ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy sound system

There is nothing physically connected to the dash board, it's all mounted to the framework underneath so you don't have to touch the airbag. I was just wary working around it.

I will take a couple of pics but I mounted my tweeters into the existing grills on the dash. They are removable, so ultimately you could replace them, but I'm not planning on taking the speakers back out.

If you are planning on installing components with a separate cross-over you will need to run in some new wire as the current speaker wiring is bundled up into the main looms running through the car.

One annoying thing is that there is no way to run a new cable into the doors, at the car end of the rubber duct that carries cable from the door there is a multi-pin plug that links into a socket fixed to the door frame. I guess the logic here is that you can just unplug, and remove the door.

I decided to cut the speaker feeds on the bag of the socket and connect my new wiring.

I located my cross-overs underneath my glove box (glued on with a blob of silicon) so I have run full frequency feeds from the HU down and then the woofer/tweeter feeds back to the drivers.

I got my speakers on sale at Audiofile in Bishop Stortford and I picked up £430 worth of kit for £180, so I didn't do too badly.

Why do people dislike 6"x9"s?

Nike Lunar Elite's
chiefsilverback said:
Why do people dislike 6"x9"s?

Because they are s**t.
They try to be a jack of all trades, but fail at everything.
They ruin the soundstage.
They make your car look chavvy.
They invite scum to try and pinch your ICE.

The list could go on...

hydeyho said:
Because they are sh*t.
They try to be a jack of all trades, but fail at everything.
They ruin the soundstage.
They make your car look chavvy.
They invite scum to try and pinch your ICE.

The list could go on...
You can scrub off your last 2 points by installing them in a stealth shelf!?!?

As a source of rear fill in a clio they surely are just the thing, full range sound, not taking up your boot with boxes and amps etc...

I think the point about the sound stage is really open for debate given that you are working within the confines of a metal box and therefore you will never achieve true audiophile hi-fi, so for me there's not point trying.

Also in a Trophy you have to road and engine noise to contend with, so without fully sound proofing/deadening you're fighting a loosing battle.

E87 118i
I'm actaully keen to put some in my car to make a comprison....

I'm pretty sure for the average guy in a small car they will be fine and a good improvemnt over standatd with out getting too involved

btw - where's the pics ? ;)

Nike Lunar Elite's
Bryan on her used to have a great arguement against the dreaded 6x9s - If you go to a concert which way do you face?

Skoda Fabia vRS
chiefsilverback said:
One annoying thing is that there is no way to run a new cable into the doors, at the car end of the rubber duct that carries cable from the door there is a multi-pin plug that links into a socket fixed to the door frame.

see my guide posted about doing it on a Mk1, id presume the Mk2's will be the same

Well, everything is done, the stealth shelf was delivered last week and I fitted it with the 6"x9"s on Sunday.

I am very happy with the result. The sound in the car is infinately better than 3 weeks ago when it was still the original fit stereo.

The bass is punchy, the mid and treble is clear and it goes louder than I could ever want so I'm satisfied.

Megane Trophy
may aquire your assistance in braintree

im going to attempt to fit some rainbows front and rear in my clio, amp them up and also install a sony headunit and a sub and amp setup!!

I'll probably be up that way in 3 weeks or so! A friend of mine is a car stereo installer who works not far from Braintree, he might be able to help you out at a discounted cash price!! ;)

BMW Z4 3.0i
So what did you alter in the end? Did you upgrade the head unit or just fit 6x9's as replacement for your rear speakers and run them off your existing head unit?

I put in a new HU (Alpine CDE-9850Ri) new fronts (Infinity Kappa 50.5 components) and the 6"x9"s (Infinity Reference) on a stealth shelf.

I also took the opportunity to throw some Dynamat Xtreme in whilst the door cards and dash top were removed.

I think all up it cost around £550 but I did get the speakers in a sale and saved £150 on the Kappas and £100 on the References! :)

The net result is a much, much nicer sounding audio system which uses my iPod as it's main source.