ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy sound system

I'm picking my Trophy up on Friday and I'll be wanting to improve the sound system...

Firstly, what iPod head units do people recommend? Does any one have any info on the new Alpine range that will be coming out in a couple of months?

Secondly, upgrading the speakers. Do the standard fit speakers need replacing, and if so, with what? I like my music to sound good with a nice clean bass...

I'm changing from an Leon Cupra which had really good speakers as standard but I'm thinking the Trophy's factory fit could be a little weak!?!?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Lee

BMW M2C
I swapped the standard head unit for an Alpine 9853R. I'm not really bothered about the quality to be honest as I'll probably never change the speakers, but what I did want was the ability to play MP3s.

alpine1.jpg

alpine2.jpg

The glide strip is a real pain in the Trophy. Due to the hard ride I find it hard to keep my finger on the strip when moving.

The standard speakers are pretty poor IMO.

Lee

Nike Lunar Elite's
Nope, standard size is 13cm / 5.25in, but not too much work involved to get 17cm / 6.5in.

Monaro VXR
No one will have much experiance with that headunit they literally only came out within the last week or so.

But with it being an alpine i dont see it being much of a problem.

And you could get a normal sub installed without it taking up much room at all. Amps can be hidden away in places.Just make a small false floor stick em under it have the sub in a stealth box over the wheel arch.

Looks tidy uses little room and sounds loads better.

Where's the spare wheel stored on a Clio? I know that sounds a little stoopid, bit I'm picking mine up tomorrow....

I ask because the Trophy doesn't have a spare, therefore if there's a well in the boot for the spare wheel, this could be the perfect home for an amp and small sub!?!?!

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
they have removed the space for the spare wheel on the trophy. so no luck there mate. id go for a stealth box, they aint too bix or heavy

J Rock said:
they have removed the space for the spare wheel on the trophy. so no luck there mate. id go for a stealth box, they aint too bix or heavy

Why couldn't they be lazy and leave the spare wheel well!?!?! :mad: ;)

Where would you put your amp with a stealth box?

Are there any other options? Would a good set of replacement speakers front and back suffice?

replacement speakers front and back would do a reasonable job but a sub in a stealth box and the amp attatched to the back ofnthe rear seat wouldnt take up much room and would give you better quality and more volume

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
lol i thought that myself. i just reinforced my parcel shelf with some fibreglass and a few bits of wood and put some alpine 6x9's in. bass doesnt sound to bad if you put decent ones in. was going to make my own steath box but its too cold to be working outisde lol. will do in summer tho

Nike Lunar Elite's
Don't fit 6x9s, get a good quality set of components for the front, rip the rear speakers out, and get a sub if you want some 'fill'

hydeyho said:
Don't fit 6x9s, get a good quality set of components for the front, rip the rear speakers out, and get a sub if you want some 'fill'

I'd considered that, as it's a small space, and I don't want to zap out the boot with boxes and amps etc... how about either of these?

http://www.alpine-europe.com/conten...2000_8--20cm-POWERED-SUBWOOFER-BOX-4-937;.htm

or

http://www.alpine-europe.com/conten...-LOAD-DESIGN-POWERED-SUBWOOFER-BOX-4-937;.htm

What would you recommend as good components?

Nike Lunar Elite's
All depends on your budget, but both of these come highly recommended on here >

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3854&cadid=91bd1bb6f478680da1e405b7f4547fa5
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3850&cadid=91bd1bb6f478680da1e405b7f4547fa5

I'm not really a fan of any 'active' subs that I've heard, why not go for an 8in sub such as >

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=2980&cadid=91bd1bb6f478680da1e405b7f4547fa5
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=2932&cadid=91bd1bb6f478680da1e405b7f4547fa5

These require fairly small boxes so won't take up much space.

The problem is that there are too many options!!!

I think I'll start with the new head unit, and then take it from there, potentially uprated components in the front, and just one of those QBass units to fill the sound nicely!?!?

Monaro VXR
chiefsilverback said:
Why couldn't they be lazy and leave the spare wheel well!?!?! :mad: ;)

The reason its not there is cause the exhaust goes through where it would be if i remember correctly.

