ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trouble in the mk2 Clio gear box oil

Clio mk2 1.2
Right lads changed gearbox oil on the clio mk2 1.2 petrol and first drive it was tuff to get it in some gears is tha just the oil circulating or did I use the wrong one or something?? Any help would be appreciated

Clio mk2 1.2
Nah all I know it was bright green😂might give it a day or two if it don’t get better I’ll drain it and go halfords buy some more

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If you haven't got a bottle with the spec of the gearbox oil on, your best bet is ask the neighbour exactly what he's given you. Better still ask him to take a pic of the label then you can upload it on here then people will be able to see if you've been given the wrong stuff.
Did you have any problems changing gear before you changed the oil?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
We're just guessing at this stage if you don't know what grade oil it was.

How much of 'this stuff' did you put in? Should be roughly 3L.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Never come across bright green gearbox oil, as above, if its made your gearbox hard to shift it can't be gearbox oil or at the very least totally the wrong grade

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks like another question / problem that gets asked then the OP never comes back on. I never get why people do that 🤔

Renault Clio 1.2 16
Right lads changed gearbox oil on the clio mk2 1.2 petrol and first drive it was tuff to get it in some gears is tha just the oil circulating or did I use the wrong one or something?? Any help would be appreciated
I own one myself 16 valve model Y reg phase 2 mk2.
I have never had that problem with mine at all.
But you can add Molyslip to the oil..make it slippery should do the trick

Renault Clio 1.2 16
I own a Mk2 Phase 2 1.2 16 valve on a early Y reg..
I have never had a problem with my gearbox at all.
But you can add Molyslip to your new gearbox oil..should do the trick.

2012 clio 1.2 tce
Isn’t it more likely that the gearbox oil comes in 1L bottles and the coolant in 5L?
I’m not sure what’s worse, hypoid 80 in the coolant or coolant in the gearbox…
Proof of the pudding and all that the gearbox wouldn’t have become difficult. I hope he hasn’t changed the coolant yet.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No-one is stupid enough to mistake coolant for gearbox oil are they? You'd know from the viscosity if nothing else.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Alex1.2mk2 - I hate to say it, but if the gearbox oil has been changed and it was crappy before - it should feel significantly improved now. Not the other way around...

Sounds like your box of cogs might be churning completely the wrong fluid.

Clio
Sounds like Automatic or vintage gearoil if not coolant.

" Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is a kind of transmission fluid used in vehicles with self-shifting or automatic transmissions. It is typically coloured red or green to distinguish it from motor oil and other fluids in the vehicle. "

" Green Gear Oil, GL1 (SAE 90, SAE 140), provides the lowest level of performance and is suitable for vintage transmissions. It is very similar to engine oil, having a very low additive content, but is available in much higher (thicker) viscosities to suit gearboxes with unsophisticated oil seals. "

Last edited: