. Quite a difference in the piston length. Hence reason why I struggled later on to get spring back on without compressors.

09042011903.jpg

Got on phone to BG motorsport who were able to get them booked in to do in only 2 days so got the Sachs jet washed and packed up and thanks to local courier company (Delsol) they got them there in a day :)

Got call on day they were being refurbished to say that one of the pistons had scored due to being run at low pressure. Was told it wasn't too bad and had cleaned up but wasn't perfect and may cause loss of pressure prematurely. Wanted everything perfect so told the guys to change it. Extra £102 to bill but considering it all was small price.

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

While I was waiting to get them back gave the top hats a clean and a quick coat of Bilt-Hamber Hydrate 80 and VHT roll bar and chassis paint, which hardens to almost a powder coating like finish

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Finished items with cleaned and treated boots

DSC00533.jpg

Big thanks to BG motorsport who gt the dampers back to me within the week, so then onto sorting the dampers out. They had replaced the adjusters for me but at some point between these being made and now the rates on the adjuster had changed slightly (1-2 clicks) so I actually had dampers now that are able to go a little bit firmer at max setting. They'd marked up the new default rate setting for me :)

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

Spot the other present that had arrived from Tom at Wests Renault :D

DSC00526.jpg

Wire brushed as much rust off as I could and some emery cloth on some spots. Then Hydrate 80 onto the rusted spots

DSC00536.jpg

The spring platform was quite badly rusted as was the bottom mounts

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

Hydrate 80 is awesome stuff, kills the rust, dries quickly and goes from the baby blue when wet to a dark purple once dried and gives a brilliant surface to paint onto. Masked everything I didn't want painted including the original manufacture stickers which weren't in too bad a condition tbh, had to re fix one corner back down but that's it.

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

Keyed the old paint up and an IPA wipe down. Smooth Silver Hammerite is a perfect match for the dampers.

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

Gave them few days to dry, then removed the masking from the damper sticker and gave the whole body a quick coat of laquer as extra protection.

DSC00636.jpg

New front springs had arrived two weeks after ordering but I still didn't have the rear dampers! Think it took 6 weeks from ordering to getting them but they finally arrived a week later in massive boxes lol

dsc285797703.jpg

Gave these a quick keying and laqured up seeing how rusty old ones were

DSC00634.jpg

Finally after over 6 weeks everything was ready to go

DSC00640.jpg

Following weekend back into garage. Had to clear out garage again Dad being the hoarder he is and need to put crap in any cleared floor space lol.

DSC00650.jpg

New Top mounts

DSC00651.jpg

Little brother gave me a hand so thought I'd throw him in at deep end :rasp:

DSC00656.jpg

Had planned to get hubs cleaned and painted but everything came together and instead of putting car off road while I did little jobs got it all sorted in a weekend.

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

As if refurbishing the dampers wasn't enough needed new brakes too, so on with same setup I had, Brembo Max discs and Pagid RS 4-2 pad.

DSC00659.jpg

Never been so glad to have taken car into garage in my life

DSC00665.jpg

Had to drop tools for a bit while garage got flooded lol.

DSC00666.jpg

Even hailed in May!

DSC00667.jpg

Got all torqued up and took for a quick test drive, felt so solid (but needed alignment done) Checked everything once back and left rear dampers for next day

Rears was easy, well I thought it would have been except for one of the cup rear dampers top nuts would not come off, had to grind it off, which was a t**t of a job in the location it was.

All off and top mounts checked and swapped over. The new rear dampers didn't come with top mounts which at fully retail price is a joke. Know others come with them as one unit. Luckily the old ones were in as new condition.

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

All done, at this point need the alignment done but was happy :)

DSC00619.jpg

Nice work, that Hydrate 80 stuff looks great!

Can you just treat/kill the rust, let it turn purple then leave it? suppose i should read up about it.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys, sorry about some of the photos rotating, they're right way up on photobucket :S

are you missing the "new" spacer to go with the top mounts?

Not sure Fred, all I got is whats in pic. They were bought 2nd hand year ago but they were new and never fitted. Do they need the new washer or is that only the revised design?

Nice work, that Hydrate 80 stuff looks great!

Can you just treat/kill the rust, let it turn purple then leave it? suppose i should read up about it.

Yeah it doesn't need a top coat of pain, dries pretty much black, that's what I've done on the hubs atm as I didn't have time to paint over.

