ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Track Rat Beginneth

Turbos.
Hi Folks - Englebert here. For all who remember, an absolute Cliosport legend. For those who don't, an utter nobody.

It must have been around 12 years since I was last in a Clio (an Iceberg Silver PH2 172, in case you were wondering) and a similar time since I finally clicked away from Off Topic, hit that 'log off' button and actually did some work.

Now, my girlfriend has been quite keen to do something on track and I've been keen to let her. However, I wanted the car to be cheap and easy to drive. Easy decision - Clio! I started looking at 172 Cups but after a recent Pistonheads spotlight on the Trophy and a watch of Harry Metcalfe's video on YouTube, suddenly my budget doubled! The missus also loves red cars. Sorted.

So here it is, I bought the cheapest Trophy I could find today.

P1011644-2.jpg

It may look nice in the photo, but there's quite a bit of bits wrong with the 115,000 mile No.12 Trophy. Namely:
  • Big hole in driver's-side carpet
  • Slight tear in one of the Recaros
  • Paint various colours
  • Front grilles faded
  • No black blanks on the front bumper
  • Broken boot struts
  • Melted steering wheel
  • Air con controls peeling
  • Radio needs a code, so doesn't work
  • Trophy stickers peeling
  • Three different brands of tyre
  • Smells of dog
But, it does have freshly rebuilt dampers, a recent cambelt and the wheels have been refurbished.

So my plan is to keep much of the 'patina' being a track day toy. Instead, I'll focus on modifications to make it more track biased. Could you guys refresh my memory with the essentials?

• Still a case of Ferodos or Carbon Lorraine pads? Which discs?
  • What are the best road-legal track days for them?
  • What geo adjustability is there, and what do people go for?
  • Is there a subtle rear bolt-in cage that keeps the rear seats?
  • Any other track day mod essentials?

Thanks chaps and chapesses!

Hello Robert.

Nice looking project! You need to share some pics of your other motors as well though!

And your dads!

Welcome back btw.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Great to see you back on CS Rob, it's been a long time!

Good choice with the Trophy, should be perfect for what you are looking for.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Welcome back :)

Pads- pbs seem to be getting a great mention, £109 from Kam Racing. Or the ferodo ds.11 pads from @George@RTR_Parts are supposed to be immense, @JB21

Discs- from George again, brembo ones are fine.

Fluid.- might be worth a change too.

Rear cage with seats in-. Do you mean remove them for a trackday and leave the cage? I’d get rid of the rear seats and have never seen what your asking tbh.

Tyres/wheels. I’d probably go with ado8r’s with a 15” wheel.

Smaller steering wheel would be my definite change.

Geo-. I assume maybe close to standard shocks so upto -2 degrees and 12mm of toe out.

Anything else will be personal choice.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
This should be a great read. I'm thinking of doing something similar for the same reasons. Missus has always fancied it so going to look at a cheap 182. Not so sure my budget will be able to magically double though like yours :(

Look forward to reading.

Turbos.
Thanks for welcomes and tips so far. Do any of the track day tyres fit the 16" Turini? I don't really want another set of wheels in the garage!

I have ordered the Sabelt / RenaultSport steering wheel and will use the guys above to order the essentials for track in that case. Managed to get a few eBay bits ordered as well so the interior doesn't look a total mess! I am determined not to be precious with it though...

Another reason why I got the Trophy is I am racking up the miles on my RS6. I have had it for 18 months and am already up to 35,000 miles, which isn't great news for depreciation. Naturally, as per my Cliosport days, it is modified - it's sitting on some custom H&R coilovers and you can see I've gone for the murdered out look.

IMG_2262.JPG

We still have the NSX but don't really race it any more. A few years back my dad bought this lovely Mustang that I've been racing. I absolutely adore it!

P1001060.jpg

I've also recently treated myself to a Huracan Performante. I have storage issues so don't really have any decent photos of it yet, but I have already done a track day at Imola and have done the Lamborghini factory tour.

IMG_3999.jpg

Again though, I can't resists mods! I have Novitec springs that need to be fitted, and I am negotiating a deal with Vossen on some wheels where the car will be displayed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed on their stand!

My dad and I also went half-sies on yet another NSX recently. The icing on the cake is be getting the old man to buy the 'ultimate' plate for it too! It looks f**king beautiful, in my eyes at least.

P1011263.jpg

The NSX is getting an NSX-R momo wheel, NSX-R gear knob and has some coilovers to go on (it won't get slammed, just an OEM+ look).

But despite all the nice cars, I don't forget my roots. I'm really good mates with Dan (Dansta) still after all these years and we still talk about Clios like 17 year olds virtually every day!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That last paragraph is quite refreshing to read.... Such amazing machinery but still chatting about French tin cans to a good mate. I remember your forum name from ages back, I look forward to reading up on the Trophy progress.

172 Cup
Welcome back! Wow, what a selection of vehicles. Now complete with a 182 Trophy of course.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That’s some collection you and your dad have between the two of you.

