ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trouble starting 182

Mini Cooper S
Just wondered if anyone could help me? The 182 won't start it turns over then cuts dead I think it's the immobiliser kicking in as the red light stays solid. I've looked at the loom to see if any wire is broken but everything looks ok earth straps look ok too. Is there any way around this by doing something with the ecu/immobiliser? Any help would be great as you can see I'm a bit stuck.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sounds like a wiring fault mate as a solid light isn't an actual imobilliser fault, it's the imob being told to stay active despite the key being authorised to start the vehicle because the CAN pre-requisits aren't being met.

Check the x3 blade fuses in the engine bay fuse box to as these can suffer with corrosion and also give a solid red light (x1 30A, x1 15A and x1 5A). If you've got some WD40 or GT85 to hand spray some of this on the terminals to. Obviously check the fuses aren't blown to.

Mick

Mini Cooper S
Sounds like a wiring fault mate as a solid light isn't an actual imobilliser fault, it's the imob being told to stay active despite the key being authorised to start the vehicle because the CAN pre-requisits aren't being met.

Check the x3 blade fuses in the engine bay fuse box to as these can suffer with corrosion and also give a solid red light (x1 30A, x1 15A and x1 5A). If you've got some WD40 or GT85 to hand spray some of this on the terminals to. Obviously check the fuses aren't blown to.

Mick

cheers for that Mick will give it a go!

Racing Blue Clio 182
I'd also check the 3 black\brown relays in the engine fuse box as these suffer from corrosion 2. Also check your battry a mate had same issue when his battery was on it way soon as new battery was fitted started first time and has been fine since

Mini Cooper S
Right this is really doing my head in now I've tried everything suggested and getting nowhere. Is there anything I can do? I've also tried everything from the searches I've done. Any help would be fantastic.

Mini Cooper S
Is there anything I can do to sort the problem at all? Should I get a auto electrician to have a look?

evilb66

ClioSport Club Member
  '02 172
Have you tried the windows?
If i get that problem (although i think it is with a rapidly blinking red light, not a solid one) I just wind the drivers window down.
then while it is down press the down button again, so the relay (near the UCH) clicks. do that once or twice then give starting it a go.

or try the 'hold down the unlock button on the dash til it beeps, then press your key fob button' first, then do the abovementioned window thing.

Phase 2 172
Sounds like you have a broken wire, i've repaired a fair few clio's with broken wires where the bend in the loom above the gearbox is, IIRC i think it was almost always an orange/yellow wire that breaks it runs from the engine fusebox to the ECU, it's relatively easy to check,

Just cut the insulating tape off around the plastic sheathing that protects the loom, pull the wires away from the sheathing, and have a good look about if you spy any green looking parts of wire chances are the wire is corroded through, if you find that repair the wire and go from there

Mini Cooper S
Sounds like you have a broken wire, i've repaired a fair few clio's with broken wires where the bend in the loom above the gearbox is, IIRC i think it was almost always an orange/yellow wire that breaks it runs from the engine fusebox to the ECU, it's relatively easy to check,

Just cut the insulating tape off around the plastic sheathing that protects the loom, pull the wires away from the sheathing, and have a good look about if you spy any green looking parts of wire chances are the wire is corroded through, if you find that repair the wire and go from there

Thanks for the reply mate. I have checked that loom and there isn't anything amiss unfortunately it's doing my head in as I'm thinking about putting it back on the road now and selling my vrs.

I've had this problem before but it's intermittent which I don't understand. I will check around the wiring to see but I would have thought if the wiring was dodgy it would be all the time.

Not done it in a while.. But now I've posted this it will do it in the next day or so, it always does! Haah

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Get it back up here for the end of the month.. Im off for a week an we can tinker!

Mine used to do this all the time, try turning the key between ignition and off quickly, do this a few times and see if it works. Then at least if you get it started you can get it upto Tunsts place to have it looked at properly

Cheers
Scott

Mini Cooper S
Mine used to do this all the time, try turning the key between ignition and off quickly, do this a few times and see if it works. Then at least if you get it started you can get it upto Tunsts place to have it looked at properly

Cheers
Scott

Cheers dude I'll give it a go worth a shot!

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
Don't know if you have one on your car but mine wouldn't start (ph1 172), I just had to reset the big red button near the battery