Bilt-Hammber have rust removal stuff as well that's awesome and worth using first, Deox I think it's called.

lol @ the main thing i noticed was the dragon off the daily post, where in NW u from lad? im in wrexham weekly, trophy looks great. get it to BTM for a check on those dampers and allignment!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Great bit of work Kaith. Fancy doing mine? ;)

:D thanks, err pass ;)

lol @ the main thing i noticed was the dragon off the daily post, where in NW u from lad? im in wrexham weekly, trophy looks great. get it to BTM for a check on those dampers and allignment!

Haha, down the coast in Bangor area, alignments been done since that, but might actually take it there not happy with handling atm, something not quite right.

Clio 182 Trophy
Nice work Keith, when I did mine it felt great re-fitting clean fresh dampers and it made a world of difference to the handling, as they fade over time you don't notice but when they are back to new it's a nice surprise!

Are they the top mounts I sent you ?

Mine came back with blue dials....

DSCF3990.jpg

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks

Did you get them depinned or not?

Yeah, but the new adjustment valves are slightly different to old ones in that they will go to a harder setting now so that why they marked them up for me with the new default middle point. Got it down somewhere what the factory clicks are now for me.

Nice work Keith, when I did mine it felt great re-fitting clean fresh dampers and it made a world of difference to the handling, as they fade over time you don't notice but when they are back to new it's a nice surprise!

Are they the top mounts I sent you ?

Mine came back with blue dials....

DSCF3990.jpg

Yeah there the ones, might be going to solid mounts shortly though, don't like the fles in the new PS3 over the PE2's, hoping that'll give me the turn in that i've lost with the PS3

Yeah saw that on cliotrophy was expecting mine to be but as above in Sam's reply I wonder if that's anything to do with colour?

Clio 182 Trophy
I have solid top mounts fitted and PS3s, there is still a considerable amount of flex, I wish they still made the PE2s, the PS3s really let the feel of the car down, bugs me!

My dials were unpinned when I sent them off, Ben at BG Motorsports told me he replaced the dials because water was getting in where the pins used to be.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I have solid top mounts fitted and PS3s, there is still a considerable amount of flex, I wish they still made the PE2s, the PS3s really let the feel of the car down, bugs me!

My dials were unpinned when I sent them off, Ben at BG Motorsports told me he replaced the dials because water was getting in where the pins used to be.

PS3 have amazing grip in wet but just not happy with feel, going to go with the Pro motorsport one and strut brace, get alignment done. Once happy with front end get my rear ARB fitted, been in my old bedroom at parents for around 6 months xD

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Well went to get my new ones fitted today and found out I had 2 off side dampers, DOH. So rear and off side one is now fitted and the other one is boxed and on its way back to West's Renault, so got to wait a week for the the near side to be delivered to me.............
mad.png

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting johnny, seeing as they are apparently out of stock. I wonder of there is another one knocking about

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome job!
I've put mine off til spring now.

Thank you Aucky :) Was a nice little job tbh, pain in arse with getting parts. Need a hand or anything just send me a PM

Well went to get my new ones fitted today and found out I had 2 off side dampers, DOH. So rear and off side one is now fitted and the other one is boxed and on its way back to West's Renault, so got to wait a week for the the near side to be delivered to me.............
mad.png

Bo****ks Hope you get it from France soon, took a while for mine to come from 'France' lol

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Nice little write up. How often do these need servicing, are they done as part of the service schedule or just when they start weeping?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A job well done there, mate. :D I found that the improvement in handling (following BG's refurb) was amazing. It cost a fair bit as I practically had new components but bloody hell it handles so much better!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Nice little write up. How often do these need servicing, are they done as part of the service schedule or just when they start weeping?

No real service schedule like you mentioned weeping and loss of gas pressure are only signs to check for.

Some good work done here!!

Fancy painting mine & removing the rust if i send you some Haribo?

Some Milkybars too and I may be interested ;)

A job well done there, mate. :D I found that the improvement in handling (following BG's refurb) was amazing. It cost a fair bit as I practically had new components but bloody hell it handles so much better!

It seems so solid now.

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT
i was so gutted when reading this you didnt list the part numbers , makes life so much easier when dealing with the dealers .

Im looking for the part numbers for the front and rear trophy springs and the top mounts you dont happen to have these do you?

Clio Trophy
i was so gutted when reading this you didnt list the part numbers , makes life so much easier when dealing with the dealers .

Im looking for the part numbers for the front and rear trophy springs and the top mounts you dont happen to have these do you?

Renault wolverhampton on traders section???

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Trophy springs are just eibach ones and top mounts will be the same as a 182 CUP

Just give the dealer your reg, they can get the part numbers for you