Nice to see you’re looking to enjoy the Trophy, and not leave it parked up.

Have you got anymore pictures/videos of the mustang?

What a great line up!

Glad you’ve come back to the ‘Roots’ too... love seeing those that have gone on to successful lives and are still grounded.

just go for it on this build... put a cage in it for sure, if the mrs means anything to you (I’m sure she does) then throw one in. And then just enjoy it

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice Tro-... sod the Trophy, more pics of Mustang and Huracan Performante needed... :)

I'd probably be looking for something like AD08R's (in 16") as a tyre choice, Ferodo DS1.11 pads and good old Brembo HC discs for stopping (along with braided lines, fresh fluid, the usual). PMS top mounts and strut (no bracing really needed at the back although some folks like the Whiteline RARB to make the backend a little more lively and adjustable). New bushes, track rods / ends, springs and you're laughing. I'd also stick a Quaife diff in there if you're happy to spend another grand on it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You can get R888R's in 205/45 R16 and it will handle no differently on 16's to 15's. I swapped from 15's up to 16's on my track cup.........never noticed any difference!!

Great selection of cars you've got there! Welcome back too!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The f**king liger lover returns! Nice to see you back... Even you used to say... They always come back!

Good choice of 182, I think most always thought the ff182 was best for track due to the options, coilovers etc.

I bought one years ago the guy had reader for track then his missus sprang the baby news. He had those brakes and ado8s. Tremendous tyre for track.

Pics of the missus...

Now that is what I call a collection! That Audi is a beauty, but with all things Clio, shall be very interested to see how things go with this one, nice to hear that although it's being used for track, it's going to be 'saved' all the same!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Fenn!

What are you doing with yourself after the Amtivo buyout?

Turbos.
Currently nothing, but am starting a car storage and events business!

So first thing I have got done is a bit of a detail. I wasn't that bothered about the outside, as it's already a shed, but it was nice to see the headlights returned to their former glory! The main thing now is there is no dog hair in the interior...

IMG_5164.jpg

The car is now with Two Techs in Dartford, Kent. Unfortunately I've been told the front dampers are leaking! This is an issue as it's meant to be on track next Wednesday. Particularly frustrating as they were supposedly rebuilt last Jan and the car has done a mere 1,000 miles since - basically the only reason why I went for the Trophy was for this ?

I am getting Two Techs to replace a few emergency bits, and then I am racing to get new tyres fitted ahead of Wednesday's evening track day at Brands.

I have then another track day booked the following Wednesday, so the car is going back in immediately to Two Techs to get a full suspension refresh (wishbones, track rods and bushes).

Two Techs seem very knowledgable, and reassuring that they have similar cars being worked on.

IMG_5172.jpg

Can anyone recommend some suspension alternatives? I'm going to have to order something as it's not like I can get the dampers rebuilt in a week. Any help appreciated!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If you're wanting to get them refurbed and put back on then just get some standard 182 shocks with the 60mm spacing and run them until the sachs are back. Otherwise, go big, get BC or AST coilovers.

Did you keep the 4 pots from the 1.2?!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That’s annoying when you think something has been done and it turns out to be untrue.

I’ve also only just noticed the washer blanks have been removed and the bumper smoothed.

Turbos.
So a bit of an update...

Track day now done! After picking up the car from Two Techs, I went to get new tyres fitted. You can see how obvious the leaking is...

IMG_5364.jpg

Nevertheless, with the track day booked I decided to crack on. Here's a photo of those nice tyres!

IMG_5368.jpg

On the track day itself, all was well until the last half hour where there was a noticeable vibration and clunk from the left front corner. We did a couple more laps then called it a day. A shame because otherwise the car seemed solid - the PBS pads are incredibly, embarrassingly noisy on the road but we experienced no fade. Temperatures also seemed fine and the tyres were easily better than the previous 3 different economy brands I had on the car!

LHP_8685-EDIT.jpg

I took the car back to Two Techs the following day and their view was the LHS Sachs had completed failed. Given I'm out next Weds again, I couldn't get any coilovers so instead have two 182 Cup dampers coming as a temporary measure. Probably for the best; i'm trying to be strict on the budget and they were less than £60 new.

I ordered two new boot struts and realised they foul the spoiler on the roof (should have remembered that!), so need to acquire different ones. I have new heater controls (£35) to replace the peeled ones, and an ex-CS member is selling me their full interior carpet (£50). I then have my Sabelt wheel (£250) coming at the end of them month so soon the interior will look new again!

Can anyone confirm that I can fit an earlier Clio's wiper stalk to have the horn at the end of it? I don't really want an aftermarket button...

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Nice update.

Answering your question I'm sure an earlier stalk will fit and an easy job also.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Looks good on track!

The phase 1 stalk is a straight swap so no worries there. It’s the indicator side, not wipers btw.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Sachs just in need of a refurb or are they dead? Can they be fully killed? I sure I read that bmw 1 series struts stop the spoiler fouling on the trophy.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I lol when I see the body roll on that Trophy compared with NSX for example!