Monaro VXR
My new sub weighs so bloody much. betting it isnt far off 20kg on its own. Then i have the box and 2 amps to go in the boot as well.

miketheman2k said:
Becker Headunit - that's all you need to know. Looks stock and will sound better than the usual jap units. :)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3772

(btw, Becker (or HK - same company), are OEM in a lot of VAG's, hence why they sound so good)

I'm considering the Becker Indianapolis Pro, comes with Europe SAT NAV with TMC and Bluetooth phone connection.

BECKERINDIANAPOLISPRO7952RED.gif

7MAT

PS Are there any steering wheel stalk / screen adaptors out yet that will work with a Trophy?

Monaro VXR
^not really you might just like the look of the car and in all fairness adding 15kg doesnt affect performance THAT much.

its not gonna be a noticeable difference anyways i mean the cup has less weight and its only .1 second quicker in a straight line.

Well, I've been shopping and purchased the following:

Infinity Kappa 5 1/4" Components - £99
Infinity Reference 6" x 9" - £79
Stealth Shelf - £99

I haven't fitted them yet, so I don't know how it's going to sound, but it can't sound any worse than the standard units!!!!! They really did fall apart when I play Gold Digger through them! They also didn't particularly like Pachelbel's Canon..... ;)

The Kappas are installed and sounding very nice. The wiring is in for the References and they will go in on Saturday when I get my stealth shelf.

Installing took longer than I'd estimated, but the improved sound is worth it.

As I had things apart I took the opportunity to hard wire my Road Angel, and feed a permenantly powered 12V socket in the glove box.

I only blew one fuse in the process and the whole thing has gone back together remarkably well!! ;)

Having taken the dash apart, and looked at the original fixings, I opted to mount the tweeters on the dash.

The Kappas come with various mounting brackets, one of which is like a tube with a screw thread on it. You drill a hole through the dash, poke the tube through and then there's a big 'nut' that screws up under the dash and holds the whole lot in place.

It just so happens that the grills for the tweeters on the dash are just the same size as the Infinity tweeter mountings....

E87 118i
let us know how the 6x9's sound - considering putting some on the parcel shelf too.

some pics also won't hurt. ;)

rock said:
some pics also won't hurt. ;)

I took a couple of the car when the dash was removed, and I'll get some of the finished article.

There's not much to see as the rears are going on a stealth shelf, the cross-overs are hidden away under the glove box and the front woofers are in the original door housings.

With the exception of the vastly improved sound the only real indication of the upgrade are the new tweeters sitting very nicely on the dash...

A4 Avant & A3
A pic of the dash being off might be useful, to show (me) what to expect when changing the tweeters on mine :)

Did the dash come off pretty easily? or were there any moments when you kind of regretted trying?

E87 118i
cool, I would like to see what he 6x9's look like in the boot.

the way I had to drive to get to a crisis at work today I could never imagine having a box in the boot again. :)

The worst bit about stripping the interior out is not wanting to use too much force and damage things, especially taking the dash off as I was very wary of the passenger airbag!

There are 11 screws that actually hold the dash on, 2 of which are covered by the top half of the steering column, so all in you need to remove 13 screws (2 sizes of torx).

You also need to remove the A-pillar linings before the dash will move. It then slides forward and lifts off (there are a couple of 'press stud' type fixings that need a sharp tug).

Are you replacing with new components, and do the components have cross-overs?

The standard fit speakers don't have cross-overs. There are full frequency feeds to both drivers and the OE tweeters have circuit to filter out the LF stuff.

You're a little too far away, but I'd be happy to offer some assistance to any one down around Tunbridge Wells or Braintree (girlfriend's residence)....

A4 Avant & A3
I will probably be replacing with some components at some stage yes, so wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like under the dash to know what to expect.

Might drive to braintree for your help ;-) (only kidding mate) actually i sometimes drive up the A12 (from M25) as the misses originally comes from ipswich... i normally get myself out of seeing the inlaws as much as possible though :)

A4 Avant
Chiefsilverback, how far can you remove the top of the dash without pulling on the airbag wires?

Do you have to drill the dash to mount the tweeters? Don't fancy leaving holes behind if I decide too sell it in the future.

Where did you purchase the speakers for such a good price?